Are the Democrats about to cook up a fake war

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Northern Ireland is still called Ireland.

It's just a bit to the North.
So Northern Ireland isn't a member state of the United Kingdom? It answers to Dublin and Brussels, not the 10 Downing return address on their substantial welfare checks?

You brought up lots of West and South Slav countries. Remind me. Did the Hapsburgs and Szegedsalamis just all of a sudden realize they had a fuckton of West and South Slavs and just decided oh hell, we better let them form their own breakaway Republics because FecalFace said independence is peaceful?

Or was a generation marched into the machine gun's field of fire?

Vaclav Havel is an exception, not the rule.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Correct.

Politicians and the war machine want us in a state of perpetual war vs a perpetual enemy.

Those seeking "Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none" shall not hold significant public office.
That's sounds cool.

Which figure in the US would be the representative of this thinking?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I always ask "Irish or Northern Irish?"

Because I genuinely want to know.

I always wonder if that's distasteful.
Say Norn Iron, then be like every New Yorker who absorbs whatever bastardized English x Old Country slang makes its way into their working English, and insist, to people born and raised from other countries, what their ear hears the third generation saying in New York is the correct usage.

Edit: Bonus if they're from one of the counties that's part of historical Ulster, but part of today's Ireland, not Northern Ireland. Ilk them as an Ulsterman from Northern Ireland. Lean the f--k in. The Irish LOVE plastic paddies and us having strong opinions on their own snafu!

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
So Northern Ireland isn't a member state of the United Kingdom? It answers to Dublin and Brussels, not the 10 Downing return address on their substantial welfare checks?

You brought up lots of West and South Slav countries. Remind me. Did the Hapsburgs and Szegedsalamis just all of a sudden realize they had a fuckton of West and South Slavs and just decided oh hell, we better let them form their own breakaway Republics because FecalFace said independence is peaceful?

Or was a generation marched into the machine gun's field of fire?

Vaclav Havel is an exception, not the rule.
My point was that the reason that Ireland and Northern Ireland are not one country is precisely because they're not homogenous religiously and culturally.

Like Republika Srpska is within Bosnia.

So I agree with you, I think?

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
No idea, I pretty much quit following politics.

I'm guessing no one - presenting this sort of viewpoint is like poison.
I mean if this anti-war sentiment is so common amongst the American Right, there must a public figure, if not a politician, who represents this movement?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
My point was that the reason that Ireland and Northern Ireland are not one country is precisely because they're not homogenous religiously and culturally.

That depends. Do you admit you were wrong that religious and ethno-cultural independence is always peaceful, or do you fall to your knees. proclaim Sharkbiscuit the Galactic Emperor, and submit because the Celtic Catholics had to fight a WAR to become independent from the Norman-Saxon Protestants?

• Haha
Reactions: plasticbertrand

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
That depends. Do you admit you were wrong that religious and ethno-cultural independence is always peaceful, or do you fall to your knees. proclaim Sharkbiscuit the Galactic Emperor, and submit because the Celtic Catholics had to fight a WAR to become independent from the Norman-Saxon Protestants?
The northern Irish are lowland scots sent by Cromwell to settle Ireland(steal the land).

Reactions: plasticbertrand

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I mean if this anti-war sentiment is so common amongst the American Right, there must a public figure, if not a politician, who represents this movement?
I'm guessing Ron Paul, if anyone, but haven't paid attention to anything he's said in years.

In the USA anti war sentiment is not popular on the right or left.

People have been groomed to think a perpetual state of war is acceptable and even MORAL. lol.

Who is the person on the left advocating "Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none."

?

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016

I dare say that if Protestants and Catholics aren't religiously homogeneous, the US is soon fucked.

• Haha
Reactions: afoaf

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I'm guessing Ron Paul, if anyone, but haven't paid attention to anything he's said in years.
Nobody has because he isn't in office.

People have been groomed to think a perpetual state of war is acceptable and even MORAL. lol.

Who is the person on the left advocating "Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none."

?
Mike Gravel. Just like Ron Paul, very adept at losing Presidential primaries, and no longer in office.

• Haha
Reactions: rice

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016

?
yet most people want us to stay out of fighting in Ukraine and that's what we're doing. Which is great, but also very weak!

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009

?
I'm glad that we can at least agree that Libertarians are the Right.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I thought that N.Ireland perfectly illustrates my point.
It became a country as a result of the Irish WAR of Independence. A WAR.

I dare say that if Protestants and Catholics aren't religiously homogeneous, the US is soon fucked.
Kind of a big deal about it when Kennedy ran in the 60s. That's living memory. But yes the Unionist Protestants and Republican Catholics take it way, way, way further.