Anyone ridden a MOTE Fiji?

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I was in touch with Kirk several months ago, we spoke on the phone and figured out dimensions. I was told my order was in the production queue but I never got any sort of invoice for a deposit. After asking a few times, I just let it go and ordered a similar sort of board from a domestic shaper.

Maybe one day I'll magically get an invoice or told my board actually did get shaped and is ready but not holding breath. Just picked up my local copy. Will see how it goes later this week.

Reactions: Woke AF

cjs2002

Nep status
Jan 24, 2008
I was in touch with Kirk several months ago, we spoke on the phone and figured out dimensions. I was told my order was in the production queue but I never got any sort of invoice for a deposit. After asking a few times, I just let it go and ordered a similar sort of board from a domestic shaper.

Maybe one day I'll magically get an invoice or told my board actually did get shaped and is ready but not holding breath. Just picked up my local copy. Will see how it goes later this week.
Yeah the invoice doesn’t come until Simon gets close to shaping it. I ordered in December and didn’t pay anything until April.

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
I ordered a Massive in August 2021. Was told to expect it around March/April 2022. In July was told that it was next in line and should be done by August. Checked in again in November as I hadn't heard anything. Apparently, there was a mix-up with the new ordering system Simon and his son were using. Should be getting it sometime this month, but due to another mix-up with their ordering system, I will now get a Au Go Go too! I had originally ordered the Au Go Go, but tried to add a Massive after riding my friend's. Was told I couldn't add to my order but was allowed to swap it. Anyway, I will get both now...eventually!

YakAk

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 22, 2010
I ordered a Massive in August 2021. Was told to expect it around March/April 2022. In July was told that it was next in line and should be done by August. Checked in again in November as I hadn't heard anything. Apparently, there was a mix-up with the new ordering system Simon and his son were using. Should be getting it sometime this month, but due to another mix-up with their ordering system, I will now get a Au Go Go too! I had originally ordered the Au Go Go, but tried to add a Massive after riding my friend's. Was told I couldn't add to my order but was allowed to swap it. Anyway, I will get both now...eventually!
I wanted a Massive after riding my friends but really did not want to wait a year+ I ended up ordering a Tur Twin Pin from Surf Prescription. Doc had it done in 3 week. I love it! One of my favorite boards, so versatile and fun. I ordered it with a little flatter deck (like the massive), a layer of S cloth on the deck, and a set Doc's twin fins. Still way cheaper in price than a MOAT.

Last edited:

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
I wanted a Massive after riding my friends but really did not want to wait a year+ I ended up ordering a Tur Twin Pin from Surf Prescription. Doc had it done it 3 week. I love it! One of my favorite boards, so versatile and fun. I ordered it with a little flatter deck (like the massive), a layer of S cloth on the deck, and a set Doc's twin fins. Still way cheaper in price than a MOAT.
Interesting you would say that... Someone here is selling a 6'8 Tur Twin Pin that looks nice. I've been mildly considering selling my Twinsman to buy the Doc board. Think I would end up riding the Twin Pin more, looks like it would work in a lot more conditions than the Twinsman

Reactions: YakAk

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I wanted a Massive after riding my friends but really did not want to wait a year+ I ended up ordering a Tur Twin Pin from Surf Prescription. Doc had it done it 3 week. I love it! One of my favorite boards, so versatile and fun. I ordered it with a little flatter deck (like the massive), a layer of S cloth on the deck, and a set Doc's twin fins. Still way cheaper in price than a MOAT.
Surfed with a mexi chick on this trip who was schooling everyone on a Tur Twin. She had good style and was charging the double up lefts from deep.

Unfortunately I didnt get to fondle the board.

San Gabriel Valley local

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2002
San Gabriel Valley, CA
Interesting you would say that... Someone here is selling a 6'8 Tur Twin Pin that looks nice. I've been mildly considering selling my Twinsman to buy the Doc board. Think I would end up riding the Twin Pin more, looks like it would work in a lot more conditions than the Twinsman
I got a 6'8" Tur Twin Pin as a user friendly option for small waves, a longboard alternative when I don't want to put the work in riding a short board, but it's more versatile than that. I love it, it's fast in a drivey way and easy to generate speed, and turns feel flowing and free. Rocker is relatively low and at that length it has a lot of rail for me compared to what I normally ride, so I use it more as a cruiser and you kind of have to anticipate and draw out turns. I've only ridden it in OC beach breaks but I think it would go great at point breaks or reef breaks like north county SD. Ordering from Doc and Amber is an A+ experience if you go custom.

Reactions: Sam_K

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
I got a 6'8" Tur Twin Pin as a user friendly option for small waves, a longboard alternative when I don't want to put the work in riding a short board, but it's more versatile than that. I love it, it's fast in a drivey way and easy to generate speed, and turns feel flowing and free. Rocker is relatively low and at that length it has a lot of rail for me compared to what I normally ride, so I use it more as a cruiser and you kind of have to anticipate and draw out turns. I've only ridden it in OC beach breaks but I think it would go great at point breaks or reef breaks like north county SD. Ordering from Doc and Amber is an A+ experience if you go custom.
Cool, thanks for the info. Definitely sounds like a good board. Custom isn't an option here, it's the 6'8 or bust.

Cheers

Dec 10, 2011
Have a 6'6 Fiji and it goest great in good waves....got it from Kirk and he was a pro to deal with. Also have a 6'6 and 6'10 Christenson Long Phish and both love point breaks.

Reactions: aldo

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Ho Lee Phuk....$2280 Aud for a used 6'1" MOTE.
o_O
Maybe peeps looking at Simon Jones and Torren Martyn have fused the two together in their addled brains and think its the second coming of Jesus or something but that board ain't going to make you walk on water.
:drowning:
There's a brand new 7'2" Massive for $1800 ( $1184.04 USD) at my local shop. Surely shipping can't be too expensive.

EntropyFletch

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 20, 2006
San Diego
Just got my 6'7" MOTE Fiji in the mail. Ordered in September 21, but delayed due to COVID till January 22. So about 15 months all told. Arrived via mail today without a scratch and looks/feels magnificent! Now I just gotta wait whoknowshowlong for some decent waves to ride it in...