Anyone ridden a MOTE Fiji?

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Thinking about ordering a MOTE Fiji but never having seen one in person, much less ridden one, I'd be curious to know if anyone has ridden one and how they go and in what conditions.

Was thinking of it as a step up/travel board for when my local beach break gets bigger and more hollow and then travel. I'm basically over standard shortboards and want something with more glide to take the place of my 6'0 Ghost which has been my go to when it's time to get off my egg.

Have owned or ridden a couple of other shapers takes on the concept- a Doc Tur Twin and a Maurice Cole round pin twin but neither was quite right. The Doc was just too flat in the wrong places and didn't work in hollower waves (but went well in SoCal reefs). The MC was closer but a little too wide in the nose and pulled in the tail.

I'm guessing something around 6'6-6'8 in order to get the glide but not too big to fit in tighter barrels. I'm 5'10 x 165.

Thoughts?

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
I don't reckon you can order 'em right now, can ye? His website says he's not taking orders right now. Even when he is taking orders I think it takes about a year to get a board from him. So you might be waiting a while.

For what it's worth, I had a tracks twinny that felt good, but not like transcendent. My friend had a 6'6 Fiji that he eventually sold too, he didn't ride it into the ground.

Those are two very weak data points, but they're the only information I have on the topic. Good luck out there.

Reactions: JDJ

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
I've always been put off by the name 'Fiji'. Makes me think it's a board for very serious surf, but the guy who handles the emails at MOTE told me it's actually got a wide range. He said it can work in fun size beachies to firing south pacific reef passes and all the in-between. I was going to order one, but then I tried my friend's Massive and went with that. That board is ridiculous. His was a 7'10 and it would glide into high tide wedges super early, but then feel really responsive when I was up and riding. I went for a 7'4. Ordered it in August and was told it should be ready in March/April. Still waiting for that golden email...

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Thanks for the info. I'm prepared for the wait. Figure I've wanted one for a few years and tried a few substitutes so could have had a real one by now.

cjs2002

Nep status
Jan 24, 2008
Thanks for the info. I'm prepared for the wait. Figure I've wanted one for a few years and tried a few substitutes so could have had a real one by now.
That was my thinking as well. I have 6'8 fiji on order. expecting it sometime in the fall!

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
I have a 6'4 Mote Fiji. It's an awesome board. An absolute work of art. I'm stoked to have it and will never sell it.

Does the board rip? Yeah absolutely, it's super dialed in and does have a pretty wide range. I like to ride it in 4' - 8' OB that isn't super heavy but may have the occasional barrel. It's a really fun board for those early winter conditions.

Is the board transcendent? No, it's a great board but it's definitely not a life-changing experience. Certainly a very solid (maybe the most solid) option for this kind of board but there are other options.

cjs2002

Nep status
Jan 24, 2008
I have a 6'4 Mote Fiji. It's an awesome board. An absolute work of art. I'm stoked to have it and will never sell it.

Does the board rip? Yeah absolutely, it's super dialed in and does have a pretty wide range. I like to ride it in 4' - 8' OB that isn't super heavy but may have the occasional barrel. It's a really fun board for those early winter conditions.

Is the board transcendent? No, it's a great board but it's definitely not a life-changing experience. Certainly a very solid (maybe the most solid) option for this kind of board but there are other options.
i think we need a thread for transcendent boards.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
A couple more suggestions for 7'ers that a shortboard rider will really enjoy without having to wait year/years for.
Chilli Mid strength and a Tolhurst Mid 6 7'er. The Tolhurst would have the extra toughness for a travel board. The board that 100% does what they say it can do in the description and reviews. With its quad/thruster options it opens up a good number of fin variables.

Reactions: MathDebater

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
A couple more suggestions for 7'ers that a shortboard rider will really enjoy without having to wait year/years for.
Chilli Mid strength and a Tolhurst Mid 6 7'er. The Tolhurst would have the extra toughness for a travel board. The board that 100% does what they say it can do in the description and reviews. With its quad/thruster options it opens up a good number of fin variables.
+1 on the mid strength as an all arounder. very lively and the best of the bunch imho.

townsend with a round tail is a better option as a stap. paddle machine and likes bigger faces. i would never wait 1 year and pay $2000 for a mote. i could yolo like 12 albums in that time-frame.

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
Might be a nice guy and seems to be doing well with his service but his main language of choice is insufferable hipster surf-douche...you've been warned.

• Haha
Reactions: Pescado713

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
The Aussie exchange rate is pretty good right now. They're really not much more than a boutique US shape so it's really just the wait that I can handle.

My friend just bought a Tolhurst Mid 6 7' and we're heading to Mexico today so I'll have a chance to try it in some good surf. Looks a little more performanc-y than I'm looking for but open to trying it out. I do like that construction for a travel board. Wish it was a bit smaller though.

The Chili looks a little more high performance than I'd like. Looking for more of a glidey egg feel than a higher volume shortboard with lots of rocker.

Having tried the Doc and the Maurice Cole, I've kinda whittled down what I like in these sort of boards and the MOTE looks like it has what I'm looking for but open to other suggestions.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
The Aussie exchange rate is pretty good right now. They're really not much more than a boutique US shape so it's really just the wait that I can handle.

My friend just bought a Tolhurst Mid 6 7' and we're heading to Mexico today so I'll have a chance to try it in some good surf. Looks a little more performanc-y than I'm looking for but open to trying it out. I do like that construction for a travel board. Wish it was a bit smaller though.

The Chili looks a little more high performance than I'd like. Looking for more of a glidey egg feel than a higher volume shortboard with lots of rocker.

Having tried the Doc and the Maurice Cole, I've kinda whittled down what I like in these sort of boards and the MOTE looks like it has what I'm looking for but open to other suggestions.
MC was backed up at time so I got a It 2win from Stretch instead but I was going to get a MC egg with alpha omega bottom and twin set up or like I said the alpha omega has a pretty beaked nose and works great when the wave has push not so great in mush.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise

chilli is weird in that it works in everything. knee to overhead it just goes. has good glide too. kinda blew my mind on boars and expectations