Anyone into Single Malt Scotch Whisky?

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Holy sh!t it's a sign...

I'm on this whisky group and sometimes they have some crazy deals. Today the craziest deal... Lagavulin 16 which costs around R$1.100 here (+- 195usd) , for R$700!! That's close to the actual price in the US which is already expensive, but comparably so cheap here (for a very expensive malt. lol).

Problem is I already spent my quota and some this month... insane deal but bad timing. :bricks:

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Yesterday I poured some GlenAllachie 12 again... man, that whisky is just ridiculous... too fucking good, seriously. I had some GlenDronach 12 afterwards and can now confirm, GlenAllachie 12 is my current favorite (from my bottles obviously... my overall winner so far is the Balvenie 15 Single Barrel, sherry... there's also a ex-bourbon single barrel).

Also had some Laphroaig 10, another piece of awesome.

Now seriously... gotta slow down... my recently purchased bottles are all close to halfway done already!! Why is this so freaking good?

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
View attachment 147733

GlenFarclas 12... meh. Good for the price being a 1 liter bottle. Will use mostly to warm up my palate before pouring something good. It's not bad, it just pales in comparison to my other ex-bourbon+ex-sherry 12yr olds. A bit of of a metallic taste... some bitterness... and a bit of spice which is good.

I bought it knowing it would probably be meh... Nothing similar at this price point so all in all, worth it.
I had to revisit this. I had quite a few drams of this and I'm liking it more and more with each pour. Not really tasting metal like I did before... It's actually quite pleasant. not super sherried, but it's there... there's also some orange zesty thing going on. That with the ex-bourbon influence... it's just an easy drinker. Gotta let it rest though, alcohol a bit strong on this one even though it's just 43%.

Reactions: silentbutdeadly
Mar 2, 2019
All this rain and wind combined with a seemingly endless cold has kept me out of the water and into a bottle.

My fav's have mostly been mentioned:
Bunnahabhain 12
Glendronach 12
Caol Ila 12
Hibiki 12

But I'm loving the Irish now with Red Breast Lustau!

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
All this rain and wind combined with a seemingly endless cold has kept me out of the water and into a bottle.

My fav's have mostly been mentioned:
Bunnahabhain 12
Glendronach 12
Caol Ila 12
Hibiki 12

But I'm loving the Irish now with Red Breast Lustau!
Bunnahabhain 12 and GlenDronach 12 are some of my favorites along with GlenAllachie 12. Sherry goodness abound!

One that surprised me is Arran 10... man, that is good stuff! I will always keep my eyes peeled for Arran sales after this.

• Love
Reactions: smithgrind
Mar 2, 2019
Bunnahabhain 12 and GlenDronach 12 are some of my favorites along with GlenAllachie 12. Sherry goodness abound!

One that surprised me is Arran 10... man, that is good stuff! I will always keep my eyes peeled for Arran sales after this.
Will try the Arran; hadn't heard of it before. Here's an exerpt from Master of Malts:
Tasting Note by The Chaps at Master of Malt
Nose: Herbal, biscuity, hedgerow greenness and dried grass, like a long English summer's afternoon.
Palate: Sweet. Quite malty, digestive biscuits, followed by green fruits and Cox's apple peel.
Finish: Slightly bitter, maltiness.

Like spectating at a SurfExpo shape off: a bunch of drunks ooing and awing over 1/32" of concave here, 1/16" of tail kick there, wide point 1/8" forward, rails pinched, and so on!

• Love
Reactions: brukuns