Anyone into Single Malt Scotch Whisky?

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
I didn't think it tasted like proper Caol Ila personally (which is freaking amazing) but who knows. For 30ish dollars it might be the best value in scotch assuming you live near a Costco.

I would totally stock Caol Ila regularly if it wasn't 90 bucks bottle even at total wine....I'll just have to settle for Peat Monster by Compass Box.
the other oft-cited candidate is bruichladdich, especially port charlotte

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Son told me for xmas eve bring a bottle of the peat monster to try. He really likes flavor blended scotch and he also prefers drinking bourbon:cheers:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Not peated though so aside from that "salty" trait it probably tastes more like a Speysider.
I found the Campbeltown (Springbank) booze more 'salty' than the Islay types.

Just buy two bottles of Laphroaig 10. Struggle through the first and by the end of the second you will love it.
The family (including Texas sister and brother-in-law) are in town (Portland) for a funeral.

Post wake, I bring him to Ringler's Annex for time away from the larger family dynamics.

Order us some Laphroiag.

Give him some warning.

"Glargh! What the hell!"

Some conversation is had.

He hands it to me, orders some Markers Mark.

"How did you ever get to like this?"

"Well, there was a woman, a tour, rain, weird conversations on the mainland with locals, a ferry ride in bad seas, rental car that had halfway dead battery, too much fish and chips....."

"Ok, makes some sense, memories."

Last edited:

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Really enjoyed the Macallan 12 Sherry Oak. Quite an easy drinker... but rather simple. You get sherry and that's pretty much it. good thing I really enjoy sherry.

This one just arrived. It's very complex... you get a lot of sherry but also a lot of the bourbon cask influence... I'm still trying to understand it... There are some notes I couldn't quite get my head around yet... I guess it's all part of the journey. I did expect the body to be a little thicker. at 48% this one would probably be better enjoyed in the Winter (and Summer is just getting started down here) so I'll probably not drink it much in the coming months... just a bit every now and then to try and crack what it's about.

glengarioch12.jpeg
glengarioch12-2.jpeg

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
After trying it again I kinda identified the tasting note that was throwing me off a bit... I get the exact same note on my Talisker 10... I think it's very light peat influence. The Talisker is more peated for sure, but that note is definitely there. The difference is that I also get lots of Sherry on the Glen Garioch... and lots of bourbon cask influence too. I would prefer if there wasn't any peat at all, just leave it to the actual peat monsters. Still a good whisky but I expected a bit more tbh...

Each of my bottles have been a journey though so I don't expect this one to be any different. Maybe it will grow on me with time. At the moment of writing the Bunna 12 has taken back the lead from the GlenDronach... GlenAllachie 12 is climbing too, Have been enjoying it quite a lot and there's one on sale so I'll probably get a refil. Waiting for the Bunna 12 and Balvenie Doublewood to be on sale again, I love those 2 so much but they're both on their last legs (and so are my savings lol).

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
at 48% this one would probably be better enjoyed in the Winter (and Summer is just getting started down here)
At some point for me the ABV takes over the flavor and it's all heat, especially when it's in the 50%'s and more. Nothing wrong with adding a little distilled water to adjust the ABV to non tongue burning levels. If you don't like peat, you might wanna try a few single pot Irish whiskies. Yellow Spot is a good one. No peat, aged 12 years in sherry, bourbon and malaga barrels. Got that for my BIL a few years ago and after tasting it, wish I had bought it for myself.

Reactions: brukuns

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
It's scorching hot in here, not the best weather to drink whisky... but there's a cold front coming for the weekend, should give us a bit of a relief... That's when I'll probably try this!!!

1672773464709.png

Reactions: silentbutdeadly

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Santa left a few things here... Aside from the Laphroaig 10, also got Bunnahabhain 12 and GlenAllachie 12 replacements, all at excellent prices. Thing is, excellent priced single malts will still leave quite a hole in your wallet. :bricks:

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
That Laphroaig is a beast on the peat scale.
Xmas again this year, "help yourself to some scotch, there's lots on the shelf in the bar". Upper shelf with a few different MacCallans, Oban etc, the shelf "in" the bar was stacked like a storage at a higher end liquor store full of unopened boxes/bottles of scotch and crazy Japanese whiskies. This pic is maybe 1/10th of the lot. I sampled a couple 1oz pours. A little bit of wine and almost no booze consumed this year for all of us but it was there if you wanted it.
image.jpg

• Love
Reactions: brukuns

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
That Laphroaig is a beast on the peat scale.
Xmas again this year, "help yourself to some scotch, there's lots on the shelf in the bar". Upper shelf with a few different MacCallans, Oban etc, the shelf "in" the bar was stacked like a storage at a higher end liquor store full of unopened boxes/bottles of scotch and crazy Japanese whiskies. This pic is maybe 1/10th of the lot. I sampled a couple 1oz pours. A little bit of wine and almost no booze consumed this year for all of us but it was there if you wanted it.
View attachment 145017
That's just beautiful. I have access to tasting some insane expensive whiskies with my inlaw (not that I do)... owning it is something else.

To give you an idea, the first whisky I tasted at his house was a Balvenie 21 Single Barrel... no wonder I got into it ASAP. :LOL: Didn't even know what it was when I tried it.

It's been a while since I visited him and my sis... I really want to go over his huge ridiculous cabinet now that I know what's what.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
That Macallan 18... I have the 12 sherry cask, chill filtered at a measly 40%abv... and it's fucking awesome, definitely feels like 43 or 46%. I will try that 18 eventually, must be bananas.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
It's scorching hot in here, not the best weather to drink whisky... but there's a cold front coming for the weekend, should give us a bit of a relief... That's when I'll probably try this!!!

View attachment 145015
Hot damn this whisky is fantastic! I was not expecting to like it this much right away. Very interesting combination of smoke, iodine, medicine, mud, flowers, nuts, honey, sea... punchy but goes down ridiculously easy at 43%, leaves your tongue numb afterwards. 5 stars for me.

Laphoraig, you got me... I didn't love my Talisker 10, wasn't sure if peat was for me. This laphoraig changes things, now I'm interested. Quarter Cask is next no question.

Reactions: silentbutdeadly