Anyone into Single Malt Scotch Whisky?

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
If you make it to San Diego let us know. I got boards you can borrow.
Thanks SBD. I probably will at some point as I'm not sure I'll do any long trips like I usually do (Yosemite, Vegas, etc). San Diego is one of the places I've explored the least throughout the years so it's a likely target :computer: .

Never traveled there with the kid though, not sure what to expect. It will most likely be a very different routine than I'm used to when I visit.

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
well, there's legoland, the zoo, and sea world so there's that ;)
I keep forgetting sea world is a thing.

I really wanted to take him to the San Diego Zoo (been there, it was cool... unlike the weather... my lighter exploded inside the parked car, that's how fucking hot it was), but I took him to the zoo here a few weeks ago and he was so freaking uninterested that little punk! What he enjoyed most was a little session that had insects. He was way more into the aquarium when we took him, not very far apart either.

Gonna have to think this through. Is there an insect zoo somewhere in socal? He would dig that big time. Seaworld has the rides but he's too little for those.

Too many options is the type of problem I like to have :dancing:

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Hmmmm. Good. Never judge a dram by your first glass, but first impression was just a tad bit underwhelming. I heard this was better than the Arran 10... didn't drink 'em side by side but my first impression is that the Arran 10 is considerably better for my taste.

Reminded me of the Glenmorangie 10... albeit on a higher ABV, unchillfiltered and uncolored... also a bit more complex... but not too much. Really spirit driven... young. But it was far from bad... I'm sure I'll come around, I think most of my bottles took some time to understand and really appreciate... this being a 1l bottle I'll have plenty other chances to do just that :ROFLMAO: . It does feel like a warm weather dram, so yay!? Also, the color is extremely light, the lightest colored whisky I have by far. I guess that's expected when they're matured exclusively in ex-bourbon casks (and don't add freaking caramel).

View attachment 150411

Also I don't think I was really in a whisky mood today, but I was anxious to try this. Took me 2 hours to finish this little glass, hahahaha. I'll try it again this weekend, see how it goes. I did add a wee bit of water before I was done, it got really hazy... I like that. Chillfilter my ass MFs.
and like a good stiffy, this one's growing on me.

Despite being a little young and rebel, the flavour is just vibrant and refreshing. It's a bit sweet and sour and has a hidden salty note which I can't always taste. Excellent buy for a 1 liter bottle.

And now I'm probably done buying whisky until my trip so I can save some dough... than I'm gonna up the ante. Plan on bringing home at least 3 bottles, only stuff that would cost me a liver here in Brazzoland.

The collection is looking good for a beginner, I'm sure any whisky drinker would find something to like here.
1679363247369.png

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Never tried Irish Whisky. My father in law has a bottle of Jameson lying around and he doesn't drink, but I hear that sucks and is meant only for mixing, so I didn't even bother stealing it for myself.

I'm on this whatsapp group that has some crazy deals (for brazil) and this popped up today for the equivalent of $90, they called it deal of the year. Didn't even consider it because I don't even know if I would like that style of whisky.

1679430251706.png

Reactions: Joshua2415

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Cask strength
1679430323433.png

If I'm reading this right it spent 8 years in whatever cask is their regular cask and then finished for 2 years in ex-Sauternes casks. It's probably fucking awesome.

Reactions: Joshua2415

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Stole a few bottles from my father inlaw today. Just because.

a Logan 12 year old... they don't make the 12 year old anymore. Tried it... not bad, but when compared to my other bottles... yeah, it's bad. Will keep it for mixing when fags who CHOKe when drinking neat pop about.

A Grants Family Reserve from a thousand years ago. lol. Didn't open it yet, but it's a NAS blend, how good can it be. Will probably be used for drinks too. At least it's 43%, the family reserve today is 40%, how gay is that.

And finally a Jack Daniel's N.7. Just so I can say I have a bottle of american whiskEy... but there's always someone who loves that sh!t, so good to have even even it tastes like sh!t. Might even be passable with ice if I just want to get drunk...

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Stole a few bottles from my father inlaw today. Just because.

a Logan 12 year old... they don't make the 12 year old anymore. Tried it... not bad, but when compared to my other bottles... yeah, it's bad. Will keep it for mixing when fags who CHOKe when drinking neat pop about.

A Grants Family Reserve from a thousand years ago. lol. Didn't open it yet, but it's a NAS blend, how good can it be. Will probably be used for drinks too. At least it's 43%, the family reserve today is 40%, how gay is that.

And finally a Jack Daniel's N.7. Just so I can say I have a bottle of american whiskEy... but there's always someone who loves that sh!t, so good to have even even it tastes like sh!t. Might even be passable with ice if I just want to get drunk...
Can you get many of the premium American bourbons in Brazil?

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Can you get many of the premium American bourbons in Brazil?

We can get plenty, but I don't know much about bourbon to confirm. Buffalo Trace, Woodford Reserve, those can be found rather easily. Elijah Craig for example can still be found but you have to look harder and it will be more expensive. Others are gonna be way harder to find, but there are many people who bring from abroad to sell, so my guess is you'll have enough options to be satisfied if that's what you're into (you will probably pay almost double on the average, that's valid for most scotch whiskies too).

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Had a little BBQ yesterday for the family, Inlaw came bearing gifts :love:!

1680552437443.png

He knew I was missing a Cask Strength on my shelf and he had 2 of this. Smells awesome, can't wait to give it a try. Trying it neat at first but def adding water. Awesome.
1680552551389.png

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
I'm starting to research scotch prices in the US for my upcoming trip and that's having an unexpected but very welcome side effect... Prices in the US are soooo much cheaper than prices here that I simply don't feel like buying anything anymore.

Like, any 12 year old I may decide to buy here I could get a 15 or even an 18 year old for the same price in the US if I just wait until September. It all seems so freaking cheap in the US, how come don't you all have top notch bottles absolutely clogging up your cabinets? Imagine getting your paycheck in dollars on top of the super cheap prices, what a treat. Lucky bastards.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Thanks SBD. I probably will at some point as I'm not sure I'll do any long trips like I usually do (Yosemite, Vegas, etc). San Diego is one of the places I've explored the least throughout the years so it's a likely target :computer: .

Never traveled there with the kid though, not sure what to expect. It will most likely be a very different routine than I'm used to when I visit.
legoland and the zoo are worth a visit.

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
legoland and the zoo are worth a visit.
Def going to Legoland... not sure about the zoo because took my kid to the one we have here and he was incredibly uninterested. I would go for sure if I hadn't gone before though... but I did.

Kid is into Aquariums. I'm checking what are the best ones in SoCal.