America's workers still struggle despite strong jobs reports....

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
You are right. Mine is much harder. That was my point. Not too many teachers require surgery and hospitalizations from their work.
lots of construction site shootings?

your work sculpts the minds of citizens and future leaders?

• Haha
Reactions: Ifallalot

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
to claim that being a builder is the same as being an educator
is utterly asinine.

but, yeah, I've never heard of a mass shooting at a construction
site.....do you have statistics on that?

I mean, everyone who works at a school now thinks about school
shootings...look at all the iron fences and security protocols being
implemented...regardless of likelihood.

it's a thing.

do you think about sharks when you surf?

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
to claim that being a builder is the same as being an educator
is utterly asinine.

but, yeah, I've never heard of a mass shooting at a construction
site.....do you have statistics on that?

I mean, everyone who works at a school now thinks about school
shootings...look at all the iron fences and security protocols being
implemented...regardless of likelihood.

it's a thing.

do you think about sharks when you surf?
Iron fences and security protocols have been a thing

But the people who are implementing them are also terrible at math. The fact of the matter is the vast majority of people will never be involved in a mass shooting or a school shooting. Do you realize why they make national news? Because they're rare. Fender benders aren't being talked about by David Muir

Your shark example proves my point. No, I don't think about sharks because the odds of me being bitten by one are slim to none. I have a far greater chance of dying driving to surf or crossing the PCH

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
But that doesn't mean I think every surfer's comparison was valid. The only thing I could see if that he has to be the adult in the room with a bunch of children

Reactions: afoaf

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Every teacher I could think of offhand is making between $95k and $110k BEFORE benefits

Even in expensive areas that is a healthy wage
The only teachers making that much (the low end) would have to have been at the job about 20 years and taken a lot of extra course work (Master's degree at least). And that's before taxes. To be the at the high end of your quote they'd have to be working summer school. The "transparency" website must be a joke. Those are upper level administrator's salaries.

I'm not saying teachers are low paid. Teachers who say they are low paid probably never worked as laborers. I worked in various aspects of construction for about 15 years (for a boat builder, contractors, furniture makers...) and because of that, the teacher pay seems pretty good. Benefits too. I can never complain about the benefits. But to say we are high paid is also misleading. Whenever I see statistics about salaries, the average teacher is right about in the middle.

And I guess it depends on where you teach, but the stress level can be extremely high. That's why I'm getting out as soon as I can with my minimum wage pension.

The points in the following table refer to post graduate education units.

Last edited:

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
What a joke? Because it lays out all of the pay numbers for everyone to see?

PS- "benefits" aren't only health, dental, and vision, retirement is included in that number as well
Homeboy literally gave a firsthand experience as to why that site is a “joke” and inaccurate and you just dig your heals in the sand even deeper.

Sometimes you’re better off admitting you are wrong.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
The only teachers making that much (the low end) would have to have been at the job about 20 years and taken a lot of extra course work (Master's degree at least). And that's before taxes. To be the at the high end of your quote they'd have to be working summer school. The "transparency" website must be a joke. Those are upper level administrator's salaries.

I'm not saying teachers are low paid. Teachers who say they are low paid probably never worked as laborers. I worked in various aspects of construction for about 15 years (for a boat builder, contractors, furniture makers...) and because of that, the teacher pay seems pretty good. Benefits too. I can never complain about the benefits. But to say we are high paid is also misleading. Whenever I see statistics about salaries, the average teacher is right about in the middle.

And I guess it depends on where you teach, but the stress level can be extremely high. That's why I'm getting out as soon as I can with my minimum wage pension.

The points in the following table refer to post graduate education units.

Do you teach now? Why are you denying the data on the transparency site?

It is correct. My brother and I share our salaries with each other and that site is correct down to the penny for him

No one ever said the job isn’t stressful, but that’s not the point here, the point is that the job is not underpaid, just like every other government worker in CA

Look up the police and fire salaries on that site

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Homeboy literally gave a firsthand experience as to why that site is a “joke” and inaccurate and you just dig your heals in the sand even deeper.

Sometimes you’re better off admitting you are wrong.
He did not give a firsthand account. He misunderstood how the “benefits” portion was calculated and was, simply wrong

Out if pocket medical costs aren’t subtracted from salary totals in any type of job. Homeboy didn’t realize how much money goes to her retirement

Go back and read his post again. Sometimes you’re better off just keeping your mouth shut

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
He did not give a firsthand account. He misunderstood how the “benefits” portion was calculated and was, simply wrong

Out if pocket medical costs aren’t subtracted from salary totals in any type of job. Homeboy didn’t realize how much money goes to her retirement

Go back and read his post again. Sometimes you’re better off just keeping your mouth shut
So he’s wrong about his own wives benefits because you #ireaditontheinternet?

Yeah that makes sense.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
For MBP

“So I looked up my wife. They got her base pay correct, but magically gave her $28K of benefits. Her employer cost of health, dental, and vision is actually just under $12K. For those benefits she pays another $9000/yr with an $8K deductible. And she only gets 10 paychecks a year.”

When you look at the site on mobile, there are less columns and no roll over menu. When you look at it on a computer you can roll over each heading and see how it is calculated. The “Benefits”
column says Health + Retirement in the roll over menu.

So the worst I’m guilty of here is giving a site with a shitty mobile GUI

I wish i could see how much my company pays total for my benefits. I know how much they give for pension

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I wish i could see how much my company pays total for my benefits. I know how much they give for pension
your pay stub may show the amount your employer contributes to your
health, vision, dental, life, etc

I'm not sure that equates to literal cost, but it at least shows you how much
they contribute on your behalf.

I was just digging in to this today as my recent pay has been a few hundred
higher...it turns out I've maxed the social security deduction for the year so
it's a nice little spiff for christmas shopping.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
your pay stub may show the amount your employer contributes to your
health, vision, dental, life, etc

I'm not sure that equates to literal cost, but it at least shows you how much
they contribute on your behalf.

I was just digging in to this today as my recent pay has been a few hundred
higher...it turns out I've maxed the social security deduction for the year so
it's a nice little spiff for christmas shopping.
Yeah I love when i hit that every year

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Do you teach now? Why are you denying the data on the transparency site?

It is correct. My brother and I share our salaries with each other and that site is correct down to the penny for him

No one ever said the job isn’t stressful, but that’s not the point here, the point is that the job is not underpaid, just like every other government worker in CA

Look up the police and fire salaries on that site
I didn't say teachers are underpaid. But I posted the salary scale for teachers in LAUSD, the USA's second largest school district and there is just no way a teacher can make $300,000 plus. Maybe they include outside work? Maybe they are real estate agents on the side? Or Jesus?

Last edited:

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Every teacher I could think of offhand is making between $95k and $110k BEFORE benefits

Even in expensive areas that is a healthy wage
I disagree. $110K is not very good money in an expensive area. Maybe if you are 25 and single, or if you live way east of I-5, but if you want to buy a house and raise a family, forget it. With $110K you can maybe afford a $600K house. Not too many of those in the expensive areas where a dump is a million. Plus, IDK how many teachers in those expensive areas are making $110K. Top salary with a Master's degree in Santa Barbara is $94K after 23 years, Ventura is $95K after 27 years, and Santa Monica/Malibu is $100K after 18 years. So you get the idea. In LA Unified they might make a little more but a lot of that is Combat Pay.

With regard to including an employer's cost of benefits as "compensation": This is typical for health and paid time off packages in private industry, but not typical for statutory costs. No employer would consider their mandated-by-law portion of an employee's Social Security contributions or SDI costs as "benefit" or as part of a compensation package; it's just part of the cost of doing business. However, Transparent California does. Apparently, they include as "benefits" the district STRS contributions that are payments mandated by law. I believe that constitutes a large part of the "Benefits" listed in Transparent California. So I guess I stand (partly) corrected, everysurfer.