America's workers still struggle despite strong jobs reports....

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
OK genius-boy, I'll do your homework for you. In today's lesson you'll learn how even people with double-digit IQs can easily determine a teacher's salary and pension benefits.

CA law states that teacher salary schedules are public documents, so all you have to do is google your school district's salary schedules; it's usually the first hit. Let's use Ventura as an example. Ventura is a nice place.

The lowest starting salary is $44K, the most a teacher will ever make is at 27 years with a Masters degree, and that salary is $95K. You will never get a raise after that, but let's say you gut it out for those last 3 years without a raise and put in 30.

Now you can go to calstrs.com and go to their handy-dandy retirement calculator. Punch in the numbers and you will find out that someone who puts in 30 years and retires at 55 gets about $48K/year; if they put in 30 and retire at 60 they get about $65K/year. BTW there are exactly zero insurance benefits with a STRS retirement. That $65K comes out to about $4450 after taxes per month. Start subtracting for medical insurance, property taxes, homeowners insurance, car payments, etc. and you really don't have a lot of spending money to live on, and if your house isn't paid off, forget it. Retired teachers who only have their STRS do not live well.

Now, let's say you want to buy a year of what's called "permissive service", to retire with 31 "years" of service. There's a calculator for that, too. That year will cost you $30K. Your pension will go up by about $180/month, so it will take over 13 years to break even on that investment.

Nobdy becomes a teacher because it's easy, or for the money.
You don't even have to Google

However, when you sort by salary there are some real outliers to what you're talking about

Ol' Jesus there is making $342k a year

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
OK genius-boy, I'll do your homework for you. In today's lesson you'll learn how even people with double-digit IQs can easily determine a teacher's salary and pension benefits.

CA law states that teacher salary schedules are public documents, so all you have to do is google your school district's salary schedules; it's usually the first hit. Let's use Ventura as an example. Ventura is a nice place.

The lowest starting salary is $44K, the most a teacher will ever make is at 27 years with a Masters degree, and that salary is $95K. You will never get a raise after that, but let's say you gut it out for those last 3 years without a raise and put in 30.

Now you can go to calstrs.com and go to their handy-dandy retirement calculator. Punch in the numbers and you will find out that someone who puts in 30 years and retires at 55 gets about $48K/year; if they put in 30 and retire at 60 they get about $65K/year. BTW there are exactly zero insurance benefits with a STRS retirement. That $65K comes out to about $4450 after taxes per month. Start subtracting for medical insurance, property taxes, homeowners insurance, car payments, etc. and you really don't have a lot of spending money to live on, and if your house isn't paid off, forget it. Retired teachers who only have their STRS do not live well.

Now, let's say you want to buy a year of what's called "permissive service", to retire with 31 "years" of service. There's a calculator for that, too. That year will cost you $30K. Your pension will go up by about $180/month, so it will take over 13 years to break even on that investment.

Nobdy becomes a teacher because it's easy, or for the money.
Genius-boy? Yup you sound JUST like some of the public school teachers I had.

So retire at 55? Cool example. Retire at 60? Another cool example. Why so short?

That being said, please explain what the teachers in ifall's post are doing that is so magical?

What is your base pay? What is your medical co-pay? My medical costs 12k a year for me and the mrs. With a 6k co-pay.

What is your retirement if you stay until age 65 like most of us? Then please multiply that figure by 1.25 since you are working 9 of 12 months.

Then please add in your retirement pay as a lump sum if you live until 80 ( which you probably will) divide that amount by years worked. Because that is your actual compensation.

Ifall posted teachers well above 6 figures.

I'm not one of the dogmatics around here who refuse to learn.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Yes, but America also depends on a lot of other types of jobs.

6% of American jobs is in education. Teachers are definitely underpaid. Almost 9% of jobs is in food service. and 5% of jobs is in retail service. 6-7% of jobs is in transportation and driving. Yes, they might not be the most glamorous jobs, but it's a big part of America. These service jobs don't have to pay 100k/year, but it needs to pay a living wage, and the minimum wage at $7.25/hr is not a living wage (comes out to be $15k/year). A person should be able to work 40hrs/week and not only be above poverty level, but be able to have a life. Something to help would be universal health care, so if you get sick/hurt, you do not go into more debt. Another example is you need protections from predatory loans. Economic safety nets needs to be there for our poorest.
Teachers are way overpaid where I live. If you factor in their short school year, vacations, pension at 25 years, benefits and the summer and side gigs they have its a joke.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Yes!

I'm covered in sh!t like the rest of you homos.

I'm here for the comedy and the snappy repartee.

The difference is SOMETIMES I"M FUNNY!

Nor right now

but sometimes

One time?

perhaps at some future date?

:poop:

• Haha
Reactions: GWS_2

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
You don't even have to Google

However, when you sort by salary there are some real outliers to what you're talking about

Ol' Jesus there is making $342k a year
Transparent California. What a joke.

So I looked up my wife. They got her base pay correct, but magically gave her $28K of benefits. Her employer cost of health, dental, and vision is actually just under $12K. For those benefits she pays another $9000/yr with an $8K deductible. And she only gets 10 paychecks a year.

Also, very few teachers actually retire in their 60s. It's a high-burnout occupation for low pay. Less than a quarter of teachers make it to 20 years. My wife works an average of 55 hours a week during those 10 months and most of her colleagues do too- none of them have 40 hour a week jobs. She's at the top of her pay scale so she only gets raises when the union negotiates one; last year hers was 2%, which didn't even cover the increased cost of benefits her district put upon employees.

• Haha
Reactions: Ifallalot

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County

So I looked up my wife. They got her base pay correct, but magically gave her $28K of benefits. Her employer cost of health, dental, and vision is actually just under $12K. For those benefits she pays another $9000/yr with an $8K deductible. And she only gets 10 paychecks a year.

Also, very few teachers actually retire in their 60s. It's a high-burnout occupation for low pay. Less than a quarter of teachers make it to 20 years. My wife works an average of 55 hours a week during those 10 months and most of her colleagues do too- none of them have 40 hour a week jobs. She's at the top of her pay scale so she only gets raises when the union negotiates one; last year hers was 2%, which didn't even cover the increased cost of benefits her district put upon employees.
So, filling in the conversation, most teachers find the job hard, so they quit early, before they are eligible for the gravy pay.

And the benefits cost the tax payer more than the amount that your wife received.

As for the hard work and 55 hours a week, I was bidding plans last night around 8 pm. Lots of us work hard.

For now, I'll stick with my premise that teachers are not underpaid. They freely choose the profession. Part of the compensation is knowing that they have a job for life, and can't be fired.

doubleup

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 18, 2019
"In 1989, the bottom 90 percent of the U.S. population held 33 percent of all wealth. By 2016, the bottom 90 percent of the population held only 23 percent of wealth. The wealth share of the top 1 percent increased from about 30 percent to about 40 percent over the same"

Dealing with wage stagnation? Slackers just need to join the top 1%

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008

What a joke? Because it lays out all of the pay numbers for everyone to see?

PS- "benefits" aren't only health, dental, and vision, retirement is included in that number as well

I just looked up all my kids' teachers and I'd say they're making a comfortable wage for California. I'd be stoked if my wife made as much as a teacher.

My wife gets paid monthly as well. It sucks to budget things, especially when her paychecks can vary wildly because it is commission based

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
Lets do an apples for apples comparison.

My job is similar to a teacher. Trade students for employees. We both spend our days trying to get the unwilling to do what they don't want.

Except my classroom is far more dangerous. And a teacher lifts a book and I lift a beam. And the teacher is hired for life, and I have to audition for every job. And a teacher gets benefits, while I get none. And a teacher knows the paycheck is steady, while I've had lots of clients not pay in full. We both have college degrees. They have credentials, I have a license. They work in a classroom. I sweat or freeze outside. We both get pleasure from a job well done. And we both get paid really poorly when starting out.

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
What a joke? Because it lays out all of the pay numbers for everyone to see?

PS- "benefits" aren't only health, dental, and vision, retirement is included in that number as well

I just looked up all my kids' teachers and I'd say they're making a comfortable wage for California. I'd be stoked if my wife made as much as a teacher.

My wife gets paid monthly as well. It sucks to budget things, especially when her paychecks can vary wildly because it is commission based
You get paid monthly! Damn! I have to front the permit and materials out of my own pocket. I have to bid jobs i never get. I'm in the hole before day one. Then I only get paid when the work is done.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
You are right. Mine is much harder. That was my point. Not too many teachers require surgery and hospitalizations from their work.
As a GC, that’s the stuff you’re supposed to hire someone else to do and pay them accordingly.