Amazon minimum wage increase

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
And?

We've been over this here before. The "Amazon workers need food stamps" headline was misleading at best.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/amazon-employees-food-stamps/

test_article

Kelly Slater status
Sep 25, 2009
Body of Christ, Texas
StuAzole said:
And?

We've been over this here before. The "Amazon workers need food stamps" headline was misleading at best.

I never made any claim for or against Amazon. If I understand your post, Amazon already pays more than all states' welfare eligibility limits except Ohio's. Still, the welfare those 12% of employees are receiving is money supporting Amazon's labor requirement in Ohio.

I was thinking more about home health care workers, fast food workers, delivery drivers, night watchpersons, landscapers, caretakers and a fairly large number of other low-paying occupations.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/04/14/when-work-isnt-enough-to-keep-you-off-welfare-and-food-stamps/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.6fe62c813b8d

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
GromsDad said:
Worth a read: https://nypost.com/2018/10/09/break-up-amazon-before-it-does-any-more-damage-to-america/

Break up Amazon before it destroys our economy?
That's ludicrous.

A big company =/= monopoly.

If the consumers are paying the lowest prices, we all win

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
test_article said:
StuAzole said:
And?

I never made any claim for or against Amazon. If I understand your post, Amazon already pays more than all states' welfare eligibility limits except Ohio's. Still, the welfare those 12% of employees are receiving is money supporting Amazon's labor requirement in Ohio.

I was thinking more about home health care workers, fast food workers, delivery drivers, night watchpersons, landscapers, caretakers and a fairly large number of other low-paying occupations.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/04/14/when-work-isnt-enough-to-keep-you-off-welfare-and-food-stamps/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.6fe62c813b8d
So are you saying the companies are at fault for hiring low-earning employees and paying them market rates? The reason they earn low pay is because they do jobs that anyone can do. A landscape firm will pay what they need to pay to get the job done. If there's a glut of workers, the pay reflects that. If there's a shortage, pay reflects that (see current ag jobs, which pay quite a bit above minimum wage). I don't get the claim you're making.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
Autoprax said:
As a shareholder I encourage Jeff to be nice to his workers.
It is possible to be a capitalist and have conscience.

Some apparently think that capitalism rules out fairness because fairness is not a "legal requirement".

Also see: Yvon Chouinard

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
FecalFace said:
Autoprax said:

Some apparently think that capitalism rules out fairness because fairness is not a "legal requirement".
Not so. I've said several times that I think it's smart business to pay more than market and that employee retention is way more valuable that most companies think.

The business reality, however, is that how much the CEO doesn't really play a part in determining how much factory workers will take home. At $15/hour, Amazon is voluntarily well above minimum wage.

I asked before - how much more would he need to pay for it to be "fair"? Do only the lower level employees get this "fair" pay, or does everyone at the company get the same bump? And what about other companies that are already struggling to compete with Amazon and can't afford to be as generous? Won't Amazon just end up stealing their workers with their higher wages?

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
FecalFace said:
ifallalot said:
Wrong.

Everybody but Amazon workers win.
Why don't Amazon workers go get better paying jobs then?

Are you telling me that there are no other options in Washington or California or Texas?

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
StuAzole said:
FecalFace said:
Autoprax said:

Not so. I've said several times that I think it's smart business to pay more than market and that employee retention is way more valuable that most companies think.

The business reality, however, is that how much the CEO doesn't really play a part in determining how much factory workers will take home. At $15/hour, Amazon is voluntarily well above minimum wage.

I asked before - how much more would he need to pay for it to be "fair"? Do only the lower level employees get this "fair" pay, or does everyone at the company get the same bump? And what about other companies that are already struggling to compete with Amazon and can't afford to be as generous? Won't Amazon just end up stealing their workers with their higher wages?
2019 overall economic growth is project to be 7%. Cost/Wage increase projected at 2%. Corporations are still estimated to make a healthy gross margin.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
stu dog said:
StuAzole said:
FecalFace said:
Autoprax said:

2019 overall economic growth is project to be 7%. Cost/Wage increase projected at 2%. Corporations are still estimated to make a healthy gross margin.
OK. And?

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
StuAzole said:
FecalFace said:
ifallalot said:
Wrong.

Why don't Amazon workers go get better paying jobs then?

Are you telling me that there are no other options in Washington or California or Texas?
I don't understand your line of reasoning.

We are talking about Amazon jobs, not other, better paying jobs.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
StuAzole said:
FecalFace said:
Autoprax said:

$28,000 a year for a full time job, working for the biggest company in the world, with a richest CEO in the HISTORY OF THE WORLD, doesn't constitute a living wage.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
StuAzole said:
stu dog said:
StuAzole said:
FecalFace said:
Autoprax said:

OK. And?
$15/hr minimum wage is not going to hurt amazon. they can afford more too. + benefits. irregardless of Bezo's wealth. it's Wall St holding them back thinking ever hit to Margin/EPS is a bad thing.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
FecalFace said:
ifallalot said:
Wrong.

They are not serfs, they can go somewhere else if they want.

It’s that simple.

Wait, I thought your ilk wanted $15/hour, that’s not enough now?