Alex Baldwin killed his DP!

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
A "real" unmodified semi-automatic handguns will not cycle if this style of blank is used:

View attachment 118327

A prop semi-automatic gun could could, because the barrel has been partially/fully blocked and the expanding gases will have something to push against which in turn causes the slide to reciprocate.

I would expect you could turn a real gun into a prop guy by changing out the barrel (to a barrel that has been partially/fully blocked (and recoil spring?)......but would think it much, much, safer to have a replica prop gun that cannot load live cartridges, or can only use those .22 blanks used for driving nails into concrete.

Who to blame? I'll leave that to the pros.
The gun we are told was a Colt Revolver. Likely a 1873 Army Peacemaker or an 1851 Navy as these are the most popular Colts in Western movies. My post even specifically said in a Colt 6-shooter.

Reactions: Mr Doof

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
LOL

You actually think people are morally outraged and not just using this as a gotcha?
no, I 100% think they are using this as a gotcha

I'm not talking to/about El Ogro....it's the usual idiots to whom I am referring

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
And every person in the chain who failed to assure the safety needs to be prosecuted for wrongful death right down to the guy who pulled the trigger.
Agreed, we should prosecute the people who sold Nikolas Cruz his guns and ammunition, along with his parents.

• Love
Reactions: kidfury and afoaf

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I was thinking you guys are giving this guy a pass you'd NEVER give to someone on the right.
this is obviously an improbable chain of errors that has cost someone a life and has damaged many others

your mistake is assuming other people are as craven as you

Reactions: brukuns

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I'm consistently in favor of waiting to see what the facts are before engaging in histrionic virtue signaling

Reactions: brukuns

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
We’ve already been through this.
We have and you continue to claim that it is not the responsibility of the trigger puller to check and make sure the firearm they are going to use is properly loaded. It is. If the trigger puller is incapable of determining that the firearm is properly loaded, they should not handle the firearm period, end of story.

I feel for Baldwin, I'm a fan and think he is a great comedic actor, however, the responsibility for this persons death lays at his feet.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
We have and you continue to claim that it is not the responsibility of the trigger puller to check and make sure the firearm they are going to use is properly loaded. It is. If the trigger puller is incapable of determining that the firearm is properly loaded, they should not handle the firearm period, end of story.

I feel for Baldwin, I'm a fan and think he is a great comedic actor, however, the responsibility for this persons death lays at his feet.
I believe that the catch here is the context of a film set.

there are protocols in place there.

I don't know how it all works, but my sense is that actors do not check guns before using them on set because there is a well defined protocol

maybe someone can clarify

in any other scenario, when someone hands you a firearm, you are certainly correct

this seems like a corner case

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that if we entrusted actors to be the last line of defense when it comes to safety on set, particularly when it comes to firearms, that there would be a lot more accidents then there are.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I believe that the catch here is the context of a film set.

there are protocols in place there.

I don't know how it all works, but my sense is that actors do not check guns before using them on set because there is a well defined protocol

maybe someone can clarify

in any other scenario, when someone hands you a firearm, you are certainly correct

this seems like a corner case
Yes, I’ve said it endlessly in this thread. Filmmaking is one of the places where all of the traditional rules of gun handling are frequently broken by design. Example, pointing a gun at something you don’t intend to shoot. Actors routinely point firearms at other actors, at extras, directly at the camera and those standing behind it, etc. Things that gun owners in the real world should never under any circumstances do. It’s gun safety 101 but you wouldn’t have a lot of the movies you do if Hollywood adhered to this. That’s why they take such drastic measures. Until we hear otherwise this sounds pretty clearly like a case of a mismanaged, low budget film where they cut corners, hired incompetent people and failed to adhere to protocol with deadly consequences. Baldwin is potentially up shits creek, not because he was the trigger man, and not because he failed to check the firearm, but because he was a producer on a film that was cutting corners,failing to address multiple complaints about safety violations including previous gun misfires. The production was likely operating under an LLC and should have insurance but that doesn’t mean he and other producers may still face some personal and perhaps criminal liability.

Last edited:

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that if we entrusted actors to be the last line of defense when it comes to safety on set, particularly when it comes to firearms, that there would be a lot more accidents then there are.
The actor is the final link in the chain and has OR SHOULD HAVE a responsibility to check the firearm and handle it safely.