Album Surfboards

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
not a jab, their guys are great.
Sorry. It came off a bit like Slater proclaiming that Filipe is the world's best small-wave surfer.

The fact that they outsource to cheap foreign labor was NOT common knowledge. This would definitely ding their brand image.

I guess you just inadvertently spilled some industry tea.

Also, fuck NAFTA.

Last edited:

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
meh not really, my business is cruising nice and i'm happiest i've probably ever been, Album doesn't touch my business and believe me when I was a 'disruptor' if I ever was one - life fucking sucked for all the bullshit I got to deal with, I cared too much and took it all way too personally. Album isn't unique in my criticism we're just in an Album thread here and theres some funny stuff.

I can say plenty nice things too; they're running a tight ship for sure, best marketing there is currently without a doubt - its glossy and sexy and looks expensive. It's a wonderful enterprise from a business side far as I can tell, their margin is incredible compared to the industry standard, lots of brands use mexico to manufacture cheaper its a really good move for the bottom line and the builders & craftsman are good down there to boot. Albums on a good one and the only downside is that makes them a beacon for criticism.
wait albums are hecho in mexico??

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
Think he meant there are brands that have production in Mexico? Wasn’t talking about any particular one. Hard to tell, sounded like it was written after a three gummy worm lunch. TBH, he, ie @RyanLovelace4 should STFU - go start your own thread or do a podcast or whatever. Poor form to write that sh!t in this thread.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
:foreheadslap:

My god. Let it go man. Ryan is a great person. He wasn't saying Album did it - hell, I now know an Album ghoster and it's not hecho en Mexico. Don't know who does, but I believe Ryan. He's got no dog in this fight.

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
:foreheadslap:

My god. Let it go man. Ryan is a great person. He wasn't saying Album did it - hell, I now know an Album ghoster and it's not hecho en Mexico. Don't know who does, but I believe Ryan. He's got no dog in this fight.
Nah, fck that guy…. Bad form to post that sh!t in here n I’m no Album fan boy.

Last edited:
Reactions: j_mac
May 18, 2016
Nah, fck that guy…. Bad form to post that sh!t in here n I’m no Album fan boy.
Didn't know that was a secret - I've seen other comments about it elsewhere and its on their Australian website, but not the American site I guess. I said it in a compliment, they have a great business model going and their success shows. If Matt and Album didn't back their builders I'm sure they wouldn't use them, bottom line.
I know they use Watermans guild (whom i also use), Dark Arts (sick stuff) and Varial (who I also use) and Loner (I don't know them) so I'm definitely not throwing shade at quality of manufacturing. 'Mexico' isn't a slang word - a good surfboard builder is a good surfboard builder.

Last edited:

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
Didn't know that was a secret - I've seen other comments about it elsewhere. I said it in a compliment about the guys they use, honestly they have a great business going and their success shows. If Matt and Album didn't back their builders i'm sure they wouldn't use them, end of story.
I seriously doubt it, at the very least you know it’s gonna be seen as a slinging sh!t/made in Mex inferior. Poor form. … since we’re on the subject, Plenty of manufacturing is as good or superior to made in the USA. Some of the best laminators and sanders I’ve ever seen are Mexican (as in from and live in Mexico) and … gasp they don’t even surf.

Reactions: j_mac