Album Surfboards

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
From the video, at 2:30: does the tail, underside, actually hook down? If so, what can you gain from that?

1707583909132.png

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
From the video, at 2:30: does the tail, underside, actually hook down? If so, what can you gain from that?

View attachment 172525
I think its the deckside foil that hes talking about. Not a fan of the winged round pin outline but VB ripped the crap out of it.

The Albums look a little chunky and loose for Clay. He is so heavy footed and mostpy surfing powerful waves. I wonder if he has much experience surfing boards other than hpsb thrusters?

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I think its the deckside foil that hes talking about. Not a fan of the winged round pin outline but VB ripped the crap out of it.

The Albums look a little chunky and loose for Clay. He is so heavy footed and mostpy surfing powerful waves. I wonder if he has much experience surfing boards other than hpsb thrusters?
No. Parker said in a recent SS pod that he didn’t think Clay hadn’t ridden twins before he rode one of Asher’s on a trip and kept it

Reactions: Aruka

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
I’d bet that the foil and rails on these is vastly different than his HPSBs. His short boards seemed incredibly domed. Whereas Album seems to use a much flatter deck and carry the foam out to rails.

Last edited:

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
I updated the quiver over the last year… generally increasing length and thickness, less so in width. Anyway, here are a few thoughts on them.

The 5’ 10”x19.25x2.38” Freewing is a favorite of mine. Though it can be fun in smaller waves, it excels with waves more push. It has more performance than the VBSM owing to outline and foam distribution. Very addictive feel to this board. Prefer large pivot Vapor Core fins

The 5’8”x19.25”x2.38” Freewing – not as much, got this thinking I wanted a shorter version, and the longer version is much better. This one feels more like a stubby small wave board. Kind of feels like my 5’6” BomDisaster, but the BomDisaster is easier for small waves with some shape.

The 5’9”x19.25x2.38” VB Secret Menu (VBSM) is a great DD. Never a bad surf on this board – it works very well, very versatile, and has good balance. Wider tail outline and beaked nose, catches waves easy, has speed. As good the VBSM is, I still drawn to the 5’ 10” Freewing. Prefer Freestone fins.

The 5’8”x19.25”x2.56” quad Disorder, a recent addition. It feels great! Before this board, I would throw both the VBSM and Freewing in the truck and surf the right board for conditions or interest. The Disorder could be the one board. It has the performance of the Freewing and the ease of the VBSM. Disorder has a similar addictive feel as the Freewing. The board encourages you to go for it. FYI – 5’8” scales perfectly as 5’ 11” BomDia, when placed against each other. So far only used the BomDia quad fins, and there are working well.

The 6’0”x19.75”x2.5 End – different type of board – two words that describe this board - fast and low rocker. I prefer this board in bigger waves that are flatter. When the wave has more shape, better get in early or the board will catch. With that said, got two barrels on it. The board is great, but the low rocker influences when to surf it. Fascination quad fins provide lots of speed and good pivot, BomDia quad fins provide more pivot, and still maintain speed, but a bit less.

The 5’ 6”x19.6”x2.6” End – think Plasmic but looser with more performance – skateboard feel. This is a fun package for smaller waves – it has all the right ingredients. It goes! The inherent speed is blast and have gotten some of my best turns because of it. The flatter rocker works well owing to its short length, even with waves with some shape. In general I would use the 5’ 6” BomDisaster for small waves with shape, however, kind of like the 5’ 6” End as it offers more option. The board works in bigger waves as well. Fins - prefer BomDia quads over the Fascination quads.

Last board to mention – 6’ 4”x19”x2.44 – pulled in swallowtail Modtwin – got this last year, and it felt great, but shelved it over the spring, summer and fall, with the bigger waves this winter, i dusted it off and it has been outstanding. It is a performance shape, rocker and foil, even though it is a twin, it feels like a thruster. It has very good hold. I feel I can push this board in solid surf – haven’t found the limitations yet. This board has been a highlight! Using standard Album NVS twin fins.

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
I updated the quiver over the last year… generally increasing length and thickness, less so in width. Anyway, here are a few thoughts on them.

The 5’ 10”x19.25x2.38” Freewing is a favorite of mine. Though it can be fun in smaller waves, it excels with waves more push. It has more performance than the VBSM owing to outline and foam distribution. Very addictive feel to this board. Prefer large pivot Vapor Core fins

The 5’8”x19.25”x2.38” Freewing – not as much, got this thinking I wanted a shorter version, and the longer version is much better. This one feels more like a stubby small wave board. Kind of feels like my 5’6” BomDisaster, but the BomDisaster is easier for small waves with some shape.

The 5’9”x19.25x2.38” VB Secret Menu (VBSM) is a great DD. Never a bad surf on this board – it works very well, very versatile, and has good balance. Wider tail outline and beaked nose, catches waves easy, has speed. As good the VBSM is, I still drawn to the 5’ 10” Freewing. Prefer Freestone fins.

The 5’8”x19.25”x2.56” quad Disorder, a recent addition. It feels great! Before this board, I would throw both the VBSM and Freewing in the truck and surf the right board for conditions or interest. The Disorder could be the one board. It has the performance of the Freewing and the ease of the VBSM. Disorder has a similar addictive feel as the Freewing. The board encourages you to go for it. FYI – 5’8” scales perfectly as 5’ 11” BomDia, when placed against each other. So far only used the BomDia quad fins, and there are working well.

The 6’0”x19.75”x2.5 End – different type of board – two words that describe this board - fast and low rocker. I prefer this board in bigger waves that are flatter. When the wave has more shape, better get in early or the board will catch. With that said, got two barrels on it. The board is great, but the low rocker influences when to surf it. Fascination quad fins provide lots of speed and good pivot, BomDia quad fins provide more pivot, and still maintain speed, but a bit less.

The 5’ 6”x19.6”x2.6” End – think Plasmic but looser with more performance – skateboard feel. This is a fun package for smaller waves – it has all the right ingredients. It goes! The inherent speed is blast and have gotten some of my best turns because of it. The flatter rocker works well owing to its short length, even with waves with some shape. In general I would use the 5’ 6” BomDisaster for small waves with shape, however, kind of like the 5’ 6” End as it offers more option. The board works in bigger waves as well. Fins - prefer BomDia quads over the Fascination quads.

Last board to mention – 6’ 4”x19”x2.44 – pulled in swallowtail Modtwin – got this last year, and it felt great, but shelved it over the spring, summer and fall, with the bigger waves this winter, i dusted it off and it has been outstanding. It is a performance shape, rocker and foil, even though it is a twin, it feels like a thruster. It has very good hold. I feel I can push this board in solid surf – haven’t found the limitations yet. This board has been a highlight! Using standard Album NVS twin fins.
Does the Disorder have the asym nose? Did you keep the BomDisaster or did the End replace it?

Reactions: j_mac

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
Does the Disorder have the asym nose? Did you keep the BomDisaster or did the End replace it?
Disorder - asym nose, and like it. There is some cool functionality to it that I appreciate (picture relative to the Bom Dia)

I still have the BomDisaster; I like this board, no plans to get rid of it anytime soon. The waves have been really good for some time now, so I haven't surfed the small wave boards much.
2024-02-03 08.05.39.jpg

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
Revamping a full album quiver must cost the same as the economy of a small island nation
Haha - true, overstatment on my end, it wasn't a full quiver revamp - haha, more of shorter board revamp, regardless its not cheap. Luckily I got rid of a number of them before the used market dropped off. I hate selling stuff, and I prefer to sell to a friend at deal.

Reactions: tedshred5 and Havoc

nickpheous

Michael Peterson status
Apr 8, 2008
Huntington Beach
For the Bom Dia owners, what would you consider a good compliment to the BD as a groveler? I was thinking a vesper with the asym fin placement or maybe even keel toe side and quad heel side;setup. That with the Plasmic channel seems like something that would be fast in sloped/soft waves. That’s about the only conditions I don’t like with the BD. I don’t really have a groveler in the quiver at the moment so any feedback would be appreciated.:cheers:

Feb 5, 2024
For the Bom Dia owners, what would you consider a good compliment to the BD as a groveler? I was thinking a vesper with the asym fin placement or maybe even keel toe side and quad heel side;setup. That with the Plasmic channel seems like something that would be fast in sloped/soft waves. That’s about the only conditions I don’t like with the BD. I don’t really have a groveler in the quiver at the moment so any feedback would be appreciated.:cheers:
I love my plasmic - highly recommend

Reactions: manel85 and encladd

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
I agree. Album surfboard, sprinter van, and surf hat... I burn those guys everytime I see them. I love hearing their self entitled girl scream "hey... hey, heyyyyy..." as my spray roosts their face as I fly by on my Tomo.
are you gonna start rockin a man bun like Dan too?

• Haha
Reactions: oeste858

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
Got the Bom Dia out in solid OH+ point waves yesterday. Felt super connected to the board and was able to throw way more spray than I usually do, mostly because of some changes I made over the holidays to my technique.

Spent the winter holidays in Aus/NZ on a family trip. Had the worst luck of all time as it was mostly flat when I was there. I did however manage to get 6 sessions in the Melbourne pool, 2 sessions which were coached. Having someone give you immediate feedback in the water was really helpful, and I was able to tweak what I was doing after every wave. Main thing for me was just staying lower and dropping my back knee