Album Surfboards

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
Left it in sun for 13.7 seconds.
This. The construction is insanely bomber, and has a great feel, and cannot survive 10 seconds at high noon on a beach. Paint that sh!t white.

My 2c / controversial opinion... Carbon fiber "look" has been diluted by 20 years of plastic lams on random objects. It doesn't look good on surfboards either, even when you sorta color it so you can see the weave. Just looks like a giant mistake.

Why put a board that can otherwise outlast you at risk? Plus, if it's a bright, solid color, you can actually see the contours of the shape.

Reactions: waxfoot

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
This. The construction is insanely bomber, and has a great feel, and cannot survive 10 seconds at high noon on a beach. Paint that sh!t white.

My 2c / controversial opinion... Carbon fiber "look" has been diluted by 20 years of plastic lams on random objects. It doesn't look good on surfboards either, even when you sorta color it so you can see the weave. Just looks like a giant mistake.

Why put a board that can otherwise outlast you at risk? Plus, if it's a bright, solid color, you can actually see the contours of the shape.
What paint do you use? Top and bottom? If bottom gets painted do you sand it after?

BTW, about the “carbon look”…

For every 3 people who ask me “is that carbon?” I get at least 1 who asks “is that a soft top?”.

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
What paint do you use? Top and bottom? If bottom gets painted do you sand it after?

For every 3 people who ask me “is that carbon?” I get at least 1 who asks “is that a soft top?”.
Any waterproof spray paint + clear coat.

No need to sand.

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
What paint do you use? Top and bottom? If bottom gets painted do you sand it
I sand with fine grit or green Scotch pad then use Montana Colors water based(same as lam shops use if not airbrushing)

Reactions: oeste858

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD

No sanding after application, but I used DNA and a VERY light rubdown with 220 before 1st coat... YMMV. I think I did 2 coats.

@frontsidegrab ran a strip of tape along the midline to create a faux stringer, which was a nice touch, but we both masked off the logos
1000006174.jpg

Edit: I didnt do a clear coat, to no ill effect thus far.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I sand with fine grit or green Scotch pad then use Montana Colors water based(same as lam shops use if not airbrushing)
Bottom too?

No sanding after application, but I used DNA and a VERY light rubdown with 220 before 1st coat... YMMV. I think I did 2 coats.

@frontsidegrab ran a strip of tape along the midline to create a faux stringer, which was a nice touch, but we both masked off the logos
View attachment 171605

Edit: I didnt do a clear coat, to no ill effect thus far.
Bottom too?

Any waterproof spray paint + clear coat.

No need to sand.
Bottom too?

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I haven’t done bottom of my DA but probably will. Heated up alarmingly fast on a partially cloudy day.
For the deck and rails, I just used the Rustoleum 2X ultra cover spray (matte) that they have at Home Depot in a ton of colors. Clear coat spray as second coat. There was no lams on deck, so I didn’t bother to do any taping. it looks a little DIY garage boar, but it’s fine. I know twins don’t work, but this superchunk is rad.
F387305E-4BD7-49D5-9D38-4D2BC5B3728D.jpeg
FYI Tony recommended sanding the boar lightly first with the green side of sponge. He said otherwise paint doesn’t want to stick to their finish layer.
Hi Tony! :shaka:

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
I haven’t done bottom of my DA but probably will. Heated up alarmingly fast on a partially cloudy day.
For the deck and rails, I just used the Rustoleum 2X ultra cover spray (matte) that they have at Home Depot in a ton of colors. Clear coat spray as second coat. There was no lams on deck, so I didn’t bother to do any taping. it looks a little DIY garage boar, but it’s fine. I know twins don’t work, but this superchunk is rad.
View attachment 171617
FYI Tony recommended sanding the boar lightly first with the green side of sponge. He said otherwise paint doesn’t want to stick to their finish layer.
Hi Tony! :shaka:
I dig the board, but if I'm remortgaging my house to buy a board, I'm spending the extra few bucks to have someone else colour it in the factory.

• Haha
Reactions: ReForest

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I dig the board, but if I'm remortgaging my house to buy a board, I'm spending the extra few bucks to have someone else colour it in the factory.
I did. They (DA) forgot apparently (and didn’t charge for it). Shaper apologized and offered to remake it. Not worth it to me. I was happy to take the (beautifully crafted) boar. I asked Tony (at DA) about painting over the glass and he said it’s super easy to spray and a lot of guys do it. No worries.
…and the boar is everything I hoped it would be. Always a good time.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
I did. They (DA) forgot apparently (and didn’t charge for it). Shaper apologized and offered to remake it. Not worth it to me. I was happy to take the (beautifully crafted) boar. I asked Tony (at DA) about painting over the glass and he said it’s super easy to spray and a lot of guys do it. No worries.
Fair enough, can’t argue that - I’m also not the kind of prick who would get the shaper to re do it

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Why didn’t they just paint the finished board for you at the factory?

Last edited: