Album Surfboards

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I found out why the Twinsman needs a good wave! The board is so slow that's the only way it will work. :LOL:

Still haven't clicked with it and I think its the bottom concave. It's a pretty basic bottom. Nothing really special about it and it doesn't really plane that well. For a twin fin I feel like it lacks glide. Maybe if it had a little more concave out the tail? Maybe its because its a 5'3? Idk.

I did like it better with the Album Fascination fins vs. the Album Twins but that's about it.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I found out why the Twinsman needs a good wave! The board is so slow that's the only way it will work. :LOL:

Still haven't clicked with it and I think its the bottom concave. It's a pretty basic bottom. Nothing really special about it and it doesn't really plane that well. For a twin fin I feel like it lacks glide. Maybe if it had a little more concave out the tail? Maybe its because its a 5'3? Idk.

I did like it better with the Album Fascination fins vs. the Album Twins but that's about it.
Might be where your feet are. I never had issue throwing high lines, etc. riding it like a fish.

if you’re back-footed entirely I could see how this board doesn’t drive well.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Might be where your feet are. I never had issue throwing high lines, etc. riding it like a fish.

if you’re back-footed entirely I could see how this board doesn’t drive well.
I dont know. I think I'm a front footed surfer? :unsure:

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I dont know. I think I'm a front footed surfer? :unsure:
the anecdotal evidence suggests otherwise. LOL
I could see you needing to surf off back foot more for drive on those Tomos with the slot channel- kinda like the plasmic, but less extreme.
But TMST has some features not everyone is gonna click with it. Of course, it doesn't seem like you've been able to click with any of the non-tomos you've tried, as none have stayed in your quiver very long: a couple CIs, a Chemistry, a TP, a FlatEarth. Sometimes trying different designs reinforces or clarifies what feels good to you.
edit: ...and that's fine too. there's value in that

edit: you have so much video of you surfing, it should be easy to tell if you are actually "front footed"

Last edited:

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo

While I eventually moved on from my TMST (Varial), the only way I could get the thing to get anywhere when the waves were average or below was with huge fins. I was using FCS' Power Twins. I am a card carrying front-footed sarfer though.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid

Maybe it's because it's got a fcukton of tail rocker?

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Maybe it's because it's got a fcukton of tail rocker?
Not really? I guess is depends on where you are measuring it? Maybe the last 6 inches has some flip out the tail. But overall "tail rocker", I wouldn't say it has a "fuckton". Maybe a fucking bit. But not a fucking ton. :LOL:

Last edited:

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
That is a healthy amount of tail rocker. But as a counterpoint, I’ve surfed twins that had way too little tail rocker and they tended to track and needed a very flat faced wave.

Reactions: jkb and ReForest

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Its a lot of tail rocker *for a twin* and it also has a wing and a lot of vee out the tail which all combined make the twinsman a board that does not grovel well or respond favorably to a very backfooted approach. At least in my experience.

Its okay reforest, I didnt click with my twinsman either.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
@ReForest et al, just to be clear I've never even surfed a Twinsman, but I had a good fondle of one and what really stood out to my eye was the amount of rocker. I think I commented on it here.

That tail flip is really substantial, and would slow the board down, I'd guess - unless paired with a bowly wave or pumped in the right way.

Reactions: ReForest

Sauce

OTF status
Oct 6, 2021
I don't get the super tail rockered boards unless you're in Hawaii or something. I had a custom lost rocket back when they were first coming out... I've never felt like more of a kook then trying to get that thing to work. Absolute dog of a board

Reactions: ReForest

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Don’t know a thing about Album boars. But if you relax the nose rocker to make a boar paddle and catch waves easier a good way to keep some curve on the bottom is to give it some tail flip. I also like some tail flip on my flatter nose rocker stubbys. Gets into waves easy but enough curve when you stand up to do turns.