Album Surfboards

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
So, not a great groveler it seems? I haven't felt one up and don't want to get into the same predicament as the Twinsman I had swhich wasn't much fun in under waist high stuff.
Its not a groveler but for me its got a better low end than the twinsman. Its got more instant speed and drive. I much prefer the Bomdia to the Twinsman.

For under waist high surf I would be on my Plasmic or something though.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Its not a groveler but for me its got a better low end than the twinsman. Its got more instant speed and drive. I much prefer the Bomdia to the Twinsman.

For under waist high surf I would be on my Plasmic or something though.
I wish there was something more like a front-foot friendly Plasmic. It felt like it was flinging me forward when I was pumping for speed. I borrowed one for a day in really fun waves.

Reactions: j_mac

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
I wish there was something more like a front-foot friendly Plasmic. It felt like it was flinging me forward when I was pumping for speed. I borrowed one for a day in really fun waves.
I think you might like a short End model, it is based off a mini-simmons. I am still figuring this board out and need more surfs on it.This what Jack Freestone has been surfing. The rounder tail and something about the fascination quad fins frees the board for speed and turns. For small waves, the 5' 5" BomDisaster was my go-to board, as it is a blast. It is basically a groveler BomDia that's chunkier and slightly lower rocker. The rocker though lower still has enough to fit in smaller waves. The 5' 6" End is similar, though likely better. The reason why I think the End is better, it seems to get up to speed quicker and it is looser and move with more ease than the BomDisaster. The rocker is lower on the End. I thought this might be an issue in a small pitchy beach break, but it gets in early and goes. In waist high plus waves with a little bit of shape, this board excels. The board is good in bigger waves

With that said, I am enjoying the 6' 0" End in better waves and the longer rail. Similarly, I am still figuring this board out, but you can push this board. I was nursing the board initially owing to its size and I was surfing my thrusters a lot beforehand. I have had some great bottom turns on the 6' 0" End. 6' 0" End is a board that I want to surf more because of how it feels.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Yeah it's a backfooted board for sure. Im a pretty backfooted surfer so I love mine.

Are you looking for something more grovely than your Flare or just looking for something different?

Reactions: j_mac

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
I think you might like a short End model, it is based off a mini-simmons. I am still figuring this board out and need more surfs on it.This what Jack Freestone has been surfing. The rounder tail and something about the fascination quad fins frees the board for speed and turns. For small waves, the 5' 5" BomDisaster was my go-to board, as it is a blast. It is basically a groveler BomDia that's chunkier and slightly lower rocker. The rocker though lower still has enough to fit in smaller waves. The 5' 6" End is similar, though likely better. The reason why I think the End is better, it seems to get up to speed quicker and it is looser and move with more ease than the BomDisaster. The rocker is lower on the End. I thought this might be an issue in a small pitchy beach break, but it gets in early and goes. In waist high plus waves with a little bit of shape, this board excels. The board is good in bigger waves

With that said, I am enjoying the 6' 0" End in better waves and the longer rail. Similarly, I am still figuring this board out, but you can push this board. I was nursing the board initially owing to its size and I was surfing my thrusters a lot beforehand. I have had some great bottom turns on the 6' 0" End. 6' 0" End is a board that I want to surf more because of how it feels.
Got any pics of that 5’6?

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Yeah it's a backfooted board for sure. Im a pretty backfooted surfer so I love mine.

Are you looking for something more grovely than your Flare or just looking for something different?
More grovely than my Flare. I had a Fling which I didn’t click with and really wide tail boards aren’t my cup of tea. I like to get up to speed very quickly and be able to get vertical easily.

Reactions: Aruka

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
How grovely can a Flare get? Compared to say a Gremlin or White Tiger

edit: dammit thought this was the Stamps thread :foreheadslap:

Last edited:

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
More grovely than my Flare. I had a Fling which I didn’t click with and really wide tail boards aren’t my cup of tea. I like to get up to speed very quickly and be able to get vertical easily.
Do you have a fuse? It was a nice in between board between my GX and super groveler. Would be considered a true groveler for a ripper. Shallow swall with quads gets up and goes quick.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Do you have a fuse? It was a nice in between board between my GX and super groveler. Would be considered a true groveler for a ripper. Shallow swall with quads gets up and goes quick.
Yeah, I have one (5'6.5" in Varial carbon) and that was the intention. The rails ended up being more foiled than my Flare and Kai-Zen, so while I like the bort, it's not the bridge I was hoping for.

This is the original one that Varial didn't tint.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Yeah, I have one (5'6.5" in Varial carbon) and that was the intention. The rails ended up being more foiled than my Flare and Kai-Zen, so while I like the bort, it's not the bridge I was hoping for.

This is the original one that Varial didn't tint.

@ChaseTMP what about a Banana Fish?
"The Banana Fish has a fair bit more rocker that will allow it to fit in the curve of the face easier and draw a tighter line without much sacrifice in speed and glide."

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Yeah, they got a pretty good deal on it too considering it's two structures on a big lot. I've surfed the right slightly to the east by paddling out from the house but those rocks are a pita. They've previously rented that second house out to the wsl and are again this year afaik. Nice little money maker

Alex Smith must be going on the Album team too