Album Surfboards

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
Ah ok, nice spot. There’s a sick little double up left right by that house.
Yeah, they got a pretty good deal on it too considering it's two structures on a big lot. I've surfed the right slightly to the east by paddling out from the house but those rocks are a pita. They've previously rented that second house out to the wsl and are again this year afaik. Nice little money maker

nickpheous

Michael Peterson status
Apr 8, 2008
Huntington Beach
This has probably been talked about, but what fins do you ride in the bom dia?

Do you want a smaller trailer quad fin on the heel side for more pivot or do you want a rakier fin because the heel side is shorter than the toe side?
I've played around with a few sets of fins for this board and the NVS Bom Dia fins are the best to me. Really no complaints about them other than they are stiff. In smaller stuff I might put in something with a bit more flex. When the waves were soft or slow I really liked the Endorfin KS quads. Seemed to give the board a little extra squirt. I bet you could do some interesting tweaks mixing rakier fins with flat sided or pivot fins. Though I would imagine his fin placements kind of give you that feel already

I freaking love this board! I swear whenever I get a board that works as well as this, my mind starts running through ideas of other variations of this board to add to the quiver (7'-7'4 step/mid, shorter/wider groveler, etc).

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
This has probably been talked about, but what fins do you ride in the bom dia?

Do you want a smaller trailer quad fin on the heel side for more pivot or do you want a rakier fin because the heel side is shorter than the toe side?
Probably depends on what type of fin you like in general and the types of waves you're riding. I prefer rake fins to pivot fins in DD/HP style boars. I tried the Album set for this boar and did not like them. Could not get the board to go in fun, stomach high surf. They might be good if you're surfing bigger/punchier waves where you don't need to generate your own speed as much, but that rarely happens here in FL.

I finally landed on Futures R8 (large) in the front and Futures Quad Rears (large) in the back. This combo has worked perfectly for me in WH-HH soft and steep beach break. I'm 5'10 160lbs. YMMV.

Reactions: j_mac and ReForest

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Still loving the varial Bomdia. NVS AM2 fronts, NVS JL M trailers. Will try the NVS Bomdia fins at some point just to compare. I think something slightly more upright would be nice for beachies.

Its my most ridden board this trip by far. The only time I've regretted bringing it out was when the waves were pretty small and weak. Ive pushed it in larger surf like 1.5xoh and I felt the limits of control but still had a blast.

I think a longer, round tail step up version is in order at some point.

encladd

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 8, 2019
About every 2 hours this thought rides my brain waves. I'm thinking a 6'3 or 6'4 roundpin to compliment my 5'11. Same width, maybe a touch more thickness. The only question is whether to go varial or not on the step up. I've got a 6'7 townsend in varial and the jury is still out.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
About every 2 hours this thought rides my brain waves. I'm thinking a 6'3 or 6'4 roundpin to compliment my 5'11. Same width, maybe a touch more thickness. The only question is whether to go varial or not on the step up. I've got a 6'7 townsend in varial and the jury is still out.
Glad to know im not alone. Is your 5-11 varial? My 6-1 is so Im tempted to just go varial on the longer one given the similarity in price to PU.

I dunno how long to go. 6-6 is kind of my go to step up length but I might go longer.

Reactions: jkb and j_mac

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Still loving the varial Bomdia. NVS AM2 fronts, NVS JL M trailers. Will try the NVS Bomdia fins at some point just to compare. I think something slightly more upright would be nice for beachies.

Its my most ridden board this trip by far. The only time I've regretted bringing it out was when the waves were pretty small and weak. Ive pushed it in larger surf like 1.5xoh and I felt the limits of control but still had a blast.

So, not a great groveler it seems? I haven't felt one up and don't want to get into the same predicament as the Twinsman I had swhich wasn't much fun in under waist high stuff.

Reactions: sdsrfr

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
So, not a great groveler it seems? I haven't felt one up and don't want to get into the same predicament as the Twinsman I had swhich wasn't much fun in under waist high stuff.
For me, the Bom Dia handles smaller waves much better than the Twinsman, but I would not consider it a groveler. I’ve ridden mine in waist high waves with some push and had fun, but it was the only board I had with me at the time. If I had a choice, I would have grabbed my Bullet or Plasmic.

I’d say it’s sweet spot is stomach/chest high and up depending on how you size it.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Good call. I just assumed it was the same boar
I would have as well. VB said it was the 2018 EAST. I would assume it's the same scan and painted similar. I remember they had one or two on Album's site with that paint. How heavy is VB? I would think Dane's considerably heavier, but I have no idea.

Reactions: j_mac