Album Surfboards

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
just get a red bom dia
Dead.
Defrosted vs. Album Red will never get old.

in the stab HSGP, it was hilarious when Freestone’s two previous shapers agreed that he was the biggest PITA teamrider to deal with…. AND he was like, yeah, I am. LOL
A penny for AlbumMatt’s thoughts on working with him.

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
According to the latest ep of “How Surfers Get Paid”, JJF is about the only pro currently getting paid by a shaper to ride boars (Pyzel gave him a % of the company. Classy move). Everyone else just gets free boars.
LOL :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

It's total complete utter BS.

Plenty of other guys are getting paid too, it's a fact.

I have a hard time believing STAB doesn't know this (actually I'm sure they're aware). But like their editor said recently - STAB isn't there to tell you the real story, they're there to sell advertising and maintain affable relationships with the industry and the WSL.

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
How does the Bom dia paddle around the lineup? Pretty close to pulling the trigger on one
It paddles well. The only thing I don't like about mine is that the way that foam is distributed makes it feel like it gets caught more by the wave when duck diving. Not a board I take out that much at my local (OBSF), but I have a set of boards I specifically like for there (more foam, longer rail, etc)

Reactions: j_mac and tcureton
Jan 10, 2014
Looking at it as a step up/good wave board for central FL. Will sit above my stock 5’6 RNF96. I’m 5’7 160#. Emailed him thinking 5’10 x 19.25 x 2.5. Would like something longer than my height for when waves get actually good. And have range in case I drive over and it’s not good haha A bit more volume than I ride but kids man haha

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise

I have a hard time believing STAB doesn't know this (actually I'm sure they're aware). But like their editor said recently - STAB isn't there to tell you the real story, they're there to sell advertising and maintain affable relationships with the industry and the WSL.
dls and beach chit guy calling stab out on their bs

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
dls and beach chit guy calling stab out on their bs
STAB is in the unique position they have a ton of leeway to be able to write whatever they want (to an extent)

It's not Y2K anymore. No SURFER, SURFING, Transworld, etc. They are the only surf publication.

They claim they don't want to **** off the WSL because the WSL will remove their ability to publish licensed content.

To that I say to what alternate outlet would the WSL grant that permission? TheInertia? BeachGrit!? :roflmao:

If the WSL wants content exposure in a "legit" publication they have one choice: STAB. Probably safe to say they need STAB more than STAB needs them.

Same goes for STAB's advertorial content.

Which begs the question - is the WSL bankrolling STAB in some way?

Reactions: Havoc and SixtyGrit

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
STAB is in the unique position they have a ton of leeway to be able to write whatever they want (to an extent)

It's not Y2K anymore. No SURFER, SURFING, Transworld, etc. They are the only surf publication.

They claim they don't want to **** off the WSL because the WSL will remove their ability to publish licensed content.

To that I say to what alternate outlet would the WSL grant that permission? TheInertia? BeachGrit!? :roflmao:

If the WSL wants content exposure in a "legit" publication they have one choice: STAB. Probably safe to say they need STAB more than STAB needs them.

Same goes for STAB's advertorial content.

Which begs the question - is the WSL bankrolling STAB in some way?
I'll unsubscribe from TSJ if I ever catch a whiff of WSL content.

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021

Its a fact? How do you know?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Its a fact? How do you know?
Yes, 100% fact. Because I know people in the industry that have been involved in the contracts, also know a few shapers who have pointed out guys who jumped ship from one shaper to another because the new shaper pays.

The crazy thing is some of the guys getting paid are guys you wouldn't expect. Not sure if these guys just work with the right management or what. Like B-grade Brazilian pros that are better at getting paid contracts then surfing.

Something that makes me chuckle was how Kevin Schultz left his contract at Rusty because he thought they weren't paying him enough after he won STAB High. Looks like R. was right, he's now a firefighter and I don't see him on the FW roster anymore where he seemed to be briefly.

Which brings to mind...Firewire... I wonder how much they are paying their guys?

I'd eat my shorts if Ethan Ewing isn't getting paycheck from DHD. He's their main marketing tool right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Havoc