Album Surfboards

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Seems like they're adding more stuff to a board to charge more and more.

Selling stock XTR's with rail bands, up sell.
Selling dark arts with deck color, up sell.
Selling PU but adding rail color, deck color and pin lines, up sell.

I'd guess they're going to start including fins, deck pads and/or leashes to break the $2K ceiling.

Reactions: tcureton

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Seems like they're adding more stuff to a board to charge more and more.

Selling stock XTR's with rail bands, up sell.
Selling dark arts with deck color, up sell.
Selling PU but adding rail color, deck color and pin lines, up sell.

I'd guess they're going to start including fins, deck pads and/or leashes to break the $2K ceiling.
It looks to me like he’s hit the ceiling on price. Those boards aren’t moving very fast. Some have been sitting for months.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
It surely props up the used prices which affects the perceived value of the brand.

whatevrr they’re doing, it’s not on accident.

Reactions: SixtyGrit

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I remember trying to buy a board from Matt through eBay in like 2006. We couldn’t agree on the shipping costs and actually got in an argument about it in my eBay DM’s. Lol.

Update: just checked my Ebay DM's and looks like they don't keep old threads.

Last edited:

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Amazing what Josh Kerr ripping on your boars on social media will do. I’m curious what % of the brand’s sales he gave Josh. Judging by how well things have gone… Probably not enough
Out of Album’s stable I’m partial to Victor Bernardo’s surfing myself. Dude friggin rips.

3 years ago I custom ordered an asym fish with full resin tint and S-glass. I think it was just over 950 after tax. That order would cost ~1.5x of that nowadays

Last edited:

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
I ordered a board from Matt 3 weeks ago and, after inquiring about wait time, he told me that they’ve got 3 factories working at full steam.

Do I wish the boards were less expensive? Of course. But good on him for growing it to where it’s at. He’s done a good job putting the boards in the hands of some of the most stylish surfers in the right age group to attract his core customers. He’s not trying to target 15-25 year olds that don’t typically have the cash to throw down $1200 - $1400 on a board. Biolis, etc. can have those guys.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
I ordered a board from Matt 3 weeks ago and, after inquiring about wait time, he told me that they’ve got 3 factories working at full steam.

Do I wish the boards were less expensive? Of course. But good on him for growing it to where it’s at. He’s done a good job putting the boards in the hands of some of the most stylish surfers in the right age group to attract his core customers. He’s not trying to target 15-25 year olds that don’t typically have the cash to throw down $1200 - $1400 on a board. Biolis, etc. can have those guys.
Yeah I'm not saying I'm against the growth. In fact, if it results in a higher wage for the people that contract with or work for him because of it, good on that.

I'll add that Matt was super responsive & easy to order with via email back then. If I'd actually listened to him at the time and gone a tad bigger on dims than I thought I should, I might still have that board, haha.

…what’d you order?:waving:

Last edited:

encladd

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 8, 2019
I'll add that Matt was super responsive & easy to order with via email back then. If I'd actually listened to him at the time and gone a tad bigger on dims than I thought I should, I might still have that board, haha.
He still is, which is very nice.

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
Yeah I'm not saying I'm against the growth. In fact, if it results in a higher wage for the people that contract with or work for him because of it, good on that.

…what’d you order?:waving:
Ordered a 5’8 Bom Dia. First asym and first quad...can’t wait to get it! Yeah Matt is definitely very responsive when it comes to emails. He always hits me back within a day, and usually within a couple hours. The Bom Dia will be my 6th Album. I dove face first into the koolaid :cheers:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Ordered a 5’8 Bom Dia. First asym and first quad...can’t wait to get it! Yeah Matt is definitely very responsive when it comes to emails. He always hits me back within a day, and usually within a couple hours. The Bom Dia will be my 6th Album. I dove face first into the koolaid :cheers:
Same experience with Matt and customs.

Funny, people complain about how there’s no money in making surfboards and those same put up with (or are a party to) the shittiest costumer service imaginable…

Then someone comes along and operates at the basic minimum of responsiveness, makes a good product and charges premium prices…

And those same whiners complain about the high prices.

If you want a sub $800 board delivered 12 weeks after the promised 6 week turnaround time and it isn’t even what you actually ordered then go right ahead and do that.

I’ll be getting my $1500 carbon fiber rip stick in 3 weeks. Haha!

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Yeah Matt has always hit me back pretty quick when I had questions. Whether it’s actually him or not I don’t know but the person is knowledgable and gives direction. I’ve had three Albums and they all were made well and rode well. I haven’t bought one at the new elevated prices but shapers should charge whatever they want.

It’s hard AF to shape a good board, even harder to run a profitable business at scale while manufacturing good boards.