Album Surfboards

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
I have been meaning to post this...

I have had a 5'5"x20"x2.5" BomDisaster - chunkier BomDia for a few months now. Similar concept of the Disaster being a chunky version of the Disorder. I wanted this because of my enjoyment of the BomDia though for more DD conditions.

I highly recommend the 5' 5" BomDisaster. It is so much fun and it's versatile. I am mostly surfing the BomDisaster and the Flare these days. Owing to the BomDisaster chunkiness, it works best with bigger fins (AM2s front quad, Album NVS rears). For a board this wide, it wiggles and turns very well.

I like stubby, little boards. Though surprisingly, I find this difficult to get right or at least for what I am looking for. I have tried a number of them (Plasmic, GOAT, Plasmic EAST, Will's Fish, MiniGhost, TwinBender, amongst others), and each are good in their own way. The magic combo has been missing, and I felt there is a better blend to get the right performance and wave catching to be fun. The BomDisaster has the right pieces.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA

I have had a 5'5"x20"x2.5" BomDisaster - chunkier BomDia for a few months now. Similar concept of the Disaster being a chunky version of the Disorder. I wanted this because of my enjoyment of the BomDia though for more DD conditions.

I highly recommend the 5' 5" BomDisaster. It is so much fun and it's versatile. I am mostly surfing the BomDisaster and the Flare these days. Owing to the BomDisaster chunkiness, it works best with bigger fins (AM2s front quad, Album NVS rears). For a board this wide, it wiggles and turns very well.

I like stubby, little boards. Though surprisingly, I find this difficult to get right or at least for what I am looking for. I have tried a number of them (Plasmic, GOAT, Plasmic EAST, Will's Fish, MiniGhost, TwinBender, amongst others), and each are good in their own way. The magic combo has been missing, and I felt there is a better blend to get the right performance and wave catching to be fun. The BomDisaster has the right pieces.
Consider Insanity next. I’d think it would be closer to Flare than some of the others- but I have limited sample size on both. I got it as a good wave boar, but it seems to work with twin +trailer to improve lower end a bit. I really dig the foam distribution (plenty under chest for easy paddling /wave catching) and rails feel great. Definitely some new boar froth, but I’m loving it so far. Gonna be on this one a lot I think. I sound like 2022 @racer1 ! LOL

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015

Consider Insanity next. I’d think it would be closer to Flare than some of the others- but I have limited sample size on both. I got it as a good wave boar, but it seems to work with twin +trailer to improve lower end a bit. I really dig the foam distribution (plenty under chest for easy paddling /wave catching) and rails feel great. Definitely some new boar froth, but I’m loving it so far. Gonna be on this one a lot I think. I sound like 2022 @racer1 ! LOL
someone needs to try a bat tail Fascination

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I really like the insanity as a quad even in smaller waves. I’m in my 15th super buzz phase so I haven’t ridden it in awhile, but good dependable shortboard with some added fish glide.

I’ve been wanting to try it as a thruster with some really upright fins so I ordered some KS 2.1 to try. When they arrive I’ll ride the insanity some more.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I ran into a guy in the water here in SD that was like 6' and 160#, and he had a 5'5 or 5'6 plasmic in varial he let me ride for a wave (I traded him my varial townsend for a wave). He mentioned that he was going to go smaller, but Matt said "don't be afraid to get a lot of volume with this board." He said he loves how his rides...

I've been eyeing a 5'2 stock Plasmic for ages... comes in at: 5'2" x 20" x 2.38", 30.5L

Do you think I should go bigger if I'm targeting weaker thigh to waist-high waves in SD? I still want to be able to keep her in the pocket on these little beachies here... I fear getting one too chonky to whip around!

P.S. - I immediately was able to get a feel for the float / speed of the board, but never had a chance to put it on rail or make a decent turn - basically a close out, bottom turn to floater in the white water.
I ride a stock 5’6 in dark arts.

im 6’2 - 210.

Reactions: j_mac and SixtyGrit

smithgrind

Nep status
Dec 25, 2009
PNW
IMO I don’t think a couple L of foam or 1-2” will hinder you at all. At the lengths you’re looking at should fit easily into any pocket or steeper section. I’ve been pleasantly surprised how well the boar goes even in steeper stuff up to say SH-HH. I should really be on a 5’6 once up and riding, but that’s too small for me to comfortably paddle around… so I expected my 5’8 to feel corky and it really never has. Varial build also keeps it light and lively. I also picked up a used 5’9 PU asym with a slightly curvier outline that I love as well. Even that doesn’t surf as big as I expected. Plasmic was made to whip around easy.
Totally agree with your assessment. I could have gone smaller but since I’ve surfed it in
OH waves I’m glad I didn’t. It’s such a reactive board by design that a couple litres or an extra inch isn’t going to detract.

Reactions: j_mac

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Plasmic pucker factor is half the fun.

Roll in BB detonations are my fav for it. Clinching the fook out of my toes off the bottom.

my 5’4 stretched to a 5’5 has never really given me second thoughts. bit if a slingshot on takeoff but otherwise fine.

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
Just pulled the trigger on a Bom Dia. Same dims as yours. Are you going with the Album x NVS quads?
Nice! I started with the NVS quads on the BomDia and they work well with no desire to swap. On the BomDisaster, it needed a bigger fin with more drive.

Reactions: encladd

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I scored a beautiful 6'8 XTR moonstone! And its grey not purple!

The seller sold it with the CC keels and said those worked well. any recommendations? I think ill keep it on ice until we get some HH+ waves.

View attachment 154756View attachment 154757
I like my 6’3 with Rasta keels.

Ran the album semi-keel and thought they worked fine but preferred the extra drive from keels in smaller surf. If surfing on a day with decent hh energy I will give the semi-keel another go. Until then Rasta work fine.

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
I scored a beautiful 6'8 XTR moonstone! And its grey not purple!

The seller sold it with the CC keels and said those worked well. any recommendations? I think ill keep it on ice until we get some HH+ waves.

View attachment 154756View attachment 154757
That was one of mine, just liked my shorter moonstone a bit more for my height. Board loves driving on some lined up walls. Enjoy!