Album Surfboards

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Bom Dia vs Twinsman. Can someone compare them?
Bomdia has more drive and hold. Twinsman is more loose and pivotal. I think bomdia responds better to rear foot pressure as far as driving off the rear foot whereas twinsman is more front footed in its speed generation, like a fish.

I only got like half a dozen sessions on the bomdia and varial is remaking it for me because they glassed it way too heavily. Even with the heavy glass I prefer it to the Twinsman which was always kind of a hit or miss board for me.

Feb 10, 2020
Bomdia has more drive and hold. Twinsman is more loose and pivotal. I think bomdia responds better to rear foot pressure as far as driving off the rear foot whereas twinsman is more front footed in its speed generation, like a fish.

I only got like half a dozen sessions on the bomdia and varial is remaking it for me because they glassed it way too heavily. Even with the heavy glass I prefer it to the Twinsman which was always kind of a hit or miss board for me.
Thanks, that's helpful. I would imagine twin vs quad is a significant factor. Did you consider/what do you think of the twin-pin version of the Bom Dia? Quads aren't cool. What conditions do you think the Bom Dia is best suited to?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Thanks, that's helpful. I would imagine twin vs quad is a significant factor. Did you consider/what do you think of the twin-pin version of the Bom Dia? Quads aren't cool. What conditions do you think the Bom Dia is best suited to?
Nah i definitely wanted the quad asym personally because its different from what ive been riding which is a lot of twins and then thrusters when the waves get good. I was thinking a good quad could split the difference and give me a little cheat factor in decent surf so I wouldnt be missing the twin glide so much. I already have a round pin Bullet twin so the RP twin version of the Bom didnt appeal to me. I think both bomdia and twinsman are suited to fairly decent surf or at least surf with some push. They arent grovelers but have fairly similar, moderate rockers.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

Dims on the Bom?

I’ll buy it from you, maybe.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Any of you duus have a Fascination? I’ve become intrigued by asyms and think that board would be a good intro to them, especially for the mushy BB that I’m so privileged to surf on the regular.

edit: tried searching this thread, but most of the fascination talk is about the fins.
I had a Fascination. It was definitely easier to paddle and catch waves being a fishy outline. If I were to order again I’d err on the side of going longer- the heel side rail line is noticeably shorter than the toe side. Like Oeste said I ended up selling bc I went too small. The new stubbier bat tail quad versions look fun to me.

Reactions: Aruka

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
I had a Fascination. It was definitely easier to paddle and catch waves being a fishy outline. If I were to order again I’d err on the side of going longer- the heel side rail line is noticeably shorter than the toe side. Like Oeste said I ended up selling bc I went too small. The new stubbier bat tail quad versions look fun to me.
Thanks for the feedback. What was the length of the one you sold and what length do you think would have worked better?

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
the one I sold was a custom, 5'7 x 20.25 x 2.4, around 32 liters IIRC. Matt says ride 1-2" longer than your standard fish and I was basing mine off of a 5'6 Lost RNF Retro. I would've preferred something in the 5'8-5'10 range 34-35 liters or so. I'm 190 lbs now. It isn't a design that needs to be ridden super stubby, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
Bros, Moonstone is one hell of a fun boar. The past two nights we’ve had the exact kind of surf I bought it for...chest high outside sandbar surf that’s a little too soft to ride a “normal” board. The first night I rode it with the Shapers 5.55 and, while plenty fast, I felt like they were a bit too tracky and didn’t have the pivot I was looking for. The board has plenty of built in speed and paddles like a dream so I was looking to compliment that with pivot to get in the lip a little quicker/easier. Second night I put in a set of the Shapers 5.59 and eureka! the board did exactly what I wanted it to. I’m still adjusting to the length, but when I get it right (back foot all the way back) it feels incredibly nimble. Im hooked.