Album Surfboards

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
You guys care to expand on this?
Inside foil makes it more sticky?
It’s hard to describe exactly, but in my head it feels more “springy” out of turns which I like in average / soft / crumbly reef waves… which is typically what I get to surf. So I don’t even remember the last time I opted for T1s over Rastas.
I think Futures describes it as “speed generating” which isn’t too hyperbolic IMO, tho it’s still a pretty subtle slingshot effect. The Machado upright twins have it too but I haven’t used them as much. Found a pic of Machado vs. Rasta:
35399708-DCE0-43A1-91C6-410E6365F81A.jpeg959787B6-FD69-4B1A-A497-1A5013C3DF28.jpeg

Also, I don’t often ride thrusters, but when I do…
the grey/black/bamboo Machado raked thruster (not the wide-base ones) with the inside foil are my favorite set for average waves. Buttery turns.
YMMV

Last edited:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I'm pretty sure Rastas are exactly T1's with inside foil but I don't have the T1's anymore to compare. I don't usually like inside foil fins or smaller, more flexy twins but I like the Rastas as a straight twin in boards with narrow tails and as a twin trailer in small wave boars.

@Duffy LaCoronilla have you tried the Son of Cobra twins? they aren't quite as big as the EN's but they are pretty big and have 7.5 degrees of cant. The MFC JS twins are big like the EN's and I like them but I don't think they have much more cant than the EN's.
I run SOCs in my Plasmic.

Reactions: sdsrfr and Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
fck do i need to try the SOC's now? i dig the AMT's sometimes but they are just a little too upright (not enough rake) for what I generally prefer.

I tried to measure the cant angle on all my twins a while back but i didn't trust my methodology.

from what I recall the EN's were very low angle like 4 degrees. most were under 6. amt's were more than anything else i had.

a thruster side fin is usually about 6 or 6.5 degrees, right?

• Love
Reactions: MathDebater

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
fck do i need to try the SOC's now? i dig the AMT's sometimes but they are just a little too upright (not enough rake) for what I generally prefer.

I tried to measure the cant angle on all my twins a while back but i didn't trust my methodology.

from what I recall the EN's were very low angle like 4 degrees. most were under 6. amt's were more than anything else i had.

SOC and AMT are very close (cant).

Thats my official eyeball measurement conclusion.

And yes, you should be running SOCs in your Plasmic.

Feb 13, 2022
San Diego
Quoting trifish and sushipop:

"They said in their lineup the AMT has the most (8.5) and second would be the Son of Cobra Twin (7.5)."​
"I got this back from NVS:​
Fascination twins 6.5 degree cant.​
6.5 Degree Keel​
Triton​
Ono​
6.5 Degree Twin​
Kraken​
Nautilus​
Album Upright​
Stu Kenson (L&S)​
Ahi​
5 Degree Keel​
Stamps (M&L)"​

I thought I read somewhere that the newer AMTs have less cant. I cant find that info anywhere though.

Reactions: Havoc and Aruka

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
More sessions with the plasmic + AMTs.

Extra cant makes it more playful and I think has more control for the boards natural jetpack effect. pretty much doing whatever I wanted - hard cuts back into the pocket for flat sections and lip hits when the section lined up and race tracked down the reef into knee deep water.

really want to try the SOC fins now, and any others with more rake template but “extra” cant.
Perfect timing for this post as my plasmic arrived today. Although I won’t be able to ride it for a couple days because we have gale force winds in the forecast from an approaching tropical storm. Lucky for my wallet I already have a set of AMTs to throw in it and try. Interested to hear your thoughts on the SOCs if you get them.

In other news, I rode the TM again today in CH windswell with the T1 alphas and it felt great! I’m really digging this boar with these fins and it’s amazing the places you can put it on a wave without sliding out...especially since it’s only a 5’5. Definitely holds like a bigger board would. I’m officially on the Album hype train.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California

I stopped trying to measure cant in degrees.

It got really confusing and convoluted when trying to take the concave into consideration.

The most consistent method I've found (for my own personal use) is to place the flat foiled part of the fin on a flat surface. Then press on the base with your index finger. The tip of the fin will raise off the flat surface and you can measure the distance from the flat surface to the tip of the fin to give you an idea of how cant compares between fins.

Reactions: j_mac

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
The most consistent method I've found (for my own personal use) is to place the flat foiled part of the fin on a flat surface. Then press on the base with your index finger. The tip of the fin will raise off the flat surface and you can measure the distance from the flat surface to the tip of the fin to give you an idea of how cant compares between fins.
Works when comparing fins of the same depth but if depth is different this can fall apart.

I wish I could find my fancy pants inclinometer. Which nerd in here will bust out a laser level and protractor?

Yuri… I’m looking at you, buddy.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Works when comparing fins of the same depth but if depth is different this can fall apart.

I wish I could find my fancy pants inclinometer. Which nerd in here will bust out a laser level and protractor?

Yuri… I’m looking at you, buddy.
When you say depth, are you talking about fin height?

If so, isn't cant measured from a flat surface (lets pretend a flat bottom) to the tip of the fin?

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
I do something similar jkb. I clamp the fin tab and a straight edge together in a vise. Than measure between fin and the straight edge with a digital angle finder. Cross referenced with futures and they had the same numbers. I've noticed a lot of places are ok giving out the numbers when asked but they don't like to publicize them for whatever reasons.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
When you say depth, are you talking about fin height?

If so, isn't cant measured from a flat surface (lets pretend a flat bottom) to the tip of the fin?
Yep, depth = height in this context.

angle of cant may be measured anywhere as it’s just an angle. if you measure height of the tip when pressing the base flat, you could then convert the amount of rise into angle of cant using high school level geometry. That would correct for various fin height/depth comparisons - I bet fairly negligible since fins are so close in size which is why the trick works, as you mention.

Reactions: jkb and Aruka

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Which “older”? I believe there have been a few colorways over the years.

mine referenced above are the black+white logo hex from ~10yrs ago.
They changed to 7.5* on that recent green version that's on their site. The tip changed also on the trailer fin. Not sure if they have other colors for that one, but maybe rear trailer is easiest way to tell. I had the gray's w/ 8.5.