Album Surfboards

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
After many Album's here is my attempt to list them in order of preference. Overall I've liked most of them. Some of them quite a lot. The Plasmic is the pretty clear winner after riding the crap out of it last year in a wide variety of waves. Haven't had the 6-11 Plasmid for long enough to really rate it but I like it so far. Symphony and 5-10 Twinsman need more sessions and could move up or down the list, depending. Only the Bpunt and the 6-0 Twinsman were pretty unremarkable for me. Bpunt is meant to be ridden as a Twin/Trailer but it needs a real wave and I'd rather be on a thruster in bigger surf. Rocker felt just a little flat too. 6-0 twinsman was just too big for me. Probably my least favorite Album so far. I was able to sell it for barely less than what I paid and then picked up the 5-10 twinsman from @j_mac which I like much better so it all worked out in the end.

1. 5-9 Varial Carbon Plasmic EAST - NVS Fascination Twin
2. 6-4 PU Bullet Twin RP - NVS Album Upright Twins
3. 6-6 XTR Townsend RP - Alkali Album Twin
4. 5-10 XTR Lightbender - NVS Album Upright
5. 5-11 PU Symphony Twin - Piggyback Keels
6. 6-8 PU Townsend Asym - NVS Fascination Twin
7. 5-10 Varial Carbon Twinsman - True Ames TA Twin
8. 6-2 PU Insanity - NVS Album Upright + Trailer
9. 6-11 XTR Plasmid - NVS Tknox
10. 6-6 PU Bpunt - NVS Album Upright + Trailer
11. 6-0 Darkarts Twinsman - TA Twin
This guy fucks like Rob Lowe in the 80's

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
Been lurking this thread for a while and finally picked up a stoke 5’5 twinsman PU a couple weeks ago. Ive been having a bit of trouble finding the right set of fins for it.

Me: 5’10 160lbs - live in FL (mush-ville) been surfing most of my life.

I’ve ridden it in similar waves each time - CH to HH wind swell. Here’s what I’ve tried so far:
1. Album geminis: too stiff for my liking
2. AMTs: felt better then the geminis. not as stiff, but still didn’t feel like “the ones”
3. NVS Albums: first couple waves on them I almost got out of the water because they felt terrible, couldn’t turn the board to save my life. I adjusted my feet and weight distribution a bit and ended up having a good session, but they’re still a little bit stiffer than I would like. I‘m sure they’d be amazing in more powerful surf, but even big surf is pretty soft here in FL.

Side note: All of my other boars are FCS 2 and the MRs are my all time favs in them.

Thinking maybe I should try the TA set. Any other suggestions or any of you smaller duus have a similar experience?

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
If you found the NVS Album stiff you wont like the TAs.

I like the nvs album and found the TA‘s stiff.
Ah thanks for the feedback. Ever tried the Rastas or the TP twin from Futures?

Ive also been thinking that maybe it’s the fiberglass construction that’s making them feel stiff. I’ve been riding honeycombs for as long as I can remember since I prefer a little flex in my fins to create speed in the small mush.

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020

Ive also been thinking that maybe it’s the fiberglass construction that’s making them feel stiff. I’ve been riding honeycombs for as long as I can remember since I prefer a little flex in my fins to create speed in the small mush.
T. Patterson are smaller version of the NVS uprights. I like them in boards where I want something more than small Geminis and less than NVS uprights.

Reactions: Aruka

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA

I like the Album Shapers PT (same as NVS upright template) in 5’10 TMST and haven’t taken taken them out yet. But you might like a smaller fin like Akila Aipas. I find it frees up a boar pretty well.
I also like the Rastas (same template as T1) in other twins, I think the inside foil has some spring or something extra in softer conditions. Might be what you’re looking for.

Been using SonofCobra twins in my Plasmic lately and liking them. They have a bit more cant which I think should make them easier to turn.

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
BomDia has arrived - 5' 11"x19"x2.44"
Similar foam distribution and concave to the Insanity (pictured is 6' 2"x19"x2.38).
The GOAT is a more fishy outline - 5'7"x19.38"x2.38"

BomDia and Insanity - nose lift is 5" and tail 2.25", fairly deep bottom concave.

The 6' 2" Insanity has always been a bit too much board and a bit stiff for me. Hence the 5' 11" BomDia.
I have a 5' 11"x19"x2.5" Moonstone that I enjoy a lot, paddles amazingly well based on its foam under the chest, catches waves easily, much lower rocker (3.75" nose, 1.75" tail). Even though the Moonstone is thicker, the volume and rails are less. I love the projection and drive of the Moonstone, but don't always have the right waves for it. Hence the BomDia, smaller Insanity, more pivot than the Moonstone. These boards are for bigger waves.

Was hoping to surf the BomDia tomorrow as the waves are building, I busted my head open, so need to wait about 6-7 days.

IMG_4301.jpg
IMG_4302.jpg
IMG_4303.jpg

Last edited:

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
I like the Album Shapers PT (same as NVS upright template) in 5’10 TMST and haven’t taken taken them out yet. But you might like a smaller fin like Akila Aipas. I find it frees up a boar pretty well.
I also like the Rastas (same template as T1) in other twins, I think the inside foil has some spring or something extra in softer conditions. Might be what you’re looking for.

Been using SonofCobra twins in my Plasmic lately and liking them. They have a bit more cant which I think should make them easier to turn.
Awesome thanks. I also yolo’d a 5’0 plasmic PU that should be here Monday. Stocked!

Reactions: tcureton and Aruka

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
T. Patterson (more upright, wide base, less rake) versus NVS Upright

T. Patterson versus Akilas
Thanks for the pics! Definitely helps to see the differences vs just looking at a bunch of numbers online.

Are the Akilas like a smaller version of the AMTs? The shapes look similar

Reactions: j_mac

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Thanks for the pics! Definitely helps to see the differences vs just looking at a bunch of numbers online.

Are the Akilas like a smaller version of the AMTs? The shapes look similar
I think the Akilas are a little more raked. I don't have a set to compare though. AMT's are pretty upright and also have more cant angle than the average twin fins. AMT are a bit looser and more pivotal than most large twin fin sets.

For what you were describing above and given your weight I would lean towards the TP or the Rasta twins if you like a more flexible, speed generating fin.

Reactions: j_mac

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
I think the Akilas are a little more raked. I don't have a set to compare though. AMT's are pretty upright and also have more cant angle than the average twin fins. AMT are a bit looser and more pivotal than most large twin fin sets.

For what you were describing above and given your weight I would lean towards the TP or the Rasta twins if you like a more flexible, speed generating fin.
Yeah I think those are the two I’m leaning towards. Thanks for the feedback

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
i think a lot of the futures twins are made to be ridden with a trailer. so they are just a little small to run as a straight twin.

then you have the EN's which are yuuuge.

i tried emailing Futures about this and also about how they need to make a box with a bigger footprint so you can run big twins in good waves without blowing out boxes. they don't listen to me though.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
i think a lot of the futures twins are made to be ridden with a trailer. so they are just a little small to run as a straight twin.

then you have the EN's which are yuuuge.

i tried emailing Futures about this and also about how they need to make a box with a bigger footprint so you can run big twins in good waves without blowing out boxes. they don't listen to me though.
I want ENs with more cant

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
I hate to beat a dead horse but three fins does not make a twin fin.

T1s can be ridden as twins because they are raked back and do not have extreme cant but not many of the others are some combo of small, upright and canted out. I would like to try the Rastas which look like T1s with an inside foil.

There are lots of futures compatible fins makers, like Captain and NVS, that make twin fins for Futures.

Last edited: