Album Surfboards

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I hate to beat a dead horse but three fins does not make a twin fin.

T1s can be ridden as twins because they are raked back and do not have extreme cant but not many of the others are some combo of small, upright and canted out. I would like to try the Rastas which look like T1s with an inside foil.

There are lots of futures compatible fins makers, like Captain and NVS, that make twin fins for Futures.
I'm pretty sure Rastas are exactly T1's with inside foil but I don't have the T1's anymore to compare. I don't usually like inside foil fins or smaller, more flexy twins but I like the Rastas as a straight twin in boards with narrow tails and as a twin trailer in small wave boars.

@Duffy LaCoronilla have you tried the Son of Cobra twins? they aren't quite as big as the EN's but they are pretty big and have 7.5 degrees of cant. The MFC JS twins are big like the EN's and I like them but I don't think they have much more cant than the EN's.

Reactions: JDJ

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
kale brock just dropped vid on twinsman vs lightbladder. said he likes fcs power twins and didny jive with futures twins in twinsman
This has been my experience with Futures in the past in daily drivers and small wave HP boars. I have yet to find a set that I like, so 99% of my boars have been FCS2. The MRs and KA larges are my go-tos in FCS2.

Edit: also just noticed his lightbender has a hip :unsure:

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
Quick rundown of fins in some of my Albums (note my boards are narrower than stock)

6' 0"x18.25" Sterlana - Akilas (tried a bunch, Akilas are significantly better, board is no fun with anything else, even though a little loose)

5' 10"x18.5" - T. Pattersons (better than the NVS) still more hold than prefer, need to try the Akilas or CC uprights

5' 9"x19" Modtwin - T. Pattersons (better than the NVS), need to try Geminis, Akilas would likely be too small based on experience with 5' 7" Bullet Twin, maybe CC uprights

5'9"x18.5" Bullet Twin - small Geminis - perfect for this board, haven't tried anything else

5' 8" x18.25" Twinsman - Rastas bring the board to life, much more enjoyable (tried a bunch)

5'7"x19" Bullet Twin - (tried a lot of fins), small Geminis (longer carves), AMT (more pivot), just got the CC uprights (got them on sale, these are slightly smaller than the T. Pattersons).

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
Update on my fin situation with the Twinsman: I went digging through my fin drawer this morning and found a pair of T1 alphas that I bought a couple years ago for a CI RW. I put them in the TM and went for a surf in CH-HH windswell. The boar felt so much better…a lot livelier and looser, but still held when I needed it to.

These might be the ones. I’m gonna keep them in the boar for the next couple sessions to make sure, but they definitely felt better than the other fins I’ve tried so far.

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions. I’ll probably be hitting you up for more when the 5’0 plasmic arrives tomorrow.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Update on my fin situation with the Twinsman: I went digging through my fin drawer this morning and found a pair of T1 alphas that I bought a couple years ago for a CI RW. I put them in the TM and went for a surf in CH-HH windswell. The boar felt so much better…a lot livelier and looser, but still held when I needed it to.

These might be the ones. I’m gonna keep them in the boar for the next couple sessions to make sure, but they definitely felt better than the other fins I’ve tried so far.

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions. I’ll probably be hitting you up for more when the 5’0 plasmic arrives tomorrow.
So, if you like the T1 template, you might like the Rasta with the inside foil… even livelier, IMO.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
More sessions with the plasmic + AMTs.

Extra cant makes it more playful and I think has more control for the boards natural jetpack effect. pretty much doing whatever I wanted - hard cuts back into the pocket for flat sections and lip hits when the section lined up and race tracked down the reef into knee deep water.

really want to try the SOC fins now, and any others with more rake template but “extra” cant.

Feb 13, 2022
San Diego
More sessions with the plasmic + AMTs.

Extra cant makes it more playful and I think has more control for the boards natural jetpack effect. pretty much doing whatever I wanted - hard cuts back into the pocket for flat sections and lip hits when the section lined up and race tracked down the reef into knee deep water.

really want to try the SOC fins now, and any others with more rake template but “extra” cant.
I have been really enjoying the SOC fins in my plasmic. I think id like them to be a little bit more drivey, especially when I'm surfing softer waves, but otherwise they feel great. I went for a backside cutback the other day with a little bit too much down the line speed, and blew out the tail and rode out of a 360. First time ever doing that. Plasmic is a sick board.