Album Surfboards

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Got to try out the Moonstone. Interesting board for sure. Something about the rocker took some time to grasp. Kinda like it wants your weight shifted more towards the tail than you would think when paddling into a wave. Like the tail is getting too much lift or something and wanting to dive the nose. So used to crowding noses on fish boards and this one does not like that. Once I shifted back a good bit the rockets kicked on and the board took off. Definitely faster than my Townsend which is around the same size & definitely more maneuverable/looser even with the keels I had on it. Had a handful of fun ones were I kept blasting around sections. Lots of speed on its own. Feels great when up and riding but will take a little getting used to positioning myself on it. Don't think I would try uprights on it with how much pivot its getting with the keels. I've been out the water for a while so will drop some more thoughts once I get more sessions on it.

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
Rabbit holes....

I YOLOed 5' 6" Varial Twinsman, though not as sexy as some of the recent Album customs/YOLOs.

Based on surfing the 5' 4" Plasmic/5' 4" Will's Fish and my 5'9"-5' 10" boards, I have been converging toward 5' 6"-5' 7" board lengths that I believe would be ideal with certain dimensions. I was worried about dropping to a lower volume for this length (based on many comments here for the Twinsman). Even though I have been enjoying the 5' 9" Insanity will similar volume. I didn't have any boards in the 5'6"-5' 7" length - a few on order, hence my impatient YOLO.

The under the arm test (if this means anything) - probably the first board that I went this board fits me. Others have felt good under the arm.

First surf last night - shoulder high fun waves, bit slopey at onset. It was crowded with lots of long boarders and midlengths, and foamies. The Townsend was the better board for the given conditions.

The smaller Twinsman felt great and held its own amongst the crowd. I connected with it much more so than the longer Twinsman. It felt more fluid. I was catching waves with confidence. On the wave, the attributes commonly associated with the board started to ring true. I need more time on it. Paddling felt fine, though a tad slower.

I didn't purchase 5' 6" Twinsman (and the other 5'6- 5' 7") for these conditions or this spot, more a DD for other locations. I look forward to trying it in other waves.

Last edited:

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
hypothetical question, for slow mushy SD reefs would you go Plasmic EAST or Lightbender as a DD?

Reactions: Havoc

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Rabbit holes....

I YOLOed 5' 6" Varial Twinsman, though not as sexy as some of the recent Album customs/YOLOs.

Based on surfing the 5' 4" Plasmic/5' 4" Will's Fish and my 5'9"-5' 10" boards, I have been converging toward 5' 6"-5' 7" board lengths that I believe would be ideal with certain dimensions. I was worried about dropping to a lower volume for this length (based on many comments here for the Twinsman). Even though I have been enjoying the 5' 9" Insanity will similar volume. I didn't have any boards in the 5'6"-5' 7" length - a few on order, hence my impatient YOLO.

The under the arm test (if this means anything) - probably the first board that I went this board fits me. Others have felt good under the arm.

First surf last night - shoulder high fun waves, bit slopey at onset. It was crowded with lots of long boarders and midlengths, and foamies. The Townsend was the better board for the given conditions.

The smaller Twinsman felt great and held its own amongst the crowd. I connected with it much more so than the longer Twinsman. It felt more fluid. I was catching waves with confidence. On the wave, the attributes commonly associated with the board started to ring true. I need more time on it. Paddling felt fine, though a tad slower.

I didn't purchase 5' 6" Twinsman (and the other 5'6- 5' 7") for these conditions or this spot, more a DD for other locations. I look forward to trying it in other waves.
What fins are you running? I have a 5'6 Varial Twinsman as well with FCSII. I've finally settled on the MF twins, since they feel very similar to the Power Twins (to me), but are much lighter.

I really like the board, so much I'll keep trying to ride it consistently, which means in smaller conditions than it really excels in. I'll think I'm surfing pretty well and then go grab my NB2 or HS Psych Germ and it's pretty noticeable how much better those boards go for me in small waves, despite being 1-3 liters less (My Varial NB2 is 29.1L and the PG is 27.2 compared to the Twinsman at 30.2L).

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
What fins are you running? I have a 5'6 Varial Twinsman as well with FCSII. I've finally settled on the MF twins, since they feel very similar to the Power Twins (to me), but are much lighter.

I really like the board, so much I'll keep trying to ride it consistently, which means in smaller conditions than it really excels in. I'll think I'm surfing pretty well and then go grab my NB2 or HS Psych Germ and it's pretty noticeable how much better those boards go for me in small waves, despite being 1-3 liters less (My Varial NB2 is 29.1L and the PG is 27.2 compared to the Twinsman at 30.2L).
I am running the NVS uprights at the moment. I have preferred them in a few boards so a good starting point, and believe NVS uprights were intended for the Twinsmans. Yet too early to comment.

Yeah I am curious to see where this shorter Twinsman takes me and where it excels.

I was biased in the other direction, surfing the 5' 4" Plasmic above its intention as it is fun. Though my thoughts on this have started to change, as I surfed the Insanity. The Plasmic is an all-time favorite, as it gets up and goes, and is super fun due to its smaller size and speed. Even though it is wide and flat, the shorter length and the speed generation allow it to maneuver.

I surfed a lot over the break with different boards in a range of conditions. It was very insightful. Surprisingly, I gravitated toward the 5' 9" Insanity. I owned it for a few months now and only surfed a few times since getting it. Over the holidays, I couldn't get enough of it as it continued to perform well. It is solid though it lacks the zoom of the Plasmic. The more I surfed the Insanity the more I appreciated it and wanted similar performance in a shorter package. Very premature - the 5' 6" Twinsman feels as though it is giving me this performance.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I would bet on Plasmic EAST.

I regularly ride my OG plasmic over my lightbender unless shoulder+.
@tedshred5 ^ Exactly same for me in So County reefs. I’m talking myself into a PlasmEAST.

Edit: …or maybe a swallowtail Twinsman with the Plasmic slot channel. LOL
Been having a blast in small surf on the 6’4 PlasmEgg (blunt-nosed roundpin variation)

Last edited: