Album Surfboards

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
thinking Varial and something like 7-4 x 20.75 x 2.56
I have thought about this as well, I was thinking 7' 2", 20.25", 2.44" to take advantage of profile, tail width, bonzer channel, keeping it lively.

With that said, you might want to consider a 8' 0", 21", 2.7" Twinsman Twinzer, which is one of my favorite boards, and highly recommend it. It is a bit different, fun challenge, gets you in early, and when you get your feet back it can move very well. It has a narrow tail and nose. Always a fun surf on it.

Since you have a range of boards already, and the midlength Plasmic is a bit of modified Townsend, this might be something different to try for you. If something happened to my 8' 0" TT, I would replace it immediately.

I saw somewhere on IG that Matt was surfing one recently.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I have thought about this as well, I was thinking 7' 2", 20.25", 2.44" to take advantage of profile, tail width, bonzer channel, keeping it lively.

With that said, you might want to consider a 8' 0", 21", 2.7" Twinsman Twinzer, which is one of my favorite boards, and highly recommend it. It is a bit different, fun challenge, gets you in early, and when you get your feet back it can move very well. It has a narrow tail and nose. Always a fun surf on it.

Since you have a range of boards already, and the midlength Plasmic is a bit of modified Townsend, this might be something different to try for you. If something happened to my 8' 0" TT, I would replace it immediately.

I saw somewhere on IG that Matt was surfing one recently.
That sounds like a sick one. Have you shared pics of it on here?

My thinking for this board would be smaller, and/or mushy surf which is why I was considering the Plasmic. I guess my impression was that the Plasmic mid would be a bit wider in the tail than the Townsend or longer Twinsman. I already have a 7'2" Allan Gibbons twin but it feels like it wants kind of a real wave and honestly when the waves get good I usually want to ride a shortboard.

Reactions: j_mac

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I will never again second guess the efficacy of having a top flight pro who is great at personal branding hyping your boards
100%

Plus there's a bonus factor with Josh Kerr - a lot of people were/are unaware just how good of a surfer he is.

Seems he has always known how to make the right moves from a financial perspective and one has to wonder if that guided his world tour career.

If I was a tour surfer but knew I'd never be a title contender I'd take free boards and a paycheck and just enjoy the ride til getting bored of it.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Do you think Josh is getting a paycheck from Matt to ride his boards?
No idea but I'd say it's doubtful.

If I had to guess I would think he's more an investor/business partner kind of guy.

I was more referencing guys on tour past and present who aren't and will never be title contenders for whatever reason. A paycheck and free boards is pretty worth it as long as you can cruise on tour. I'm sure at the end of the day that sort of thing is more important than getting shopping shapers and trying 5 or 10% more out of another shaper's boards, especially if you're business or family minded and want a life beyond bricklaying after you drop off tour.

Think for instance Caio Ibelli's contract with DHD and Wade Carmichael's contract with Rusty. Never saw Josh Kerr on a Rusty again, that's for sure.

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
DISCLAIMER ON THE ABOVE POST: I've brought this scenario up before and people became outraged, I'm not meaning to offend anyone, I have no personal knowledge of any of this stuff, I'm merely speculating about what seems commonsense and what I've heard from people in the know, not necessarily about any of the above surfers. But put yourself in their shoes for a minute and ask yourself what you would do.

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020

My thinking for this board would be smaller, and/or mushy surf which is why I was considering the Plasmic. I guess my impression was that the Plasmic mid would be a bit wider in the tail than the Townsend or longer Twinsman. I already have a 7'2" Allan Gibbons twin but it feels like it wants kind of a real wave and honestly when the waves get good I usually want to ride a shortboard.
Haha - I hear you, very true!

I will post some pictures today since it is Pacific lake, instead of Pacific ocean now!

Great point! I tend to surf the 8' 0" Twinsman Twinzer in better waves, never really grovel it because of the length. The reality is that I use for when I need the paddle power either for bigger softer waves, getting in early in juicer waves, or if I am being lazy.

In thinking about this, I would probably get a normal size Plasmic. I got a stock 5' 6", which has been fun. It accelerates out of the white water. Parts of me would love to try a shorter version to take advantage of the smaller form factor to zip it around, even more, when the waves are a bit better. Other parts of me, think a bit longer one, would be more fun for true grovel conditions, allow for more cheat.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
If I had to guess I would think he's more an investor/business partner kind of guy.
Think you nailed it there.
Getting a steady cheque never a stupid idea, but Kerr strikes me as a bigger picture kinda guy. While the small fries would be wanting a salary for riding boards, the bigger picture kinda guy wants to invest, like he's done in AU.

Reactions: MathDebater

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020

Attachments

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
album got really popular with adult learner crowd since alt high vol shapes with avante garde resin swirlies and high resale value. like a firewire but more hipster.

that being said the shapes go… wouldnt mind one but too pricey for me
I've actually never seen an adult learner on an album... You're seeing this as a notably common thing?

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
album got really popular with adult learner crowd since alt high vol shapes with avante garde resin swirlies and high resale value. like a firewire but more hipster.

that being said the shapes go… wouldnt mind one but too pricey for me
yup! 100% agree

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
That would be very surprising if it’s true. Very few of the riders get credited with design influence on models and for an aging surfer that can’t stomp an an air* at Waco, it seems far fetched. I like Noel and I think he surfs extremely well, but I don’t see how his involvement would go over well with the rest of the team if royalties are involved.

*not that I feel that’s a prerequisite for good surfing, but the majority of surfers getting some sort of financial incentive on boards < 6’ can do them fairly consistently.
Straight from the mouth’s horse

Reactions: ChaseTMP

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
This new "High Performance Twin Fin" ("HPTF") category or trend is paving the way for the El Tomo keel. lol. Its such a good design. I feel it will definitely be a contender for the Album's and the Fishbeard's and others to come.

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
go gett'em yolo'ers!!!!!!!!!