Akila Aipa's/Slater Designs' Twin release

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
yeah no

i disagree with the generalization about volume and "big thick" rails.

boxy low apex rails and a tucked edge on wide point forward flat bottomed semi guns are money in good powerful surf. lots potential energy stored in those rails as one well respected shaper said to me.

nothing feels quite like driving through turns on rails that push back rather than "sink". i liken those kind of rails to having a whole other dimension to surf off of..

sure you have to adapt your approach to it and obviously its not everyones thing (particularly guys trapped in the modern shortboard contrivances) but its no less fun and certainly not a "nightmare"
I don't disagree in the least. My boards were way undervolumed in the 80's to 90's. Silly really.

As for guns, I also agree with the feel of driving off the bottom, as you note. I'm talking about a board that was a boat for me. Pretty damn dangerous.

So I guess what's being referred to here are the extremes. Cue the "More than Words" jokes...

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego

follow up model named “the sky is not real”

want to revisit this volume tangent in its own thread. Been a few years since we were inundated with volume as a metric, curious how everyones ideas have evolved. For myself, not having ordered a new board in >3yrs I think I can conclude I need more volume relative to the current quiver but just how much is too much to pad for the next doldrum of surf is anyone’s guess.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

follow up model named “the sky is not real”

want to revisit this volume tangent in its own thread. Been a few years since we were inundated with volume as a metric, curious how everyones ideas have evolved. For myself, not having ordered a new board in >3yrs I think I can conclude I need more volume relative to the current quiver but just how much is too much to pad for the next doldrum of surf is anyone’s guess.
Having just ordered a board that I sized up and extra 2L based on the mfrs volume calculator and the sales guy's length recommendation, I'd say volume matters for paddling and the transition to your feet (it is NOT a f/w). After that, you need planing surface area. IOW, don't get too short of a board. Seems like people are going shorter and shorter and I don't think this is a good idea because if you don't have enough planing area and rail length, and your board becomes ultra-sensitive to pitch and front foot placement especially on bottom turns and cutbacks. The board also seems corky at speed. The board I ordered has enough volume but is too short, doesn't plane well enough, and doesn't have long-enough rail to hold at speed.

The next board I ordered has the same volume but is 5" longer or the same length two shapers have recommended for me and has worked fine.

I think you should find a shaper you can talk to and go with his recommendation. Do not order from a big brand.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I think you should find a shaper you can talk to and go with his recommendation. Do not order from a big brand.
lol, classic erBB. yes... I already did that.

now back to what everyone else has done... and specifically for what boards and intended use.