Aging Shredders + Lack of weight-training

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
went on a surf bender this week (for me) and did 3 sessions in a row all 2-3 hrs. waves were bigger too. what helped was stretching each night and getting sleep.

gonna start adding nightly stretching into the mix. comment from one-off about stretching in 3,2,1...
I forgot, am I for or against stretching? :shrug:

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
That’s the spot. I have three photos of myself surfing. That was one. One of those goys who give their business card when you get to the beach. I was on a 7-7 twin fin.
I was there for a couple of days during the ‘code red’ swell last summer. Fun wave except for the crowd and how tight the takeoff spot is.

Reactions: One-Off

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I agree, but by the same token, you must know that for decades upon decades fighters were advised to avoid lifting weights. And in a lot of circles, still are. I got in trouble for it. It used to be common advice. It's not like I'm making it up.

Why Lifting Weights Won’t Increase Punching Power (expertboxing.com)

This article is a little more even handed.

Do Boxers Lift Weights & Should They? Strength Training For Boxing - Sweet Science of Fighting

Do Boxers Lift Weights When They Train and is it Beneficial? – ShortBoxing

Do Weights Make You Slow? - Boxing Science

My answer is if it is done right, it's beneficial. By the same token, I've seen people that were beasts on a weight pile that had shockingly limp punches. Obviously lifting weights doesn't make up for lousy technique.

The man in my avatar was against weights. Yet he made us do these horrible knuckle pushups on a hardwood floor. Body weight is still weight. :shrug: But...

Why Lifting Weights Doesn’t Help Increasing Punching Power (boxingroyale.com)

The argument continues.
Lifting weights will I increase punching power since punching power comes from the thighs and trunk and lesser so the chest. I think when most people think of "lifting weights" they think of gym bros doing curls, shrugs and bench pressing. Most people who consider themselves experts think squats and deadlifts are "leg day".

People who use the word "weights" are potatoes who have absolutely zero knowledge of what it takes to be physically prepared for anything.

External resistance is the tool used to increase physical stress that causes a strength adaptation. This is easily applied with an implement that is increasingly heavier as the trainee adapts to physical stress....but stress is stress and a big factor in the what how and why of building a training program for an athlete is how sensitive to training stress they are. Good genetics=high sensitivity=strength gains with lower time and stress commitment.

A strong man equal in technique with a weak man will punch harder 100% of the time. It's why genetics decide who gets to be the best at physical sports. Everyone can practice but only very few can get strong without devoting all their physical and mental resources to that end.

Technical practice makes you a better puncher. Technical practice will have a 100 pound guy hit harder than a 200 pound guy. Everything else being equal...strength is the multiplier...hence the PED rules that must be followed.

Reactions: grapedrink

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Lifting weights will I increase punching power since punching power comes from the thighs and trunk and lesser so the chest. I think when most people think of "lifting weights" they think of gym bros doing curls, shrugs and bench pressing. Most people who consider themselves experts think squats and deadlifts are "leg day".

People who use the word "weights" are potatoes who have absolutely zero knowledge of what it takes to be physically prepared for anything.

External resistance is the tool used to increase physical stress that causes a strength adaptation. This is easily applied with an implement that is increasingly heavier as the trainee adapts to physical stress....but stress is stress and a big factor in the what how and why of building a training program for an athlete is how sensitive to training stress they are. Good genetics=high sensitivity=strength gains with lower time and stress commitment.

A strong man equal in technique with a weak man will punch harder 100% of the time. It's why genetics decide who gets to be the best at physical sports. Everyone can practice but only very few can get strong without devoting all their physical and mental resources to that end.

Technical practice makes you a better puncher. Technical practice will have a 100 pound guy hit harder than a 200 pound guy. Everything else being equal...strength is the multiplier...hence the PED rules that must be followed.
This really depends. There are time trade-offs between skills development and strength training - there are only so many hours in a week and the young athlete must often choose between strength and skill training. I'm seeing this now in my oldest son with basketball, which is probably the most skill-dependent sport that needs to be played year-round for best results. The skills take much longer to perfect and is likely the best use of an athlete's time in a skill-dependent sport. Kids want to be kids. It's enough for them to just play. Strength training might really be valuable in their junior and senior years to take it to the next level.

As for boxing, Tyson was a powerful dude but his technique was impeccable which is where most of his power came from. We don't have any evidence that he moved a ton of weight, do we?

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I was there for a couple of days during the ‘code red’ swell last summer. Fun wave except for the crowd and how tight the takeoff spot is.
That spot can be crowded with five people (especially if one is Shaun Thompson). We would camp there for a week at the end of every summer. There was always an uncrowded window at some point in the day, usually around sunset.

Reactions: oeste858

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
I think the argument being made was missed. Of course, all things being equal. Therein lies the rub. The contention is that people who consistently lift potatoes develop inferior technique due to excessive muscular tension. Antagonistic tension allegedly slows down the technique. A slower technique has an obvious problem with power/physics. Lifting as most "body builders" lift has an especially poor reputation. You can generally tell when facing someone of this ilk within a few seconds. They carry their shoulders high. Tense. Which typically means slow. The scary guys are the ones who are totally loose. They understand where the real power is being generated.

I think we can see from the amount of material generated by both sides of this argument that I ain't making it up. I have decades of training experience re striking. This argument was going on when I walked through the door and it sounds like it is still being made.

Reactions: PRCD

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
The debate also assumes the trainee has plenty of time AND motivation for both skills development AND weight training which is usually not the case.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
The Tyson argument. I have heard it said that Tyson didn't lift weights until after his stint in prison for rape. Allegedly, previously, it was all calisthenics and heavy bags. Cus was pretty old school, but I have seen people put up photos of him lifting weights himself to show that he wasn't totally opposed to the concept. I have heard it said that Tyson said weights had about as much to do with punching power as "cheesecake." (or was it Twinkies?) I think he lifted. But the fact that this subject is still a bone of contention bears obvious witness to the durability of this argument.

I have heard it said that lifting potatoes is far more prevalent among heavy weight fighters who obviously don't have to make weight. Which makes some sense.

And I have to say kettlebells have become downright standard equipment for fighters.

Last edited:
Reactions: PRCD

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
This really depends. There are time trade-offs between skills development and strength training - there are only so many hours in a week and the young athlete must often choose between strength and skill training. I'm seeing this now in my oldest son with basketball, which is probably the most skill-dependent sport that needs to be played year-round for best results. The skills take much longer to perfect and is likely the best use of an athlete's time in a skill-dependent sport. Kids want to be kids. It's enough for them to just play. Strength training might really be valuable in their junior and senior years to take it to the next level.

As for boxing, Tyson was a powerful dude but his technique was impeccable which is where most of his power came from. We don't have any evidence that he moved a ton of weight, do we?
I don't know that kids need to weight train. There's nothing wrong with it but like you said....he's still developing skills and probably isn't clear on what he needs to do. For an athlete you would sort of need to know their weaknesses before you could adjust training as a part of addressing them. Even then Athletes don't strength train year round. They do it in the off-season usually weeks prior to the beginning of specific skill training (practice). These are competitors that are always looking for an edge no matter how slight. Complementing their skillset with additional strength is always a plus.

His body is all the proof you need. Tyson is a genetically gifted person who probably didn't need to send long hours strength training because he is one of the lucky ones that are highly sensitive to training stress. It's very common in high level athletes. Everyone has that one friend that stays lean and jacked year round while eating pizza and burgers.

There isn't a single high level athlete who hasn't strength trained. Well, maybe except for soccer players. The probably spend their free time doing yoga and being vegans. Training for them would be practicing braiding each others man buns.

Last edited:

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
top MMA guys are lifting, yes?

Izzy Adesanya the sports best striker, uses plenty of weight, at least if his training videos are true.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
His body is all the proof you need. Tyson is a genetically gifted person who probably didn't need to send long hours strength training because he is one of the lucky ones that are highly sensitive to training stress. It's very common in high level athletes. Everyone has that one friend that stays lean and jacked year round while eating pizza and burgers.
I was surfing on Namotu and the Fijian boat man who was naturally lean and muscular said to me, teasing, "Your muscle is fake because you had to get it in the gym."

Like when some other dude asks "why is that hot girl is with you?" It was an insult that was really a compliment.

But I agree that if you can get good genetics it will really help.

I also think my heavy lifting hindered my paddling.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I don't know that kids need to weight train. There's nothing wrong with it but like you said....he's still developing skills and probably isn't clear on what he needs to do. For an athlete you would sort of need to know their weaknesses before you could adjust training as a part of addressing them. Even then Athletes don't strength train year round. They do it in the off-season usually weeks prior to the beginning of specific skill training (practice). These are competitors that are always looking for an edge no matter how slight. Complementing their skillset with additional strength is always a plus.

There isn't a single high level athlete who hasn't strength trained. Well, maybe except for soccer players. The probably spend their free time doing yoga and being vegans. Training for them would be practicing braiding each others man buns.
This is my warning to my oldest son - the way to become an elite athlete is to have elite genetics.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
top MMA guys are lifting, yes?

Izzy Adesanya the sports best striker, uses plenty of weight, at least if his training videos are true.
Yes. The guy who just kicked Izzy's ass used weights as well. Not exactly standard WL routine, but he did pick some slightly heavy sh!t up and set it down. Boxing and MMA are two vastly different sports.

Last edited:
Reactions: freeride76

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
For sure.

Not a bad comparison though seeing as those were the two elite strikers (kickboxers) in the sport.

Does Canelo lift?

GGG?

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
For sure.

Not a bad comparison though seeing as those were the two elite strikers (kickboxers) in the sport.

Does Canelo lift?

GGG?
They all do and they always have as part of normal training. I wouldn’t bet money on Tyson Fury though. There hasn’t been a good heavyweight fighter in 20 years and I think he’s just naturally big and good enough to keep beating the cans they put in front of him.

Mike_Jones

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2009
Conceptually, I get the importance of lifting weights as one ages. But it is interesting that the shreddiest of 40+ shredders don't seem to train with weights.

Surfing
Kelly: I once saw a photo of him attending CrossFit with Shane, but he seems to avoid weights 99% of the time
Taylor Knox: he seems focused on body-weight exercises, though kettlebells enter the picture occasionally. he's said explicitly that he no longer lifts weights.
Bobby Martinez: I believe he's primarily boxing as cross-training, but not super confident on this
Rob Machado: Assuming primarily yoga
Mike Ho: ???

Snowboarding
Terje: relies on yoga, soccer and skateboarding

Skating
Tony Hawk: swimming as cross-training
AVE: CHEK training
Danny Way: CHEK training

Do you all think that sufficient strength training can be done without weights?

EDIT: Do you think that lifting weights is bad for shredding as you age? Are there any older pros who still shred and also lift weights? Shane Dorian comes to mind, but that's all I've got.

Age-lowered testosterone decreases exercise benefit. Depletion of adrenal DHEA is the cause.

DHEA supplementation is a viable workaround It doesn't just provide testosterone, it provides collagen, estrogen for women, aldosterone for strong teeth and bones, etc. .....DHEA, the age vitamin.