Aging Shredders + Lack of weight-training

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Worked hard for two years to get back in the best shape I've been in in a long time. Got my right shoulder a bit fired up while surfing in early February and it quieted down in a couple days. Got a brief stabbing pain pushing the board down to duckdive and then a low ache that lasted about two days. Since that incident every time I go to the gym and lift the shoulder gets very fired up. Pretty sure its just an impingement and tendonitis as I get good relief by taking a meloxicam every other day. Pretty bummed about it at this point. The gym had become an important part of my routine. I've tried to return to my workout routine three times since February when the shoulder feels good but a workout gets it fired up again. I'm a side sleeper to boot and it doesn't matter which side I sleep on its hard to get comfortable.

• Sad
Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Worked hard for two years to get back in the best shape I've been in in a long time. Got my right shoulder a bit fired up while surfing in early February and it quieted down in a couple days. Got a brief stabbing pain pushing the board down to duckdive and then a low ache that lasted about two days. Since that incident every time I go to the gym and lift the shoulder gets very fired up. Pretty sure its just an impingement and tendonitis as I get good relief by taking a meloxicam every other day. Pretty bummed about it at this point. The gym had become an important part of my routine. I've tried to return to my workout routine three times since February when the shoulder feels good but a workout gets it fired up again. I'm a side sleeper to boot and it doesn't matter which side I sleep on its hard to get comfortable.
If you want to surf for a long time, don’t surf for a long time.

That was the advice given to me by a 70 year who I see surfing almost every day.

My typical session used to be 3 hours. Now it’s 2, if it’s good. When I start feeling pain in the neck/shoulder I will end the session unless it’s really good. Unfortunately (?!!!) it’s been good a lot this winter. I just had ten days off due to a back flare up and today I surfed with no pain at all in the shoulder.

I’m learning- do as much as you can…but when pain arises back off a bit. Whatever you were doing in the gym, just dial it down a bit?

Last edited:

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
The powerful NSAID (meloxicam) is not doing you any long term favors, messing up your gut track and interfering with your body’s ability to heal itself.

Reactions: Autoprax

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach

That was the advice given to me by a 70 year who I see surfing almost every day.

My typical session used to be 3 hours. Now it’s 2, if it’s good. When I start feeling pain in the neck/shoulder I will end the session unless it’s really good. Unfortunately (?!!!) it’s been good a lot this winter. I just had ten days off due to a back flare up and today I surfed with no pain at all in the shoulder.

I’m learning to do as much as you can…but when pain arises back off a bit. Whatever you were doing in the gym, just dial it down a bit?
It kind of came together in South Brevard last Saturday, nothing remotely epic but after the kind of sub-average winter/spring we had, it was the first day in a while that kind of reminded me, yeah, workable chest high, I am definitely surfing better than in difficult thigh-waist.

Surfed for about 3:15 or so, decent pre-bake, and I was straight gassed by the end of it. Back/shoulder/leg muscles seizing up, etc.

Kind of noticed it on my bike on the trails, too. I start to gas and the legs burn and I'm huffing, I don't place the front wheel as well as I'd like, and I don't absorb the back wheel smacking roots as well as I'd like; more feet moving about the pedals....

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
The powerful NSAID (meloxicam) is not doing you any long term favors, messing up your gut track and interfering with your body’s ability to heal itself.
Meloxicam is a wonder-drug for my body. I take it with yogurt to avoid stomach problems. Dang it makes me feel good though. Got it for patellar tendonitis and saved the extras. Little arthritis in my hands, a knee that aches a little, a hip that is on borrowed time, a tooth that occasionally bothers me. Take one of those little pills and I feel like a million bucks the next day.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
oji-san

Capture.JPG

Taking up a hobby can be intimidating at any age, but 89-year-old Seiichi Sano (Japan) loves trying new things.

At the age of 80, after conquering Mount Fuji - the highest mountain in Japan - he suddenly thought to himself: "why don't I take up surfing?"

And now, Seiichi is the oldest person to surf (male); he was 88 years and 288 days old when the record was verified on 8 July 2022.

Seiichi was born in Hokkaido on 23 September 1933, meaning he'll celebrate his 90th birthday this year.

After graduating from secondary school, he had moved to Tokyo and attended a wireless telegraph school. It was a post-war environment back then, and Seiichi would take a wide variety of jobs, including as cabaret staff and a doorman at a foreigners' club.

"I had nothing on my CV, and I had no one to back me up," he said. "So I had to figure things out on my own. I had no fear, though."

Being the head of a small business meant that he had no time of his own for decades. By the time he had more free time, Seiichi was nearing 80!

One of the things Seiichi tried in his senior life was to climb Mount Fuji. It was as soon as he returned home, he suddenly decided to try out surfing.

And he admits the inspiration came from a surprising place: "I work with a bank manager who has a really tanned skin. I thought he may be a golfer, but when I asked him, he whispered to me, 'I surf'."

Three days later, Seiichi was stood in front of a beach with a surfboard and wet suit, ready to soak up the sun. Since then, Seiichi regularly rides the waves, even in chilly winter months. "People tell me surfing is dangerous, but I had far more scary moments in a car than on a surfboard!"

Seiichi is not a professional surfer, and is not interested in mastering common surfing skills. His favourite trick is a 180-degree jump on the surfboard. And oftentimes, he enjoys simply sitting on his board and taking in the view.

Seiichi says he is the sort of person who usually quits something wihtin three days. When asked why he still surfs, he said: "You do it for three days, then you take a break, and you do it again for three days, and so on. If you go into new things with a mindset that you don't have to continue trying forever, I think most people actually continue for a very long time."

However, he also has a rebellious spirit. "I've been told I am a fool. But it didn't bother me because I always thought people who say that kind of things are fools. I'm not perfect, but not too bad either."

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Meloxicam is a wonder-drug for my body. I take it with yogurt to avoid stomach problems. Dang it makes me feel good though. Got it for patellar tendonitis and saved the extras. Little arthritis in my hands, a knee that aches a little, a hip that is on borrowed time, a tooth that occasionally bothers me. Take one of those little pills and I feel like a million bucks the next day.
I've read several studies which state that NSAIDS damage soft tissue (tendons and cartilage) in the long run. I try to limit their use as much as possible.

"Based on the research literature, the short-term benefits of NSAIDs in the treatment of acute soft tissue injuries must be weighed against the potential long-term adverse effects on tissue healing, structure, and function."

Reactions: Chocki

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
I've read several studies which state that NSAIDS damage soft tissue (tendons and cartilage) in the long run. I try to limit their use as much as possible.

"Based on the research literature, the short-term benefits of NSAIDs in the treatment of acute soft tissue injuries must be weighed against the potential long-term adverse effects on tissue healing, structure, and function."

It sure is nice though to wake up not in pain.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER

I’m learning to do as much as you can…but when pain arises back off a bit. Whatever you were doing in the gym, just dial it down a bit?
There's a lot of truth to this. Living near the redline is fine when you're younger.....but if you want to surf often you need to dial those sessions back. Physical activity gets harder to recover from as we age. At 55 I can still do everything I did when I was 25 but man I take a lot of naps.

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
Dead arm hangs, five minutes a day.

Work up to two minutes at a time, total ten minutes a day.

Any shoulder impingement will be a thing of the past, plus you'll have better posture and a nice firm handshake.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Conceptually, I get the importance of lifting weights as one ages. But it is interesting that the shreddiest of 40+ shredders don't seem to train with weights.

Surfing
Kelly: I once saw a photo of him attending CrossFit with Shane, but he seems to avoid weights 99% of the time
Taylor Knox: he seems focused on body-weight exercises, though kettlebells enter the picture occasionally. he's said explicitly that he no longer lifts weights.
Bobby Martinez: I believe he's primarily boxing as cross-training, but not super confident on this
Rob Machado: Assuming primarily yoga
Mike Ho: ???

Snowboarding
Terje: relies on yoga, soccer and skateboarding

Skating
Tony Hawk: swimming as cross-training
AVE: CHEK training
Danny Way: CHEK training

Do you all think that sufficient strength training can be done without weights?

EDIT: Do you think that lifting weights is bad for shredding as you age? Are there any older pros who still shred and also lift weights? Shane Dorian comes to mind, but that's all I've got.
You seen Tony Hawk in person lately? I don’t recommend his program at all.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
You seen Tony Hawk in person lately? I don’t recommend his program at all.
I am the same age as Tony Hawk and I can't imagine doing the stuff he does. The last time I skated the ramps at the local skate park I came down off of a ramp with my weight on my back foot. I rescued it and didn't even fall but in losing my balance and reacting for that split second I threw my back out so bad that I was messed up for three weeks. A couple of weeks after that I was at the park with my son and a guy about five years younger than me took a very minor fall and started screaming.......he had ruptured his bicep tendon and his entire bicep muscle was rolled up in a ball down by his elbow. I'll stick with flat ground and water at this stage of the game.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I am the same age as Tony Hawk and I can't imagine doing the stuff he does. The last time I skated the ramps at the local skate park I came down off of a ramp with my weight on my back foot. I rescued it and didn't even fall but in losing my balance and reacting for that split second I threw my back out so bad that I was messed up for three weeks. A couple of weeks after that I was at the park with my son and a guy about five years younger than me took a very minor fall and started screaming.......he had ruptured his bicep tendon and his entire bicep muscle was rolled up in a ball down by his elbow. I'll stick with flat ground and water at this stage of the game.
Maybe if he did weight training that would not have happened? Muscles and tendons adapt to training stress. Cartilege too.