Aging Shredders + Lack of weight-training

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
Conceptually, I get the importance of lifting weights as one ages. But it is interesting that the shreddiest of 40+ shredders don't seem to train with weights.

Surfing
Kelly: I once saw a photo of him attending CrossFit with Shane, but he seems to avoid weights 99% of the time
Taylor Knox: he seems focused on body-weight exercises, though kettlebells enter the picture occasionally. he's said explicitly that he no longer lifts weights.
Bobby Martinez: I believe he's primarily boxing as cross-training, but not super confident on this
Rob Machado: Assuming primarily yoga
Mike Ho: ???

Snowboarding
Terje: relies on yoga, soccer and skateboarding

Skating
Tony Hawk: swimming as cross-training
AVE: CHEK training
Danny Way: CHEK training

Do you all think that sufficient strength training can be done without weights?

EDIT: Do you think that lifting weights is bad for shredding as you age? Are there any older pros who still shred and also lift weights? Shane Dorian comes to mind, but that's all I've got.

Last edited:

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
The people you listed are all basically full time athletes. If I surfed every day I'd be shredded and never have to go to the gym but I live in NJ and 3/4 of the time its flat and have a job and family. I go lift weights 4-5 times a week.
Yeah. I’m not too surprised they’re all ripped. I suppose I’m trying to suss out how many older (ripping) surfers rely on weight lifting versus those who don’t. Looking at Jersey surfers is interesting since they can’t surf every day. Mike Gleason is a gym guy, or at least was. I don’t know about Sam Hammer, though I know he loves running (according to INstsgram).

Last edited:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Good question.

Who would be on a list of 60+ year olds still ripping (not just cruising longboards)? I can only think of Mike Ho. There must be others. I’d love to know their routines. 70+?

Reactions: slipped_disc

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Yeah. I’m not too surprised they’re all ripped. I suppose I’m trying to suss out how many older (ripping) surfers rely on weight lifting versus those who don’t. Looking at Jersey surfers is interesting since they can’t surf every day. Mike Gleason is a gym guy, or at least was. I don’t know about Sam Hammer, though I know he loves running (according to INstsgram).
Mike Gleason really isn't old. Guessing he's <40? I'm 53 and spend 8 hours a day either behind a desk or behind the wheel. Without weight lifting, bicycle riding and 5 mile walks, I pretty much wouldn't be able to ride a shortboard at this stage of the game.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Most of the older guys still ripping are not hitting the weights, they are just staying active.

What derails them ultimately is traumatic injury, cancer, or cardiac issues.
A lot of that comes down to what you ate earlier in life, whether too much food or bad _____ in the case of the throat cancers you’ve been seeing.

Surfers need to quit smoking pot and doing other drugs so they don’t end up perma fried like Tom Curren.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
I think it is how badly do you want it? As you get older sh!t breaks, recovery takes longer, going through surgery, rehab...

Are you willing to pay the extra price for something that cost less when you were younger? Time/energy/commitment become tangible with age. When younger those things seemed endless.

I know a 67 y/o who recently went through Chemo and had his stomach removed. Lost a lot of weight. Two years ago he was still surfing OBSF 3-4 hrs sessions up to 4-5 days a week and getting waves at will. Now all of that is less so, but he is still hungry for it and is out and getting waves.

What I have found helpful is breath training, stretching, and staying about 5lbs. lighter than what I typically had in the past.

Last edited:

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
You can get plenty functionally strong with body weight exercises
What people forget is that this is still stength or resistance training. Doesn’t always have to involve weight plates.

In terms of longevity, cognitive and metabolic health, strength/resistance training (whatever medium you choose) is superior to all other forms of exercise.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
I'm 60 and still comfortable on shortboards. I think the primary benefit of strength/resistance training may be to help prevent injuries in sports like surfing.

Cool thing about surfing when older is that it forces you to stay in good shape. For me, in addition to gym workouts, I do some yoga moves + McKenzie Method daily for neck & lower back and to keep generally limber, get plenty of cardio swimming, spinning, or whatever, and maintain a healthy diet.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
In terms of longevity, cognitive and metabolic health, strength/resistance training (whatever medium you choose) is superior to all other forms of exercise.
I think aerobic training is superior for those benefits. Why do you believe strength/resistance training is?

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I think aerobic training is superior for those benefits. Why do you believe strength/resistance training is?
I do a combination of body and barbell...and cardio. Cardio is essential if you want to avoid a heart attack or stroke. Strength is for general quality of life in old age (combats sarcopenia=muscle loss).

I was of the "surfing is the best exercise for surfing" mindset until I got injured surfing. Then I decided I needed some extra insurance.

ps what is spinning?

Reactions: slipped_disc

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
I do a combination of body and barbell...and cardio. Cardio is essential if you want to avoid a heart attack or stroke. Strength is for general quality of life in old age (combats sarcopenia=muscle loss).

I was of the "surfing is the best exercise for surfing" mindset until I got injured surfing. Then I decided I needed some extra insurance.

ps what is spinning?
Stationary bike.

How'd you get injured?

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Stationary bike.

How'd you get injured?
3 years ago, right after Christmas, just before Covid, we had three days in a row of great surf. Head high barrel fests. About a couple hours into my third session my back started cramping. I thought it was the cold and started stretching my back (flexion- probably the wrong thing to do). I got worse and worse and when I realized I had to get out I couldn't bend over to take the leash off my foot because of the. back pain. It took me an agonizing 45 minutes to get my wetsuit off. By that evening, after popping a lot of ibuprofen I could not stand unassisted (I had to prop myself on walls and furniture). I went to ER the next day, got pumped with steroids and opioids and sent on my way. It's been a long journey back to health PT and then barbell rehab). I'm back on shortboards (presently a 6-4) but am realizing that surfing a short board triggers my back way more than riding a mid length or longboard...

I wish no one the same experience and yet I think it is common. I would advise anyone who listens to get on the deadlift program to avoid this journey. I had zero back issues before this incident. Now the pain is chronic.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I don't "believe" it is, I know it is. More muscle mass = improved glucose regulation because you have more space to absorb glucose and more demand for it, which carries over into all of the benefits I outlined above plus many more.

Cardio can help with those benefits as well, however most of that mechanistic benefit is derived while doing the activity, while muscle mass is active 24/7. Strength training builds a bigger engine that requires more fuel.

Cardio is like digging holes for an hourly wage to build wealth, while strength training is like funding a high yielding ETF that makes you money while you aren't working.

Reactions: averagejoe

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
*** Surfers need to quit smoking pot and doing other drugs so they don’t end up perma fried like Tom Curren.***

Don't ask me how I know. Certainly not permanent fried ...... but, one pay's, for those fun times down the road.

*** Cardio is like digging holes for an hourly wage to build wealth, while strength training is like funding a high yielding ETF that makes you money while you aren't working. ***

:applause2: A great analogy .... @grapedrink :shaka:

Last edited: