A thread about fishing.....just for the halibut.....

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
So do a shitload of people in Florida, some probably from rivers/lakes that are even worse off than the ocean.

There's plenty of 2 servings per week fish species in Florida. Is the below source who I should be looking at for NSW, because they say 2-3 servings per week of quite a few species.

Also it says your mackerel are low in mercury, but ours are considered very high even in the Atlantic, far, far away from the rigs in the Gulf.

Is this or something shaped very similar to it what you're calling a mackerel?

yep.

Larger mackerel are a source of cigautera poisoning and they recommend not eating fish over 30 pounds.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
To most people here Mackerel means Boston Mackerel. Not Spanish, Cero or King. We do get Spanish up here but mostly as bycatch when trolling small feathers and spoons from mid-summer to early fall. Spanish are one of my favorite fish to eat so long as they are well cared for and cooked fresh.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I've got a 23 foot center console but would really like to downsize to a vintage 16 Whaler. Would love to get my hands on a Sakonnet
You do any fishing offshore, the bluefins are out there on the 30 line. I gave the surf a shot with the fly rod this morning, conditions were good, saw a couple of stripers cruising in the wash but would not eat, caught a few undersize fluke. I owned a 23 parker D/V when I was running charters it was a great boat both inshore and offshore.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I've got a 23 foot center console but would really like to downsize to a vintage 16 Whaler. Would love to get my hands on a Sakonnet
I'd worry about that. Even in perfect condition, some of those older boats you have to get custom work done to mount the heavier 4 strokes. Rot in the transom, add more time/$.

Keen looks like he is taking good care of a Yamaha 2-stroke.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
You do any fishing offshore, the bluefins are out there on the 30 line. I gave the surf a shot with the fly rod this morning, conditions were good, saw a couple of stripers cruising in the wash but would not eat, caught a few undersize fluke. I owned a 23 parker D/V when I was running charters it was a great boat both inshore and offshore.
I was addicted to offshore fishing for many years. I had my license and ran charters from 1998 to 2008. The first few years I was running inshore and back bay trips with my own boat and captaining canyon overnighters on a beautiful 50 foot sportfish. From there I took a job running a brand new 42-foot express sportfisher mostly doing canyon day trips and deep water wreck trips for a corporation out of Philadelphia. My boat is parked waiting for me to get the motivation to get back in the game.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
I'd worry about that. Even in perfect condition, some of those older boats you have to get custom work done to mount the heavier 4 strokes. Rot in the transom, add more time/$.

Keen looks like he is taking good care of a Yamaha 2-stroke.
I'd love to do a full rebuild on an old 60s whaler. Looked at one at the beginning of Covid but didn't pull the trigger. The bigger the basket case the better. I have the skills to do just about anything with foam and fiberglass.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I'd love to do a full rebuild on an old 60s whaler. Looked at one at the beginning of Covid but didn't pull the trigger. The bigger the basket case the better. I have the skills to do just about anything with foam and fiberglass.
A lot of the old ones are very waterlogged, can be a can worms to restore.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I was addicted to offshore fishing for many years. I had my license and ran charters from 1998 to 2008. The first few years I was running inshore and back bay trips with my own boat and captaining canyon overnighters on a beautiful 50 foot sportfish. From there I took a job running a brand new 42-foot express sportfisher mostly doing canyon day trips and deep water wreck trips for a corporation out of Philadelphia. My boat is parked waiting for me to get the motivation to get back in the game.
Kinda the same deal for me, just could not take the hours doing the offshore stuff any longer.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
A lot of the old ones are very waterlogged, can be a can worms to restore.
I'm fine with a waterlooged basket case. Removed and replaced about 400 pounds of saturated foam in my current boat a few summers ago.

Kinda the same deal for me, just could not take the hours doing the offshore stuff any longer.
Running the corporate boat I got tired of fishing with greenhorns and people who really didn't care. That's what burned me out. When I chartered my own boat and the 50 sportfisher it was a much better clientele that were totally stoked on fishing. In 2008 when the boat went to Florida for the winter it did not come back thanks to the economic collapse. I was not unhappy that it didn't come back.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
To most people here Mackerel means Boston Mackerel. Not Spanish, Cero or King. We do get Spanish up here but mostly as bycatch when trolling small feathers and spoons from mid-summer to early fall. Spanish are one of my favorite fish to eat so long as they are well cared for and cooked fresh.
You got to be careful about scombroid poisoning in the tropics too.

no fish from dodgy restaurants

even fish straight from boats can be suspect if they don't have any ice/cold storage.

Beerbelly

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2010
You got to be careful about scombroid poisoning in the tropics too.

no fish from dodgy restaurants

even fish straight from boats can be suspect if they don't have any ice/cold storage.
Was stuck eating barely refrigerated fish fir a week on a sketchy boat trip to Sumbawa. No solid shits for a month.