A thread about fishing.....just for the halibut.....

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
well it's less visible, more abrasion resistant, and it stretches less. Those are facts.
thats what the marketing hype says. If you’re not fishing in blue water I bet it makes a pvssy hair’s bit of difference.

one local fishing shop says go with mono leader for inshore fishing, the other says go with fluoro.

tying knots with fluoro also sucks

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I use fluoro leader usually. I feel like I fish lots of shallow, clean water that's heavily pressured, with lures, so it has to look right. Seatrout and snapper can be picky in clearer water. Snook abrade leaders badly on on their gill plates; if the snook is over 20" it's basically a guaranteed re-tie, you might get 2 if they're 14-16". I tie uni to uni with braid or mono to fluoro and for nanofil to fluoro I use an alberto.

Snapper fisherman especially are picky about light hooks embedded in bait and using really light fluorocarbon leader.

Speaking of snapper fishing, today and the two preceding days, along with upcoming Friday, are the four days per year you can keep them in Atlantic Florida. Drove 3 hours Friday night. Woke up at 5:15 Sat morning, got to buddy's early, boat pre-loaded, everything perfectly smooth. Brisk offshore breeze. Ride out, about 18 miles, get to the spot, several other boats working the same ledgeline in close vicinity - within 80 yards in some cases. Wind and chop are pushing the boat. I feel like I'm okay jigging, but the bait guys are getting twisted and spun and don't think they're in the strike zone. We fish for about 20-30 minutes, I get a false albacore on the jig, probably 12#, great fight. They decide to try to anchor, so I go up front, fetch it out, and they're taking forever looking at the depth sounder and I've sat down on the deck. I start getting sick. I stand back up and stare into the wind at the horizon and settle a little. They still have their fists up their ass, I ask what is up, they tell me to put the anchor away.

Power steering leak in the console, no steering, no pressure in the system so the motors are free to wobble back in forth and won't track straight. The bow keeps catching the offshore wind and turning the boat towards Morocco. We get some outrigger line, lash the steering nut mount brackets to each other and the outboard stern cleats on each side, and this kind of holds them but there's still stretch in the line, the bow catches chop, and the boat veers off course. Basically have to ride in, two of us, one on each motor, outboard of the hull standing on the motor bracket, holding the motors straight so the slight play in the cord doesn't let the boat get off course, and when it does, we kind of wrestle against the cord to angle the motors a hair and turn back on course. At about 9 miles it gets a little better with the chop subsiding, and still a little better inside 5. We rummage and find some slightly stronger, less stretchy cord, re-rig, and thank heavens it was an offshore wind and incoming tide because Sebastian gets bad standing waves on top of each other over the rocky bottom on an outgoing tide and onshore wind. We get through the jetties, the bridge, and into the lagoon are able to limp down the ICW back to the dock, and kind of drift/pivot back into the slip.

Took like 5 hours to go 18 miles in a boat that can go 60, caught one fish.

Aug 15, 2005
Hey, we use mono on tennis rackets. Believe it or not, as the hardest hitting server in USA, I can attest mono and flouro tests are inconclusive. As a wildcard rookie at the U.S.OpenOfTennis, my mono snapped and was left with no webbing. I won a 6–4, 3–6, 6–7, 7–6, 70–68 using the CarbonFiber rim of my racket, but disqualified due to improper equipent. So I used he same racket to SUP around the L.I. Sound, into the Atlantic and KiteSurf around the horn to OBSF, ride a PotatoPatch wave into the bay and sail my way to my doorstep in Berkeley CA in time to water the garden and feed the cats. No cramps, no problem! OBSF, I fish with my hands, no gear required. Easy, fun!

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Marlin jumps out at 2.05. What do you do when you get a big marlin to the kayak? I'd be afraid a giant tiger would come along on the way back to shore.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I use fluoro leader usually. I feel like I fish lots of shallow, clean water that's heavily pressured, with lures, so it has to look right. Seatrout and snapper can be picky in clearer water. Snook abrade leaders badly on on their gill plates; if the snook is over 20" it's basically a guaranteed re-tie, you might get 2 if they're 14-16". I tie uni to uni with braid or mono to fluoro and for nanofil to fluoro I use an alberto.

Snapper fisherman especially are picky about light hooks embedded in bait and using really light fluorocarbon leader.

Speaking of snapper fishing, today and the two preceding days, along with upcoming Friday, are the four days per year you can keep them in Atlantic Florida. Drove 3 hours Friday night. Woke up at 5:15 Sat morning, got to buddy's early, boat pre-loaded, everything perfectly smooth. Brisk offshore breeze. Ride out, about 18 miles, get to the spot, several other boats working the same ledgeline in close vicinity - within 80 yards in some cases. Wind and chop are pushing the boat. I feel like I'm okay jigging, but the bait guys are getting twisted and spun and don't think they're in the strike zone. We fish for about 20-30 minutes, I get a false albacore on the jig, probably 12#, great fight. They decide to try to anchor, so I go up front, fetch it out, and they're taking forever looking at the depth sounder and I've sat down on the deck. I start getting sick. I stand back up and stare into the wind at the horizon and settle a little. They still have their fists up their ass, I ask what is up, they tell me to put the anchor away.

Power steering leak in the console, no steering, no pressure in the system so the motors are free to wobble back in forth and won't track straight. The bow keeps catching the offshore wind and turning the boat towards Morocco. We get some outrigger line, lash the steering nut mount brackets to each other and the outboard stern cleats on each side, and this kind of holds them but there's still stretch in the line, the bow catches chop, and the boat veers off course. Basically have to ride in, two of us, one on each motor, outboard of the hull standing on the motor bracket, holding the motors straight so the slight play in the cord doesn't let the boat get off course, and when it does, we kind of wrestle against the cord to angle the motors a hair and turn back on course. At about 9 miles it gets a little better with the chop subsiding, and still a little better inside 5. We rummage and find some slightly stronger, less stretchy cord, re-rig, and thank heavens it was an offshore wind and incoming tide because Sebastian gets bad standing waves on top of each other over the rocky bottom on an outgoing tide and onshore wind. We get through the jetties, the bridge, and into the lagoon are able to limp down the ICW back to the dock, and kind of drift/pivot back into the slip.

Took like 5 hours to go 18 miles in a boat that can go 60, caught one fish.
Boats can be sooo much fun!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Marlin jumps out at 2.05. What do you do when you get a big marlin to the kayak? I'd be afraid a giant tiger would come along on the way back to shore.

I'd be more scared trying to leader it close enough to bill it with no gunwhale to hide behind than some Old Man and the Sea sh!t. You get stabbed bad in a kayak you're in deep, deep sh!t. Once I had it billed, I'd just try to turn into the current to revive it and get a good release.

Keeping a marlin in Florida if it's not a slam-dunk world record = auto blacklist from everything, persona non-grata, Sea Tow/BoatUS memberships cancelled...
I'd worry about a sportfish captain running me over.

Reactions: the janitor

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Those kayakers always have a mother ship close by when getting the hero shots.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
thats what the marketing hype says. If you’re not fishing in blue water I bet it makes a pvssy hair’s bit of difference.

one local fishing shop says go with mono leader for inshore fishing, the other says go with fluoro.

tying knots with fluoro also sucks
It's not hype if it's true. There are species of fish that bite straight mono just fine and that's what I use. The fishery I'm in it's used widespread across the whole community.

I don't get the knot thing?

Reactions: need 4 speed

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
I'd be more scared trying to leader it close enough to bill it with no gunwhale to hide behind than some Old Man and the Sea sh!t. You get stabbed bad in a kayak you're in deep, deep sh!t. Once I had it billed, I'd just try to turn into the current to revive it and get a good release.

Keeping a marlin in Florida if it's not a slam-dunk world record = auto blacklist from everything, persona non-grata, Sea Tow/BoatUS memberships cancelled...

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
i dont fish. i drink and sleep. i hate the patience required for fishing. that being said...teh thought of some huge 500 fish dragging my kayak all aroudn the F*()#*&()# ocean sounds awesome, big fish con teeth be damned.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal

Those billfish do charge the boat. In a ponga I had a 150lb sailfish come straight at us from 50 yds out -bill out of the water. My father and the guide almost jumped overboard.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Anybody who has marlin fished has a story of a pissed off fish greyhounding right at the boat, thats when a good capt and crew is critical.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I actually met captain frank mundus when I was a wee lad, same year he caught his record

i think my mom may still have a photo of little subway with the already legendary captain, or at least she did years ago. I couldn't have been more than 4 or 5

Reactions: mundus

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I actually met captain frank mundus when I was a wee lad, same year he caught his record

i think my mom may still have a photo of little subway with the already legendary captain, or at least she did years ago. I couldn't have been more than 4 or 5
Cool, feel bad using the legends name now, have to change it,

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Nah it’s as good a handle as any. An homage if you will. sh!t I came up with mine just cause I was selling subway ads when I found this erBB, and was still at that point often taking the subway out to surf Rockaway. Seemed logical. it was unfortunate when subway Jared got outed and jailed for Pederasty. luckily that double entendre hasn’t seemed to follow my handle around all these years, cause it’s kind of become my online persona both here and on the socials

Reactions: mundus