A thread about fishing.....just for the halibut.....

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Nice fish boys! Been hearing a few reports of blue fin off SD. Anyone getting any or hearing reports as well?

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
we get blues here, and they'll aggressively hit surface plugs at all times of day.

lot of the good spots are at the point breaks I surf.

keep the gear rigged up and when the schools move through hitting bait I'll come in, grab a couple, put in rock pools and continue the surf.

get a feed to bring home and a surf.

Mulloway are a prize (White Sea bass).
This forty pounder hit a large plug retrieved dead slow in shallow water on the top of a full moon tide at the base of a local point where I'd seen mullet staging up.

Dude...

Reactions: ShiverMeTimbers

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Who knows whats up with the best trout fishing? I'm over the flashy stuff, belly fulla ankimo and back to heart, trout is the fish of kings. If kings are just me. Which they aren't. But kings eat shlt fish i'd imagine, you know how rich folk are. I don't. I've never met a king. Met Tank Abbot once.

Gettin' some davy brown on the rainy times, exploiting my poison oak immunity, but whats up here in dry summer time?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Haven't been doin' much. Been kind of sorting out gear for the mullet run so not really fishing the correct thing, just getting a rig and making sure it casts and cranks and the drag is fine. It's gone kind of dry, whereas back in June and early month, it was raining like clockwork every day. Also quite a bit of Southerly which has dirtied up the water in addition to making it windy, currenty, and wet for light tackle lure casting. I have some ideas for that though.

whats the attraction to putting a fish on the wall as opposed to the fridge?
Those could easily be 'release mounts' where you come up with species, length, and circumference and they make the mount. Not sure if the taxidermist responsible for these posters' stuff wants or was supplied with the fish in question. They might have released it into the cooler, measured it at the dock, and ate it.

Who knows whats up with the best trout fishing? I'm over the flashy stuff, belly fulla ankimo and back to heart, trout is the fish of kings. If kings are just me. Which they aren't. But kings eat shlt fish i'd imagine, you know how rich folk are. I don't. I've never met a king. Met Tank Abbot once.

Gettin' some davy brown on the rainy times, exploiting my poison oak immunity, but whats up here in dry summer time?
Since your avatar is Gardner Minshew, I might assume you are talking about seatrout in North Florida. If Davy Brown means brown trout and poison oak is something you're running into hiking, I have no idea.

But if you're talking about spotted seatrout in North Florida, right now, I'd try early/late with whatever I liked to fish with. Trout are good about hitting lures and will hit live bait as well. Maybe try any bridge you can fish from around a slack tide, or the creeks in the middle of the falling tide, or deep holes at low tide.

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
Walked down river from where I live, was dropping a rooster tail down deeper in fairly fast moving/with dead spots and retrieving slowish. Pulled the biggest rainbow trout since starting this stretch, about 13". Then soaked in the river.

Reactions: Q_Surf

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
whats the attraction to putting a fish on the wall as opposed to the fridge?
If you are not a fisherman, you don't get it, nothing wrong with that.
Just like a surfer, you would like a picture of yourself on a bomb to show off on the wall.
Once again nothing wrong with that.
You have no idea how much fish, me and the wife and all my friends and family eat on an annual basis.
Wifey and I are headed up to Alaska in 3 weeks to stock the freezer once again.
Those fish I posted on the wall are special. It's just one of those things.
Like I said, If you don't fish, you don't get it.
Keeno, help me out here!

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Just like a surfer, you would like a picture of yourself on a bomb to show off on the wall.
You have no idea how much fish, me and the wife and all my friends and family eat on an annual basis.
Keeno, help me out here!
Are they skin mounts or Replicas?

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Are they skin mounts or Replicas?
Not skin mounts.
Nobody does that anymore.
Only one that is a replica, the Calico.
The others were hot sand molds taken from the actual fish I caught.
Sorry, the meat is lost.
Lyon's & O'Haver down in SD have the molds of my fish for anyone that wants a reproduction.
It cost a bit more, but I wanted a mount of my fish. Unfortunately, I just found out that L&O closed shop.
With out a doubt, THE BEST taxi's in the world.
I am so stoked to have these mounts

Funny story...
When the Thomas Fire came knocking on the door a few years ago, the first things I put in the boat and trailer were my fish mounts along with all my tackle and surf boards, then important papers and photos.
Funny where people's priorities rest

Reactions: mundus

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Keeno, help me out here!
hahah, no need for the jab pal.
Fished my whole life. Fed my family and neighbours since I was 10 years old. Worked on boats all over the Pacific.
There's two things that are never out of my car: surfboards and fishing gear.

Just a different culture, I guess.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
hahah, no need for the jab pal.
Fished my whole life. Fed my family and neighbours since I was 10 years old. Worked on boats all over the Pacific.
There's two things that are never out of my car: surfboards and fishing gear.

Just a different culture, I guess.
My neighbor just sent a scout by to tell me the cows are on the way down to the beach from inland via the river bank. We’ve had two nights of rain and he says the river is up, will break out on the next rain, like tonight. He’s been doing this for 50+ years and is a good judge of when snook season is gonna start. I hope he’s right.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
My neighbor just sent a scout by to tell me the cows are on the way down to the beach from inland via the river bank. We’ve had two nights of rain and he says the river is up, will break out on the next rain, like tonight. He’s been doing this for 50+ years and is a good judge of when snook season is gonna start. I hope he’s right.
What is it about the rain that makes snook season start? Is it just fish previously dispersed on surf and nearshore structure concentrating at the river mouths, or is it fish stuck in the lagoons/rivers coming out?