A thread about fishing.....just for the halibut.....

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Haven't been doin' much. Been kind of sorting out gear for the mullet run so not really fishing the correct thing, just getting a rig and making sure it casts and cranks and the drag is fine. It's gone kind of dry, whereas back in June and early month, it was raining like clockwork every day. Also quite a bit of Southerly which has dirtied up the water in addition to making it windy, currenty, and wet for light tackle lure casting. I have some ideas for that though.

Those could easily be 'release mounts' where you come up with species, length, and circumference and they make the mount. Not sure if the taxidermist responsible for these posters' stuff wants or was supplied with the fish in question. They might have released it into the cooler, measured it at the dock, and ate it.

Since your avatar is Gardner Minshew, I might assume you are talking about seatrout in North Florida. If Davy Brown means brown trout and poison oak is something you're running into hiking, I have no idea.

But if you're talking about spotted seatrout in North Florida, right now, I'd try early/late with whatever I liked to fish with. Trout are good about hitting lures and will hit live bait as well. Maybe try any bridge you can fish from around a slack tide, or the creeks in the middle of the falling tide, or deep holes at low tide.

My avatar is Gardner Minshew because he is the man.
I last trout fished in Chumash territory.

Last edited:

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Central coast? IAnything not stocked is probably eastern sierra for closest. There are a million creeks, streams etc outside of Kernville if you do the exploring. Sespe wilderness and a few others like that with year round water have trout as well but you gotta do some legwork, and they're small fish. Get the lightest rod you can find.

Reactions: stringcheese

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Freaks like these are why we have hundreds of yards of backing on the reel.

My office on the uber-clear, spring-fed McKenzie river - where trout eat dry flies all day! It's a blast to guide peeps into em.
Attaboy! :jamon:

We’re still fishless but the river is flowing pretty good. Hope springs eternal.

Best to you and your bride!

• Love
Reactions: Q_Surf

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Testing photo upload

HELLOOOO

So been slow for me. I see some small whiting being caught, guy had a big stingray. Lovely sunsets before the Isaias swell. I blew it this week though, never put my camera back in my bag and two days in a row there were double rainbows trying to form, had about 15 minutes of fishing with one of them perfect. Also some good light shows out to sea.

DSCF6146[1].JPG
DSCF6147.JPG

DSCF6150.JPG

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I got a short spanny mack on a gold spoon off a tiny little rip bowl. Pretty sure the pic is blurry af. Had a rain mid-afternoon and a good storm right now, had a ripping SSE wind feeding this thunderstorm cell while fishing.

Reactions: HarryLopez

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I spooked two short halibut while diving today and passed on lots of calicos and a big fat rockfish in 4-6/10 viz. A yuge school of barred surfperch swam by me a bunch of times and that was pretty rad. So far this summer has sucked for warm water temps.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
My cousin just booked a day trip to go out for yellowfin tuna and invited me. I should accept the invite, right?
If you are not prone to seasickness, yes, you should accept the invite.

If you are prone to seasickness, you should graciously decline but express enthusiasm for Sound and Raritan/Delaware/Chesapeake Bay missions which should involve less of a sea.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Last night, some seatrout on the South side of the Pier, guy looked to be throwing very small soft plastics. Monster stingray cruising along/through the Pier. Like 6' across. Gigantor.

Also tons of starfish in the wash. I was wondering if the afternoon's lightning storm whacked the Pier and fried them all or something. There were dozens and dozens.

Got two lower slot-ish trout tonight on the mirrodine. Obvious small mullet pods moving South, against the side/side-off wind.

Also, you can clearly see at a distance a thunderstorm cell. Note top of the anvil flattening out as it hits troposphere/stratosphere boundary. When a storm's updraft is strong enough, it can punch through. Those are the gnarly ones.

DSCF6152.JPGDSCF6153.JPGDSCF6155.JPGDSCF6156.JPG

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Or impaled. Imagine getting an accidental body shot on that thing and having turn on you and go nuts, or just run and take your gun and all that expensive gear 200 miles away. No thanks. 2 head shots but wonder how the they managed to not get the video of especially the first one.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Flat and good viz on the nearshore reefs on the Northern Treasure Coast. Kayaked out, say 300 yards or so off the beach. Lots of flat rock with undercut ledges. 12-15 feet of water. First reefline festooned with boats. There was a treasure prospector boat about 50 feet off the sand.

My buddy had a tank; I was just snorkeling. Found a big one off the bat, but he got away. Buddy got a smaller one, we bagged it. Poked around some more, didn't find any more until my buddy was almost empty. Saw a ledge with antennae poking out all over the place. Saw a big one kind of in the middle, looking at my buddy, and I was able to get a little lasso stick around his tail and up to the legs and pull him out. Immediately my buddy netted him and we surfaced.

Between the current and not being a practiced snorkeler it was challenging. I was insanely lucky to get the loop over his tail, and I was already thinking about the surface when I yanked him. Had another time trying to set kayak's anchor, my buddy dropped his net and tickle stick, and I saw it from mid-column towards the end of a hold, swam down to grab it, and was gasping by the time I popped up.

The other thing is pacing myself, recovery, and not flipping the fck out when I see glorious nuggets lurking the ledge. I swear the instant I see one of the things my heart rate just goes nuts.

I'd never done it before but it was tons of fun.

DSCF6161 (2).JPG