4th of July plans?

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Santa Barbara announced all county beaches will be closed this weekend. Jalama is within the county so I assume it will be closed.
Monterey county just did the same. All Monterey county beaches are now closed. I'm guessing that also means all of the Big Sur campgrounds as well.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
State Beaches in San Diego will have the parking lots closed this weekend, though the beaches themselves wont be closed. Assuming the city beaches will keep parking lots open.

Our crew had planned to use our State Parks passes for what is always no hassle parking at Torrey Pines, but with that closed, I don't dare brave the sh*t show that is La Jolla Shores... city beach, free parking, etc.

Have friends with a house right across from Mission Bay so will probably lay low there which isnt too far from home. Surf Friday, Surf Sunday. Gonna be warming up!

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Even before this covid scare you needed to be waiting at the gates of the local state beaches at 8 AM in order to get a parking place for the day on the 4th of July. All of the local communities like La Selva beach close off the streets in their neighborhoods to keep tourists from parking in front of their homes.

It will be the same this weekend, covid or not. Show up late and you're not going to the beach at all.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
I see a financial opportunity. Park at my house in Carp, ride in the back of my truck to the trail at cracks. Pick-up at end of day...

What's it worth?
didn't you have a campsite at jalama this summer? what ever happened to that?

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Would HR beaches be open because they are private? I'm rushing the gates!! Where's Connor at??

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
People move to SB for the waves, thinking that it's gonna be dreamy point break waves like they see in the mags. The comedown happens when they realize it's like that about 2 days a year, and the rest of the time it's nada.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
A very sketchy start today. Woke up early. Decided to head down the hill to the supermarket for some supplies. Safeway at the Soquel end of 41st Ave. I was on Soquel Drive, turned into the Safeway parking lot. A Santa Cruz county Sherriff SUV in front of me.

Chaos! A couple hundred cars parked. Gangstas. Big groups walking around, yelling at each other. All from out of town. Gang signs flying, more driving in. At least a dozen Sherriff and Santa Cruz county CHP vehicles on scene already. A lot of lowrider car club dudes.

The hairs on the back of my neck were tickling driving through it. Felt like I was going to be in the middle of the crossfire. No masks, no social distancing. The word is out that Santa Cruz county is open for bidness.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
People move to SB for the waves, thinking that it's gonna be dreamy point break waves like they see in the mags. The comedown happens when they realize it's like that about 2 days a year, and the rest of the time it's nada.
I posit
Santa Barbara is the worst stretch of coast in California, year over average.
You'll spend more time looking at flat water or driving hours than you would anywhere else.