4/3 recommendations

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I dunno how someone wears a hood without plugs.

I also dont see how a hood improves upon a set of properly fitting plugs.

plugs are amazing in cold water. my tolerance for cold went way up once I started wearing them.

Reactions: MathDebater

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
so what r some good plug recs? i use doc pro plugs vented and take the leash off. lose maybe 1 plug every 1-2 years. both ears are 90%+ closed tho so maybe they're not really working. i like the vented ones since i can still hear my jacka$$ frens talking chit to me when surfing.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Both my 3/2s literally went to the landfill as they became unusable. I will need another 3/2 though eventually for when I take trips back down south to visit family and such. It's funny that I just got a board shaped for down here just a week before I officially got the job up north. Hoping it's ready before I do the final move up there in a couple weeks. The other 6'6" where I just had both fin boxes repaired a few weeks ago was well timed; it will come in handy for up there. Has a thick stringer too.

Interesting about the hood with plugs. Serious dilemma. My right ear has a bit of blockage to the point a Q-Tip has trouble getting around the corner; a carefully folded paper clip does the trick of cleaning out sand and then wrapping a bit of Kleenex around the end of the clip to absorb residual water after is effective. I know the cold water and wind won't help my cause but I tried plugs once and they completely threw off my equilibrium. A warm head would also be nice though too. :roflmao:

I just may have to go the XXL route if I partake too much in the craft beer up there. Not an implausible scenario. :beer:

Reactions: jkb and MathDebater

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Mac's silicon plugs. Like $5 for 3 pairs. Not hearing other people in the water is a feature not a bug.

I don't wear a hood unless I have to. Had one ear chipped out two years ago. Great doc, very easy procedure, was back in water in a week. Take the time and look for someone who prefers the chisel to the drill if possible. Less pain, shorter recovery, and better all around.

I do half alcohol/half white vinegar drops pretty religiously after a surf anyway. Keeps any water that did sneak in from becoming a fetid pool of infection in your sinuses.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
4/3 oniel hyperflex ziperless is comfy and warm. No fvcking way it lives more than one season, getting my shoulders through a neck hole over and over. Evey time is nervous.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
so what r some good plug recs? i use doc pro plugs vented and take the leash off. lose maybe 1 plug every 1-2 years. both ears are 90%+ closed tho so maybe they're not really working. i like the vented ones since i can still hear my jacka$$ frens talking chit to me when surfing.
Been using these for 15 years, and haven't had an ear infection in that time:

Tried Doc's and a ton of others before that, with little to some succes.

Reactions: Havoc and sdsrfr

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Both my 3/2s literally went to the landfill as they became unusable. I will need another 3/2 though eventually for when I take trips back down south to visit family and such. It's funny that I just got a board shaped for down here just a week before I officially got the job up north. Hoping it's ready before I do the final move up there in a couple weeks. The other 6'6" where I just had both fin boxes repaired a few weeks ago was well timed; it will come in handy for up there. Has a thick stringer too.

Interesting about the hood with plugs. Serious dilemma. My right ear has a bit of blockage to the point a Q-Tip has trouble getting around the corner; a carefully folded paper clip does the trick of cleaning out sand and then wrapping a bit of Kleenex around the end of the clip to absorb residual water after is effective. I know the cold water and wind won't help my cause but I tried plugs once and they completely threw off my equilibrium. A warm head would also be nice though too. :roflmao:

I just may have to go the XXL route if I partake too much in the craft beer up there. Not an implausible scenario. :beer:
Never use qtips in ears just packs wax and crap deeper so if you must use kleenex folded in cone. I love surfears but used surf docs for years just find surfears has better fit. +1 on hyperfreak I really like my 3mm front zip super flexible yet plenty warm here in 805.

Reactions: Havoc and daave

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
2nd for surfears. Expensive but like them more than others I’ve tried and won’t lose em.

I think surfer’s ear is much more of a cold/wind thing than just a water thing - so yes, I think the hood really helps. They say it’s the evaporative cooling from cold water/wind that really does the damage. A hood basically takes that all away.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Never use qtips in ears just packs wax and crap deeper so if you must use kleenex folded in cone. I love surfears but used surf docs for years just find surfears has better fit. +1 on hyperfreak I really like my 3mm front zip super flexible yet plenty warm here in 805.
The wax packing is only true if you clean your ears out once every two months and then try to go in there with a Q-Tip with zero finesse, just ramming it in there. If you have that much wax at that point, heat said paper clip and pull it out that way. But I am admittedly highly OCD about keeping my ears clean and I never allow any wax to get a foothold (earhold?) let alone accumulate. There is nothing natural about going to the doctor every six months for them to use Black Cats to rupture the wax loose - you don't want to be like Freakshow in Harold & Kumar.

• Haha
Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
2nd for surfears. Expensive but like them more than others I’ve tried and won’t lose em.

I think surfer’s ear is much more of a cold/wind thing than just a water thing - so yes, I think the hood really helps. They say it’s the evaporative cooling from cold water/wind that really does the damage. A hood basically takes that all away.
Great customer service as well make price worth it. A few months ago lost wing and tried to buy new one still on warranty under year. Surf ears sent me a whole new set I have saved.

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
You might be right but man, you wear a 4/3 in 62 degree water. :nana:

I admit, though, I still have flashbacks of that one offshore day at Kentoland-North where it was 35 degree air and 53 degree water. 3/2 and booties and oh man... ice cream headaches, crab claw hands, etc. The worst thing you can do is a hair-dry paddle out because it's a shock to your system when you're paddling into that first wave with the offshore wind whipping the water right into your face.
ahhhhh
had a session in oside like tha toe blustery jan morning. for some reason..only had boardshorts and a jacket. oh well...rum to the rescue!

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
ahhhhh
had a session in oside like tha toe blustery jan morning. for some reason..only had boardshorts and a jacket. oh well...rum to the rescue!
I foolishly trunked an evening sesh at Trestles when water was 59. Got myself in deep trouble as I was waiting for last wave in (you NEVER paddle in to end a session no matter what) as hypothermia symptoms were setting in fast, which actually made it harder to catch a wave. Quick downward spiral. I am always good for a cold beer after a session but my wife knew I was hurting when I actually requested hot semi-Irished up tea. :roflmao:

BTW, best post-cold water sesh meal of all time? Pho. Hands down.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
Kento you are in for a rude awakening.
A few days of 50 degree water and low 40s air temps with offshore winds, no way a 4/3 is going to cut it. 5/4 with hood and 5 mil boots.
50 degree water is a weird breakpoint. down to 50 youre all laadeedaa whatever. from 49.9 down i swear you notice every tenth of a degree

I dunno how someone wears a hood without plugs.
just ask around the line up if you want an answer. guys will look at you blankly, pull their hood back off their "good" ear and go... "what?"

Reactions: Aruka and Woke AF

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
When the Weather Channel is talking about "Polar Vortex" out East, our water will generally dip into the high 40s, along with air in the 20s/30s.

I got a removable hood and that's what most other people use - fully accessorized 3/2s.

Usually when it's that cold it's sunny and offshore, so unless it's a god-awful shitty day, like raining, but not quite cold enough for sleet/freezing rain, I only throw the hood up for duck diving. I fckng passionately hate having that thing messing with my balance/equilibrium.

Hoods = avocados
Gloves + booties = Quality pizza, Pastrami & Swiss on actual bread. Flour tortillas and shredded lettuce. Shrimp-n-Grits.

Deal with it.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
50 degree water is a weird breakpoint. down to 50 youre all laadeedaa whatever. from 49.9 down i swear you notice every tenth of a degree
Yeah, only surfed as low as 51 and that was cold to say the least.

I am really liking the idea of one of those St. Bernards on a board out the back with a tankard of brandy around its neck.

• Haha
Reactions: jkb

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
I foolishly trunked an evening sesh at Trestles when water was 59. Got myself in deep trouble as I was waiting for last wave in (you NEVER paddle in to end a session no matter what) as hypothermia symptoms were setting in fast, which actually made it harder to catch a wave. Quick downward spiral. I am always good for a cold beer after a session but my wife knew I was hurting when I actually requested hot semi-Irished up tea. :roflmao:

BTW, best post-cold water sesh meal of all time? Pho. Hands down.
There are a few good pho places in Santa Rosa and a few mediocre ones. Pho Vietnam in Stony Point Plaza is the cheap, fast, boiling hot option. Kettles Vietnam Bistro is a little more upscale. The other spots, especially Pho Crazy on 3d, are bland in comparison.

For the most part, you want the 4/3 to surf Salmon or the other beachbreaks and the 5/4 to venture north of Jenner. The northern Sonoma/southern Mendocino spots get long lulls in between sets and you tend to put long sessions in because it took you an hour or two to drive there in the first place. Also, you can get freezing conditions at any time. The most miserable session I had up there was at a southern Mendocino reefbreak - 47 degree water and it started hailing while we were in the lineup. It was in late June.