1/3 of Texas is without power right now...

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
D18C586E-C260-4E22-802B-93E2D0DE9B92.jpeg
My nephew’s street in NW Houston.

The Texas gulf coast bay system fish kill is gonna be biblical.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
"The Electric Reliability Council of Texas said the grid lost some 34,000 megawatts of power. Energy sources powering the grid were knocked offline, most of which were powered by natural gas, coal or nuclear energy, according to Houston Public Radio.

The state grid was already facing some shortages because of frozen wind turbines and limited gas supply."

Reactions: Aruka and mundus

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
"The Electric Reliability Council of Texas said the grid lost some 34,000 megawatts of power. Energy sources powering the grid were knocked offline, most of which were powered by natural gas, coal or nuclear energy, according to Houston Public Radio.

The state grid was already facing some shortages because of frozen wind turbines and limited gas supply."
There goes the narrative.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Fire up the solar panels and windmills.:loser:

They'll be fine.:bricks:
Cold weather plays havoc with everything. So many good things/ideas turn to crap when mom nature exceeds norms.

Drives up energy use/price, and interestingly enough is shutting down natural gas pipelines/wells, and by extension, anything that uses it as fuel.

News item.

The Electric Reliability Council of Texas, which oversees the state’s main power grid, warned of record power demand due to extreme temperatures. The average spot price for electricity in North Texas was $292.53 a megawatt-hour as of 10 a.m. local time, according to grid data complied by Bloomberg. That compares with an average of $17.83 so far this month.

Prices for gas, propane and heating oil, fuels used to heat homes, are also surging, and not just because of elevated demand. Temperatures are low enough to trigger so-called freeze-offs, when wells shut down because of liquids freezing inside pipelines. Texas facilities operated by pipeline companies DCP Midstream LP and Targa Resources Corp. were reported shut on Thursday due to the cold. Enbridge Inc. said it was limiting requests to transport gas on a pipeline stretching from Texas to New Jersey.

The impact on regional gas prices has been dramatic. The rate for next-day delivery at the Oneok hub, which hauls Oklahoma gas to networks serving the Midwest, closed at the highest since at least 1999 on Thursday. Gas futures climbed as much as 3.4% Friday.

My buddy outside of Portland has been without power for days now. Claiming they might not get it back on until Friday..??..They‘re calling it a historic ice storm.
My brother in Portland says it reminds him of the good ol' winter weather of our youth...we had a about 3 really bad ice storms from age 6 to 18.

Way back then, I specifically remember an instance of someone slipping on the ice, conking their head, and being found the next day dead, encased in ice.

My sister in Denton Country, north of Dallas, Texas, says the cold is terrible. Lost power for a while, but got it back after a few hours. Brother-in-law works for a fuel (diesel mainly) delivery and service company. Says there have been problems with the stuff turning to jello....."I'll have some extra spring business repairing pumps this year."

PS

A retired friend moved to Vancouver, Washington, a few years back. He grew up in San Pedro, then after tiring of San Clemente while working at the nuke plant, moved up to SF, and then 30 years later, moved to great NW.

He has asked me about the weather, and prior to the retirement move, went up to Portland/Vancouver during winter to see how it was....he did this twice and lucked in great weather both times, so he had this idea it wouldn't be colder than the Bay Area.

So winter of 2018/2019 (colder winter than the 2017/2018 winter which was very wet), comes alone and he gets a a case of Raynaud's (white fingers in cold weather). The prescription is, and I laugh whenever I think of this, is erection dysfunction pills. Yeppers, boner pills to open up the small capillaries in his hands.

Later I find out from his wife that he hadn't been wearing gloves or a warm hat....his usual baseball cap just wasn't up to the job. :p

Last edited:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Oh no, not our Ted Cruz!

Someone should have told him and all politicians like him (trying to score points) that what goes around comes around.

1613500637188.png
1613500668135.png

PS
My power in SF was out this Saturday past from 11 AM to 8 PM because PG&E was replacing two telephone poles. A bit of proactive maintenance from PG&E is a welcome change from the past behavior.

PPS

I bet those people who GTFO'd of CA and moved to Texas are laughing now
You may get a chuckle out of this.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
"Blackouts in Texas are not caused by the "damn green windmills freezing", it's TX Republican policies that are to blame:
The deregulated #Texas energy grid and Electric Reliability Council of Texas, a 501(c)4 entity with board members from the energy industry, have created a completely avoidable energy crisis with over 4 million left without power in single digit weather while empty offices burn energy in the big city downtowns. "

151240907_10158299165216275_3712943344006515685_n.png

Reactions: Aruka and sizzld1

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
There's a cleaner power source that could solve all of this AND have the reserve raw material supply on hand at all times....

• Haha
Reactions: manbearpig

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I'm with ifallalot on this one. Assuming he means nuclear. People aren't going to be less convenient or comfortable. Not enough people, tangibly speaking, give a f--k that the Orcas are going to eat all the Narwhal as the Orca range expands North.

Put the nuclear energy in the safest place you can manage. Everywhere gets tornadoes sooner or later, but not every tornado is an F5, and there's plenty of places that aren't YUGE hurricane/tsunami risks, and aren't on fault lines.