1/3 of Texas is without power right now...

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
It sounds like Texas didn't engineer for a "Design Day" as low as their temperatures are right now. Low temperatures and fuel gasses can be a problem as I found out myself.

Here in NY 35 miles North of the Bronx sometimes we lose power for a week after a storm. I have an electric oven, a natural gas boiler, a wood fireplace and a portable 5500 watt 220v generator. If the gas or the boiler goes out I can heat the house with the oven set to 220 and the door at the semi-open broiler position. If the power goes out I can power the whole house easily with the generator but selectively turn on large loads like just the microwave or a blow drier or the toaster oven. If it all goes out I can keep the living room at 55 and the bedrooms at 45 with the fireplace (ask me how I know) but there are some radiation pipes in an overhang that would probably freeze after a couple of days in the teens like that.

Gasses and cold - in NY the natural gas lines are all buried, it just comes out of the ground at the outdoor meter. I had to run on a small temporary outdoor propane tank part of one winter while I was converting from fuel oil to gas. Early one morning it was 12 degrees out and the boiler had shut down on low propane pressure but the tank still had at least 1/3 of the propane left - I realized that it didn't want to be a gas so much when it was so cold. So I put a 500 watt work light under a plastic milk crate , the propane tank on top of that then a plastic trash can (with a hole in the top and bottom to ventilate any possible gas buildup) over the whole thing to keep the tank warm. Nice!

The next morning - no heat again - the propane regulator had frozen - I guess I made the propane do something it didn't want to do when I heated it so when it hit the cold regulator the water in the propane froze or something. So I made a little enclosure around the regulator and put a droplight in there which worked. After the conversion I ran a natural gas line to the patio for my generator (which I converted to gas) and my BBQ. Whoa - that BBQ is now as hot if it's 12 degrees out as it is at 90. I always thought that the BBQ didn't do as well in the winter because of heat loss - now I think it was low Propane pressure.

Reactions: Mr Doof and mundus

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Helicopter powered by petroleum spraying chemicals onto windmills. In my neck of the woods they are about to erect a bunch of windmills 15 miles off the beach. An incredibly dumb idea.

This seems like a colossal waste of time/money. Would love to see the financials for the cost of this operation and energy produced.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
This seems like a colossal waste of time/money. Would love to see the financials for the cost of this operation and energy produced.
It is. There is no viable alternative to oil but nuke. The new nukes are a lot safer, but everyone's scared. I hope we don't run out of oil or its assless chaps for everyone.

• Haha
Reactions: Woke AF and r32

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
It is. There is no viable alternative to oil but nuke. The new nukes are a lot safer, but everyone's scared. I hope we don't run out of oil or its assless chaps for everyone.
You should qualify that by a time frame, if I were to throw out a number I’d say 15 years with luck.

How’s that refurbishment of the obsolete transmission system that caused the fires in California last year coming along? Hopefully ready by next fire season?

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
You should qualify that by a time frame, if I were to throw out a number I’d say 15 years with luck.
I love your optimism. Much of NorCal is without power often now.

How’s that refurbishment of the obsolete transmission system that caused the fires in California last year coming along? Hopefully ready by next fire season?
I'm not a power engineer, but I'm told we can't bury the lines because high power AC transmission requires the huge capacitance between the high line and the ground to minimize the line resistance. Think of it as a blocking capacitor. I'll look this up further.

Edit: it forms a shunt admittance with the conductance of the lines. This explanation is about the line-line capacitance and the capacitance to a neutral point or ground:
The capacitance of the line is proportional to the length of the transmission line. Their effect is negligible on the performance of short (having a length less than 80 km) and low voltage transmission line. In the case of high voltage and long lines, it is considered as one of the most important parameters.
1613581431750.png

Make the distance D almost zero for a buried cable and make r 3 cm. If the cable is 50 meters high, the ln (D/r) term is about 7. If the cable is buried, the term goes to zero and the neutral capacitance becomes huge. I'm not sure what this means. Maybe that you're going to store a ton of charge in the line rather than deliver it to the load:

Anyways, I don't blame the power company for the fires. We should've been doing brush mitigation and fire break cutting for the past 30 years. Power line breaks are inevitable, and lightning caused the latest round. They have to mitigate the brush. It's another thing we can't do right.

Last edited:

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
Reactions: Mr Doof

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
My father was a nuclear engineer many decades ago. He spent most of his career working with the NRC on regulatory matters and ultimately was a US representative on the International Atomic Energy Commission. He lamented the political climate at that time ('70's, '80's) which prevented further nuclear development in the US and predicted that it would cost us big time. Now, to try to ramp up nuclear and construct more plants would be a decades long task. The regulatory environment in the US, which has such strict safety and engineering standards and redundancies, makes plant development extremely difficult and incredibly costly. While the strict safety standards are a good thing, I know that by the time he retired, he was on record saying that power companies wouldn't invest in nuclear because it wasn't cost effective and the regulatory environment was too onerous. So far he has been proven correct.

The only way I see nuclear being further developed here is for the government to get involved to make it feasible, and I doubt our current political climate will allow that to happen.