1/3 of Texas is without power right now...

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
What is the difference of a Blackout or Brownout? Honest question.
A brownout, sometimes also called a ‘sag’, is a "dip" in the voltage level of the electrical line. When a brownout occurs, the voltage drops from its normal level to a lower voltage and then returns.

A blackout is complete power outage.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
A brownout, sometimes also called a ‘sag’, is a "dip" in the voltage level of the electrical line. When a brownout occurs, the voltage drops from its normal level to a lower voltage and then returns.

Very good to know. I never knew the difference even though I probably could have used the google.
Thank you sir for the explanation! (y)

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Los Angeles has no problem keeping power on. Why is that?
LADWP owns it's own generation, transmission, and distribution. They are completely independent of CAISO. They do not depend on SCE or PG&E (investor owned utilities) transmission, which is for better or worse controlled by the state (CAISO).

That said, LADWP has its shares of outages as well.

Reactions: npsp and keenfish

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER

To the consumer brownouts are indistinguishable from blackouts. When the voltage sags substations open their breakers and close them once the voltage returns to normal. This can happen in a second. If it happens a number of time is a utility defined time period the breakers will remain open until manually closed.

Reactions: keenfish and r32

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
LADWP owns it's own generation, transmission, and distribution. They are completely independent of CAISO. They do not depend on SCE or PG&E (investor owned utilities) transmission, which is for better or worse controlled by the state (CAISO).

That said, LADWP has its shares of outages as well.

Yes I know it’s independent from the rest of the system. In 2.5 years in LA I have not experienced a single black-out. Possibly a momentary brown-out, like it literally lasted a few minutes and was very localized. Like I could see lights on a few blocks away

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
During storms here in New York I've seen our power go out just briefly, a couple of seconds then come back and I always wondered what did that. I was looking out the window one day during a rain storm and could see the transformer on the pole in my front yard out of the corner of my eye. There was a lightning flash close by but not at the pole - I couldn't see the lightning itself - just the general brightening of the scene. I heard a loud pop and saw smoke at the transformer. After the storm I went out and saw on the ground part of a porcelain insulator with a heavy wire attached. I realized that it was not an insulator but a surge suppressor / lightning arrester. I could see how it was originally up on the pole connected from the high voltage line which feeds the transformer and the ground wire running down the pole into the earth. I think that the lightning hit the high voltage line and as the line's voltage increased suddenly it went beyond the suppressor / arrester's threshold and was then conducted or shorted to earth ground thus protecting the rest of the system from the over voltage caused by the lightning strike (and also causing my momentary loss of power). The suppressor / arrester sacrificed itself in the process.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Texas is Republican governance in action, massively corrupt and incompetent, The serving AG is under indictment FFS.

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
everyone was asking me if I had work today. I thought I must have missed a holiday for black history month or something... they meant the freeze... lol it won't freeze here until tonight and barely

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
70,000 without power, heck of a job! Ted Cruz is on his way to Cancun as we speak.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Dont they have a bunch of those cyrpto farms sucking up a bunch of available power as well?
No one with a brain is mining crypto using utility power. Demand charges will eat your lunch. It's all being done using production gas and onsite generation. The going rate for production fuel is about 1.50/mmbtu.