“Buy a house at the beach!” They said. “Build equity! Score a ton of surf!”

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
Selling that Peloton :jamon:should put a good dent in your deductible but I digress:

That little bitch spun up from a rank and file, "Oh no big deal" TS to a fairly strong CAT 1 right off my doorstep and had me and the untested brand new home I just built honestly a bit sketched. I hate hurricanes at night and even more so ones that don't do what they're supposed to.

Damn you again, Cantore Curse.
Damn you.
I want pictures of your work

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I saw lots of nails, but we also saw a bunch of loose ones or partially yanked...30 years on a really windy barrier island

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
So the power went out last night, blown transformer nearby, just got it back a couple hours ago. The roofer I called during the storm showed up first thing as promised. Insurance notified and everything documented. Roofer got one of his teams to tarp the exposed section and remove the damage. he Thinks insurance will call for new roof without a doubt, and he said I was the first storm call in, so I go first, and he said he’s now booked for the rest of the year, just from the calls he got in the last 12 hours. I may not know fukk all about handymanning but dammit if I can’t Angies list and outsource like a sumbitch. Maybe have him drop a little sun deck up there with a spiral staircase from the yoga studio. Replace the bathroom skylight lol.. slow grilled some kick ass ribs, and got a contract. Just another day at the beach. Oh and we got the puppy a haircut
hope you got a good one - some of these guys are like vultures after a storm. the first roofer we got out here after Florence was all sweetness and can-do, and promised us the moon...but he wanted us to sign off on a doc that said he would receive "insurance proceeds", which we interpreted to mean he was going to find sixteen ways to milk our insurance policy. we could never get him to actually give us a quote on the cost of the roof and after repeated phone calls, gave up on him. good thing, he was indicted last year on various consumer fraud charges. watch your back and check their reviews.

Reactions: everysurfer

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yeah this company had tons of good reviews on Angies. I know how to nag and manage and oversee. Especially being home full time. I got a head start on the insurance claim too so yeah I’ll be involved in that process too

Reactions: keenfish

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I have a question though for the erBB brain trust. When the high winds hit us and damaged my roof, the storm was no longer a hurricane and had not been for awhile. so when i was filling out the initial claim thing with my insurance company, the online form asked very specifically "was this Hurricane Damage?" it didn't say "Tropical System" or "Named Storm" it just asked "Hurricane" so strictly speaking, it was not a hurricane when it hit us. Is this something that could bite me in the ass? is it better for the home owner when it IS categorized as a Hurricane, even if it wasn't a hurricane anymore?

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
I'm not an expert, and you're not expected to be a meteorologist either. I'd say yes, and if there is a problem later, just say oopsie, it used to be a hurricane. I think the question is more statistical than anything else
It was a hurricane at some point. Let the experts tell you. Ignorance is bliss.

What was “superstorm” Sandy?

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
ok yeah, and i'll mention it today when i call my broker again. i think the distinction is more important for the actual underwriters and how they handle all the charge offs and accounting.

Also, i know we're supposed to be skeptical of roofers in the immediate aftermath of a storm, but i'll be damned if he didn't get a crew here at 6 pm last night to tarp my roof, and sure enough, it just started pouring. wasn't supposed to rain until tomorrow.

Last edited:
Reactions: the janitor

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
ok yeah, and i'll mention it today when i call my broker again. i think the distinction is more important for the actual underwriters and how they handle all the charge offs and accounting.
If your policy calls out hurricanes in any way, you should know that
read your policy

Reactions: everysurfer

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
I have a question though for the erBB brain trust. When the high winds hit us and damaged my roof, the storm was no longer a hurricane and had not been for awhile. so when i was filling out the initial claim thing with my insurance company, the online form asked very specifically "was this Hurricane Damage?" it didn't say "Tropical System" or "Named Storm" it just asked "Hurricane" so strictly speaking, it was not a hurricane when it hit us. Is this something that could bite me in the ass? is it better for the home owner when it IS categorized as a Hurricane, even if it wasn't a hurricane anymore?
i would say yes and i don't think it matters, as long as it was a named storm.