“Buy a house at the beach!” They said. “Build equity! Score a ton of surf!”

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Part of it. I think it’s just the asphalt covering, whatever that’s called. I don’t know, I’ll climb up there tomorrow after dawn patrol and see what I can do with some duct tape, chewing gum, bong resin, and some elbow grease

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
We got beat up on a different part of the island. So many big trees down, I think after the drought we had and then these heavy winds it was a perfect recipe.

Couldn’t even get to my parents place due to a tree down on one side and a live wire on the other (luckily they’re not there) and my one rental had the power drop ripped out from a tall skinny tree that is currently hanging by a guy wire. That too is luckily vacant as the tenant is out of town for the foreseeable future. I live on a small peninsula and every route imaginable was blocked off from downed trees. A 10min drive into town took an hour of weaving and backtracking. No power at my apartment, probably won’t get any for a few days.

I’m golden as I’ll make some extra money on the side doing storm damage work but my lady stuck at the house might lose it as she works online right now.

McHatin

Nep status
Apr 11, 2010
I live in hurricane alley, less than half a mile from the sand. I’m always scared that my roof will blow away someday. I do score a lot of surf though

Reactions: john4surf

elcalvo

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2004
NE
And then 2020 comes along

View attachment 95795
Can't see the whole house, but if it would work with the architecture, think about putting some pitch on that flat roof. Since you'll be working on it anyway, it wouldn't cost much to install some rafters and plywood over what is there.
Hope the waves there are better than what we have up north from you.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
And then 2020 comes along

View attachment 95795
Did you paint your door?

I had a good sized tree limb come down in my yard
it took out part of the fence around my pool
it came within less than an inch of the pool itself, and would’ve been a huge cost if it had

upside was I got a new toy for myself - chainsawed the sh*t out of that limb - kinda fun!

• Haha
Reactions: PJ and Subway

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Part of it. I think it’s just the asphalt covering, whatever that’s called. I don’t know, I’ll climb up there tomorrow after dawn patrol and see what I can do with some duct tape, chewing gum, bong resin, and some elbow grease
aawwwww man! Sorry to see Simon. I hope Alex wasn't too spooked out on the wind.Get some blue tarps over any opening on your roof. 1 x 2's over the tarp, cut the wood to size, stretch the tarp out and nail it down (the tarp over the opening) until you can get it repaired.

If you're going to drive, Nails on the road will be "thee obstacles" to avoid. Tire plugs become a premium item and air pump. Is there power, in your neighborhood? Gas bbq for hot water & coffee.

Be vigilant. Stay safe. Hug Your Wahine. You'll get through this. Wear a mask.
COVID is still hanging around.
:love::love: ...you Two!

Reactions: PJ

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
If you still have water, it may be a good idea to fill your bath tub in the event of water shut-off during repairs in the community. We survived Hurricane Donna in 1960 (lived about 300 yards from the beach) but potable water became problematic (well before the plastic bottled water industry and McD’s were 15 cents, cheeseburgers 20 cents).