Dog lovers - i get it now

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
It’s not a wild assertion there are rescues that specialize in importing dogs from Latin America and as far away as Asia.

I know multiple people who’ve rescued dogs from Korea and Mexico. Again their dogs are great and they’ve given them loving homes which I can’t really knock. But it’s also difficult not to see that we’re importing dogs here when we still have a big problem of our own when shelters across the country are at capacity and putting dogs down every day. I guess I just feel like we should work on our local problems before we start looking elsewhere. Obv if you’re in Nicaragua and you rescue Nicaraguan strays you’re doing it local. Good on you and I apologize if that post felt pointed at you.

I should also point out that not all rescued dogs are success stories. Many are returned to rescue orgs cause they don’t work out or the humans change their mind and also many end up back in other shelters. I really can’t help but question any organization that thinks they’re doing good by adding dogs from elsewhere to our already strained system. I guess it’s a different thing if you bond with a dog on a Mexican beach and bring it back yourself.
No worries ... its all good! I remember one of the problems Mrs. Flyinraptr and I encountered when we rescued cats/dogs while we were still in the US .... was dealing with some of the rescue organizations. Obviously - there are organizations doing really good things but some of the ones we encountered made it extremely difficult - to get approval .... they're reasoning was they didn't want to see the animal fall into a bad situation for possibly a second time. But in being so strict with requirements they turned away people who despite not meeting their criteria could have provided a good home to a needy dog. The best thing about the point you're making is bringing awareness .... the more people who adopt a dog in need regardless of location and the less number of people buying animals from pet stores or breeders the better.

Reactions: john4surf

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Which is exactly why you should rescue one locally. I don't know where you live but I can assure you there are plenty in your area that need good homes.
I can assure you that you have no idea what you’re spouting off about.

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
I had a dog lose one of his pads once .... samething grew back .... might want to wrap it to keep him from licking it and getting it infected until the wound closes up.
@estreet -

One of our dogs has a hotspot on her right leg that she will NOT leave alone. I found these neoprene/fabric "sleeves" that can be used on either leg, and it wraps around her body and velcro's at the top. Works perfectly. I'm sure they have them with the "feet/socks" included to for injuries on the feet.

She doesn't seem to mind it at all, in fact I think she kinda likes the soft neoprene wrap around her body. Kind of like one of those "anti-anxiety" vests.

Silly picture, but it's the only one I have where you can see the sleeve.

PXL_20240305_053145689~2.jpg

Last edited:

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
@estreet -

One of our dogs has a hotspot on her right leg that she will NOT leave alone. I found these neoprene/fabric "sleeves" that can be used on either leg, and it wraps around her body and velcro's at the top. Works perfectly. I'm sure they have them with the "feet/socks" included to for injuries on the feet.

She doesn't seem to mind it at all, in face I think she kinda likes the soft neoprene wrap around her body. Kind of like one of those "anti-anxiety" vests.

Silly picture, but it's the only one I have where you can see the sleeve.

View attachment 175236
Nice! I didn't know they had those. Looking online, they've got boots too. Thanks.

Screenshot 2024-03-14 at 3.25.05 PM.png

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Grew up with a variety of Shepherd mutts. All of them great. It was a very sad day when our last (before I moved out) 'pound puppy' started walking into doors and wetting himself and then hiding in the fireplace in shame/embarrassment . RIP dogs that you grow up with.

PS
I don't think our pets dying fully prepared me for people dying. It all sucked.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Judging by the way he has been reacting to things I think probably he was a crate/condo dog before we adopted him. Having fun introducing him to the world. Backpacking is really going to bake his noodle.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Dog ownership is great but there is a dark side that I call tragedy of the dog sh!t commons

It smell like urine in front of my house from all the people walking their dogs.

Never forget!

And no dogs in Lowes.