Dog lovers - i get it now

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
friends/mex property owners had an akita. super nice to us but pretty much ate my sisters dog. thanks to mex vets for putting her back together for cheap

Reactions: Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Yup. He was a lean 125. Moved like an 80 pound dog. Alpha as fuck. Pretty much divided the world into friends/family and good-for-killing. Super gentle with the kids. I’d love another one but it’s a lot of liability. Zero mistakes.
I've never owned one but somehow I have a lot of Akita stories.

When I lived in Bend I had a friend with one. He was a big, lanky male. Super sweet dog. When the dog was a puppy my friend brought him by my house after a good dumping of snow. We had some friends over and we had big snowboard ramps built in the back yard and the dog got the zoomies and was running up and down the ramps and around in circles, having the time of his life in the snow while we drank beers and egged him on.

Every time after that when there was a big snow the dog would escape and show up at our house. It became kind of a running joke. My friend tried everything to secure his back yard but the dog was an escape artist.

My neighbors Akitas are more like yours which I think is more the norm for the breed. Protective and aloof with strangers. Their pure white female escaped their fenced enclosure one morning, came through my yard, killed one of my ducks and it was chasing the rest of the flock around. I didn't think, I just ran out there in my slippers to chase it off but when I got close it turned around to face me and I realized that this dog was not at all afraid of me. I liked those ducks but I wasn't trying to get my ass chewed off so I went back inside for some boots and a shovel but thankfully the dog was gone when I came back out.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
I've had two interactions with Akitas'.
I dog walked one for a semester in undergrad school. Easy because he led and I was fine with following what he wanted to do for an hr for $30.

The second was in Japan. The guy we were staying with had a tall, not hefty one. I asked if it was ok to pet him. He shrugged and said he doesn't really like people, but it should be ok. I took it really slow, offered the back of my hand to sniff, approached from the side, and rubbed his chest for maybe 15 seconds'. He had enough of that and spun in a circle and took a chunk of my pants and inner thigh. I pull my leg out of his mouth, and he spun again, missing my other leg but ripping off the pant leg.

The violence of it was shocking but not a super bad wound or painful, but the guy insisted we go to the doctor. The dr. said there is no rabies in Japan, so he put a patch on the hole in my leg, and it cost me $25. For about a year, an anxious fear crept into my consciousness when around certain dogs. Big or small, it didn't matter. This mini puddle would pick up on it and charge me, so weird.

The next few days staying there, the dog from 20ft away would not take his eyes off of me, just a dead stare that followed me around the room:roflmao::drowning:

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
I've had two interactions with Akitas'.
I dog walked one for a semester in undergrad school. Easy because he led and I was fine with following what he wanted to do for an hr for $30.

The second was in Japan. The guy we were staying with had a tall, not hefty one. I asked if it was ok to pet him. He shrugged and said he doesn't really like people, but it should be ok. I took it really slow, offered the back of my hand to sniff, approached from the side, and rubbed his chest for maybe 15 seconds'. He had enough of that and spun in a circle and took a chunk of my pants and inner thigh. I pull my leg out of his mouth, and he spun again, missing my other leg but ripping off the pant leg.

The violence of it was shocking but not a super bad wound or painful, but the guy insisted we go to the doctor. The dr. said there is no rabies in Japan, so he put a patch on the hole in my leg, and it cost me $25. For about a year, an anxious fear crept into my consciousness when around certain dogs. Big or small, it didn't matter. This mini puddle would pick up on it and charge me, so weird.

The next few days staying there, the dog from 20ft away would not take his eyes off of me, just a dead stare that followed me around the room:roflmao::drowning:
When we were at the "shelter" to get Panda, my son was playing with a dog that was there, not too small, not huge either. I think my kid probably touched the dog somewhere that was hurting for some reason, the dog bit his hand bad. one single bite... 2 punctures.

We had an appointment, said the dog who bit him had all of his shots. Doctor said that in order for my son not have to get a rabies shot (no one likes a few shots in the stomach) we would need to be able to monitor the dog for 10 days. Like, if for some reason the dog escaped or died within those 10 days, my son would have to get those rabies shots (it's not just one you know, you have to come back a few times for more torture).

Everything ended up ok. Many lessons were learnt too by all involved.

IMG_5470.jpeg

Could never get both punctures in the shot. Poor kid, it looked like it hurt like hell...

• Wow
Reactions: john4surf

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
@john4surf

Why the thumbs down?

Screenshot 2024-04-29 at 5.32.23 PM.png

I posted the AI rendition of the rescue in the hope that it would inspire Sharky to tell the tale. Who doesn't love a good doggy-saves-kid story? His prerogative of course. My only regret is not adding "black and white" before pitfall in the AI prompt so that it would more closely resemble Bert.

Reactions: john4surf

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
@john4surf

Why the thumbs down?

View attachment 179192

I posted the AI rendition of the rescue in the hope that it would inspire Sharky to tell the tale. Who doesn't love a good doggy-saves-kid story? His prerogative of course. My only regret is not adding "black and white" before pitfall in the AI prompt so that it would more closely resemble Bert.
It's all fun and giggles until a T-800 comes from the future to murder John Connor. You've been warned!

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
late this afternoon I was mowing my lawn and I heard someone talking to me. Took off my headphones and turned around and there was a guy standing there with a little ragamuffin of a white dog at his feet. He basically foisted this dog on me. Said he worked at the bodega around the corner and she walked in two days ago and his wife was making him get rid of her. The dog had a really tight tag around its neck from a vet or a shelter. So I went inside to get scissors to cut off the tag and when I came out the dog was sitting on my lawn and the guy was gone.
IMG_3247.jpeg

So off I went with her in my car to the emergency vet that I know all too well from when Pickle first got diagnosed with lymphoma. They were kind enough to scan her for a chip which she of course didn’t have.

So I guess I’m stuck with her now. I took her home with the plan of pulling the baby gate out of the garage and penning her off in the kitchen laundry room. That didn’t work cause this lil dog has legs and immediately jumped over the gate.

Anyway I cleaned her up, gave her a warm bath, trimmed around her eyes and cut what I’m pretty sure was chewing gum out of her chest and leg hair.

She’s incredibly sweet and docile. The only problem is she has an incredible issue with separation anxiety. Instant crying if I leave the room. She already won the battle and made her way into my bed wedging herself into my armpit.

IMG_3255.jpeg

The goal as always is to find her home assuming she has a loving one. But I’d be lying if I said it doesn’t feel like this dog found me.

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
to be honest I think I intended a thumbs up but was on my iPhone. Rad photo for sure, apologies, going to try and edit my response now! John with the fat thumbs
@john4surf

Why the thumbs down?

View attachment 179192

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
lol. She's yours. Hopefully over time she will realize she's not taking a ride to the gravel pit and relax. Good luck!
She slept through the night in my bed with no problem. Pretty much clinging to me the entire time. After just about 24hrs with her I’ve made the following observations…

-She’s housebroken. No accidents.

-I’m guessing she’s roughly a year or so old give or take. She still has those sharp puppy teeth.

-She’s spayed. She has a tattoo and a visible scar. Which means that if she’s actually a year or less old she’s likely up to date on vaccines.

-She’s extremely docile. Laid on her back while I cut matted hair and bubble gum out of her legs and chest for hours without flinching.

-I talked to my groomer and have an appointment for her to get a full service treatment on Saturday from tooth brushing to anal gland expressing. She’ll prob get a puppy cut due to the matting but it’ll be a good new start for her. If no owner comes forward next week we’ll take her to the vet for a physical.

GF gets back from DC tomorrow and it’s clear she fully intends to keep her. I’m still pushing for our friends down the street to take her with the stipulation that we will always be eager and happy to dog sit for them.

IMG_3269.jpeg