Dog lovers - i get it now

Hump

Phil Edwards status
Jan 10, 2002
Vancouver Island
My neighbors and good friends lost their dog yesterday morning.
She was 11 years old and every test on her showed good, except for her lungs.
She had lung cancer and succumbed to it quite quickly.
Here she is in 2013 just after Glenn and his wife got her.
DSCN1333.JPG

And here she is in the most common posture adopted by dogs walking on the Tyee Spit, waiting for Cal to give her a treat.
I talked with Glenn earlier today and he said Joanne is still heartbroken and very weepy.

DSCN1279.JPG

R.I.P. Kia.

Take care.

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
Someone said in a previous comment that Mexican rescues "Have their issues", and unfortunately, I think that's true. We adopted our first dog(black lab mix) from a rescue based in Mexico. She(Lucy) was the most awesome dog, and was with our two daughters for 8 years before she got cancer and left us way too early....

I laid down with Lucy on the floor of the vet when they put her down and cried for at least 2 hours.....Still think about her almost every day.

A year or so before that we adopted another dog(Daisy) from a Mexican rescue to be with Lucy and keep her company(pre-covid, we both worked in an office fulltime). She's now 6 years old, and has a horrible issue with her skin. In the past 2 years, we've spent upwards of $15k on removing lesions and Mast cell tumors from her body.

Like we did before, we thought that Daisy missed her "sister", so we adopted another Mexican rescue(Piper), and they are basically joined at the hip. We will do whatever we can to prolong Daisy's life, but man..... When that time comes, it's going to be SOOOO hard on me, and in my mind, harder on her "sister"(Piper). Uggh....

In my heart, I know that they are "living the life", being able to explore the beach everyday here in San Diego, but losing a dog is the same(for me) as losing a family member.

All that being said, I can't imagine life without any one of them.

Lucy
00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20171124143547690_COVER.jpg

Daisy
PXL_20240115_005008315.PORTRAIT (1).jpg

Piper
PXL_20240106_194338692.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
The problem with a dog is you get attached and they die in 12 years.

That is a lot of grief if you keep getting knew dogs.

I guess it prepares you for when your parents die.

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Great thread! One of the first things you have to get used to traveling or living in Central America is seeing animals in dire condition and needing to be rescued. When we used to visit Nicaragua before moving here ... the first stop from the airport was always a grocery store where Mrs. Flyinraptr would load up with bologna and hot dogs. While doing the 2 hour drive to Colordo's ... i would have to slow down whenever she saw a dog on the side of the road so she could toss some food to them. I used to tell her that she should only get the hot dogs ... more aerodynamic. When we got to our destination ... she made friends with this one particular stray dog who lived on the beach ... we learned her name was Cleo. By the end of our trip ... Cleo would be sleeping in the place we were staying .... of course ... having to leave her when the trip was over was always a heartbreaker. So we made a promise that we would either try to get her to the US or if we moved to Nica we would find her and adopt her. As it turns out we moved to Nica ... and the first thing Mrs. Flyinraptr did was set in search for her .... we ended up finding her fairly quickly but she was not in a good way .... suffering from a tick disease .... she was close to dying. Luckily .... we were able to save her and she became part of our family. Five years later .... she develops a kidney disease ... basically her kidneys were failing from years of living as a stray. We started giving her IVs and extended her life for almost another year before she passed a few months ago.
Cleo ..
422169712_688903713404825_9203443952453810224_n.png

One night Mrs. Flyinraptr and i were eating in a sushi restaurant ... we knew the owner .... and while we were eating this stray dog kept trying to sneak into the restaurant and our friend would shoo him away. Eventually, when our friend went back into the kitchen this dog quickly came into the restaurant and hid under the table we were sitting at while we were eating. Our friend came back out to check on us and we could tell he was looking around to see if the dog came back ... we both shrugged out shoulders and said we thought the dog left. When we finished .... and got back to our car the dog followed us out to the parking lot with these huge ears, sad eyes and basically skin on bones body. Mrs. Flyinraptr gave me this look and i knew what it meant and just said go get her. She has been with us ever since ... we named her Sally ... after Sally Fields ... her character in the old tv series "The Flying Nun". She is the alpha of the house and a great watch dog.
Sally ...
20210603_061205_HDR.jpg

One day we got a call from a friend who built a Vet hospital up in the Popoyo area ... a Nica family had a dog that could not walk and basically didn't have the resources to care for him .... and if asked if there was anything we could do to help. We had already been helping this family out by donating dog food to them on a monthly basis. We volunteered to take him in .... long story short we found that he had a broken back .... and through a little investigating learned or suspected that the family was letting their kids ride him like a horse. After a few months of rehab ... we got to the point where he was able to stand up and walk. After learning this ... the family said they now wanted him back .... we politely told them no ... he was with us now. He has now regained full mobility and is part of our family.
Congo ...
20220906_063653.jpg

In our neighborhood ... there was a Nica family that was caretaking a house .... we would see them when we walked our dogs ... they had a couple of young dogs ... and we helped them out with getting them spayed and neutered and with food as well ..... but we started to notice a pattern ... that the dogs would suddenly disappear and they would not have any idea of what happened to them. We suspected they were raising bait dogs for dog fighting. Anyway ... they had this one dog ... a puppy that they kept tied to a tree in the front yard. She would periodically get loose and come over to our house and sneak under our gate and want to play with our dogs. Eventually ... this family got booted and from what we could tell abandoned the puppy .... as she showed up in our yard one day with the rope still tied around her neck ... she managed to chew her way loose and appeared to be starving. So .... we adopted another Nica dog and named her Roxy.
Roxy ..
20231027_095545.jpg

When we moved to Nica ... we originally brought our two golden retrievers with us Wilson and Annie. About a year after moving her we lost Wilson to a tick disease that a Vet in Managua had misdiagnosed. We still have Annie ... she is 11 1/2 yrs old now .... still pretty spunky ... can't keep her out of the pool.
Annie..
20231119_131116 (1).jpg

Attachments

Sniper

OTF status
Jul 25, 2017
My dog, who is the name and picture of my avatar, is 16. Never thought a pure bred pit bull could ever live longer than about 12. He has lost all of his steam, but still limps around the block and likes to look out at the ocean. I figure he only has a year or so left, but still eats a lot and doesn’t have any massive health problems. I have cooked his food for about the last 12 years so I think that is the main reason he is still around.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Great thread! One of the first things you have to get used to traveling or living in Central America is seeing animals in dire condition and needing to be rescued. When we used to visit Nicaragua before moving here ... the first stop from the airport was always a grocery store where Mrs. Flyinraptr would load up with bologna and hot dogs. While doing the 2 hour drive to Colordo's ... i would have to slow down whenever she saw a dog on the side of the road so she could toss some food to them. I used to tell her that she should only get the hot dogs ... more aerodynamic. When we got to our destination ... she made friends with this one particular stray dog who lived on the beach ... we learned her name was Cleo. By the end of our trip ... Cleo would be sleeping in the place we were staying .... of course ... having to leave her when the trip was over was always a heartbreaker. So we made a promise that we would either try to get her to the US or if we moved to Nica we would find her and adopt her. As it turns out we moved to Nica ... and the first thing Mrs. Flyinraptr did was set in search for her .... we ended up finding her fairly quickly but she was not in a good way .... suffering from a tick disease .... she was close to dying. Luckily .... we were able to save her and she became part of our family. Five years later .... she develops a kidney disease ... basically her kidneys were failing from years of living as a stray. We started giving her IVs and extended her life for almost another year before she passed a few months ago.
Cleo ..
View attachment 171746

One night Mrs. Flyinraptr and i were eating in a sushi restaurant ... we knew the owner .... and while we were eating this stray dog kept trying to sneak into the restaurant and our friend would shoo him away. Eventually, when our friend went back into the kitchen this dog quickly came into the restaurant and hid under the table we were sitting at while we were eating. Our friend came back out to check on us and we could tell he was looking around to see if the dog came back ... we both shrugged out shoulders and said we thought the dog left. When we finished .... and got back to our car the dog followed us out to the parking lot with these huge ears, sad eyes and basically skin on bones body. Mrs. Flyinraptr gave me this look and i knew what it meant and just said go get her. She has been with us ever since ... we named her Sally ... after Sally Fields ... her character in the old tv series "The Flying Nun". She is the alpha of the house and a great watch dog.
Sally ...
View attachment 171750

One day we got a call from a friend who built a Vet hospital up in the Popoyo area ... a Nica family had a dog that could not walk and basically didn't have the resources to care for him .... and if asked if there was anything we could do to help. We had already been helping this family out by donating dog food to them on a monthly basis. We volunteered to take him in .... long story short we found that he had a broken back .... and through a little investigating learned or suspected that the family was letting their kids ride him like a horse. After a few months of rehab ... we got to the point where he was able to stand up and walk. After learning this ... the family said they now wanted him back .... we politely told them no ... he was with us now. He has now regained full mobility and is part of our family.
Congo ...
View attachment 171752

In our neighborhood ... there was a Nica family that was caretaking a house .... we would see them when we walked our dogs ... they had a couple of young dogs ... and we helped them out with getting them spayed and neutered and with food as well ..... but we started to notice a pattern ... that the dogs would suddenly disappear and they would not have any idea of what happened to them. We suspected they were raising bait dogs for dog fighting. Anyway ... they had this one dog ... a puppy that they kept tied to a tree in the front yard. She would periodically get loose and come over to our house and sneak under our gate and want to play with our dogs. Eventually ... this family got booted and from what we could tell abandoned the puppy .... as she showed up in our yard one day with the rope still tied around her neck ... she managed to chew her way loose and appeared to be starving. So .... we adopted another Nica dog and named her Roxy.
Roxy ..
View attachment 171756

When we moved to Nica ... we originally brought our two golden retrievers with us Wilson and Annie. About a year after moving her we lost Wilson to a tick disease that a Vet in Managua had misdiagnosed. We still have Annie ... she is 11 1/2 yrs old now .... still pretty spunky ... can't keep her out of the pool.
Annie..
View attachment 171760
Do they speak English? My dogs have all been bilingual.

Pay special attention to heart worm. Transmitted by zancudos. It’s a painful death sentence if you don’t treat it early, properly, and fast.

IMG_7053.jpeg
Once a month.

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Do they speak English? My dogs have all been bilingual.

Pay special attention to heart worm. Transmitted by zancudos. It’s a painful death sentence if you don’t treat it early, properly, and fast.

View attachment 174536
Once a month.
@ElOgro - yes they are bilingual but they can all be pretty stubborn .... but in a stern voice "get your furry ass moving" usually works. Yeah - we do the heartworm/tick ... Bravecto .. stuff .... just went through a round of parasites that our vet told us Bravecto doesn't cover. Fortunately - we have a pretty good relationship with our vet ... the funny thing is he understands English but thinks we believe he only speaks spanlsh ... so we always speak spanish with him but we're a long way from being fluent ... every once in a while we'll say something in english and he'll nod his head ... so we know he understands. It's all good ... he's a local vet ... doing well in his community and we do everything we can to support him .... especially with all the cats/dogs ... we just took a feral cat to him last week to get fixed and all the shots etc.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Not knocking you guys for importing rescues but there are no shortage of dogs in dire need here in the states. In the hood I see strays pretty much daily and wish I had the means to help them all. I unfortunately know for a fact that the local city shelter is beyond capacity and they’re literally rejecting dogs. If you find one they can’t take it. Please consider that next time you look to adopt a dog before you have one imported from somewhere else.

Also consider rescuing senior dogs. That’s what I plan to do next. I have a lot of conflicting opinions about Dave Portnoy but I have total admiration that he rescued a senior dog and raised a sh!t ton of money for the organization that aided her rescue. I’ve been enjoying the saga of Miss Peaches on IG…

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Not knocking you guys for importing rescues but there are no shortage of dogs in dire need here in the states. In the hood I see strays pretty much daily and wish I had the means to help them all. I unfortunately know for a fact that the local city shelter is beyond capacity and they’re literally rejecting dogs. If you find one they can’t take it. Please consider that next time you look to adopt a dog before you have one imported from somewhere else.

Also consider rescuing senior dogs. That’s what I plan to do next. I have a lot of conflicting opinions about Dave Portnoy but I have total admiration that he rescued a senior dog and raised a sh!t ton of money for the organization that aided her rescue. I’ve been enjoying the saga of Miss Peaches on IG…

If you're rescuing a dog, aren't you saving a dog? So does it matter where it comes from? It's still a dog's life that you're saving.