San Clemente's "2 Percenters" : the next "Brazilian Storm"?

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
From a recent interview with Harry Bryant:

“ I’m just trying to inject some charisma and character and personality back into surfing that I think has been lost since the era Jack McCoy and Taylor Steele were making surf movies. I want that rawness where people can say what they want. People are so scared to say what’s on their mind within the surf industry nowadays because there’s so many corporations and haters around every corner.

The way I see it, I’m a larrikin loudmouthed Australian that’s respectful at the same time, but I say what’s on my mind and I love making people laugh. I’ll go to the utmost lengths to make people laugh and take the **** out of any single situation that I can. If that gets me in trouble, I’ll cop it on the chin. But that’s basically the angle that I want to steer surfing towards.

I hate seeing the younger generation of surfers being so clean cut and putting so much emphasis on their future and training and losing the fun and joy of surfing. I think we’ve just gone through a really weird dark patch of not having any Kelly’s, Andy’s, Joel’s or Taj’s.

**Now we’ve got all these San Clemente clean cut robo kids basically running the show on the WSL, and it just doesn’t seem real to me.**

I want to see passion and a bit of raw mongrel injected back into surfing. I’m not trying to encourage kids to drink booze and smoke dope and go and slash people’s cars and sh!t. I just want people to be happy and actually just appreciate how lucky they are to be able to surf and have an outlet that basically lets them live a happy, enjoyable life.”

////

Anyone know the shortcut to bold something? The formatting features arent enabled for me right now.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
From a recent interview with Harry Bryant:

“ I’m just trying to inject some charisma and character and personality back into surfing that I think has been lost since the era Jack McCoy and Taylor Steele were making surf movies. I want that rawness where people can say what they want. People are so scared to say what’s on their mind within the surf industry nowadays because there’s so many corporations and haters around every corner.

The way I see it, I’m a larrikin loudmouthed Australian that’s respectful at the same time, but I say what’s on my mind and I love making people laugh. I’ll go to the utmost lengths to make people laugh and take the **** out of any single situation that I can. If that gets me in trouble, I’ll cop it on the chin. But that’s basically the angle that I want to steer surfing towards.

I hate seeing the younger generation of surfers being so clean cut and putting so much emphasis on their future and training and losing the fun and joy of surfing. I think we’ve just gone through a really weird dark patch of not having any Kelly’s, Andy’s, Joel’s or Taj’s.

**Now we’ve got all these San Clemente clean cut robo kids basically running the show on the WSL, and it just doesn’t seem real to me.**

I want to see passion and a bit of raw mongrel injected back into surfing. I’m not trying to encourage kids to drink booze and smoke dope and go and slash people’s cars and sh!t. I just want people to be happy and actually just appreciate how lucky they are to be able to surf and have an outlet that basically lets them live a happy, enjoyable life.”

////

Anyone know the shortcut to bold something? The formatting features arent enabled for some reason.
The epicenter of surfing in the mainland USA is San Clemente, specifically Lower T.

In the modern era the beach is loaded with session-analysis cameras and parents/coaches every day there's a ripple. The average age in the lineup on a schoolday is 13 and the environment is more a children's gymnastics training facility than a surf spot.

One of the largest crops of trained talent to draw from yet somehow it seems to mainly produce surfers who bomb on tour or otherwise.

Maybe the best thing to do is the opposite of whatever they're doing. Seems obvious.

I surf there a few times a week in season and two faces I never see there are Caity Simmers and Sierra Kerr. I see them elsewhere...but not there.:unsure:

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
The epicenter of surfing in the mainland USA is San Clemente, specifically Lower T.

In the modern era the beach is loaded with session-analysis cameras and parents/coaches every day there's a ripple. The average age in the lineup on a schoolday is 13 and the environment is more a children's gymnastics training facility than a surf spot.

One of the largest crops of trained talent to draw from yet somehow it seems to mainly produce surfers who bomb on tour or otherwise.

Maybe the best thing to do is the opposite of whatever they're doing. Seems obvious.

I surf there a few times a week in season and two faces I never see there are Caity Simmers and Sierra Kerr. I see them elsewhere...but not there.:unsure:
Sierra is almost never in California anymore. It’s Australia, Indo or some other trip.

Caity is content in Oside. Coincidentally, the entire 2% crew has also found a home at S Jetty lately. And I mean all of them / it’s almost like they don’t know what to do without a crowd.” So they just bring one with them when they venture outside of lowers.

• Haha
Reactions: vanrysss and Homie

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Sierra is almost never in California anymore. It’s Australia, Indo or some other trip.
Yes, but when she was.

Coincidentally, the entire 2% crew has also found a home at S Jetty lately. And I mean all of them / it’s almost like they don’t know what to do without a crowd.” So they just bring one with them when they venture outside of lowers.
It's mean streetz in Oside. Hell, Caity said the f-word on camera.

Safety in numbers.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Just talking out of the side of my neck. But if I was Brazilian I’d be screaming flat earth conspiracy to high heaven.

The way qualification to get onto the Challenger Series is structured really favors So Cal pros. Hawaii/Tahiti is their own region so the North American pros don’t have to surf against them in smaller qualifiers. Remember Griff was the first CA men’s pro to win an event since Bobby Martinez. Well Kanoa. And no champ since Curren. Hawaii has had a few.

Brazil used to swamp the Primes/QS10,000’s. Now those spots are taken up by unknown surfers from the regional qualifiers. And a lot of So Cal great white hypes.

Granted the 2% ers surfed the Challenger, made top
10 got on the CT. I feel the competition was watered down. Diamonds form under pressure.

It’s only 2 events in so some of them can turn it around with 3 to go. Clocks ticking….

Reactions: Fishyhb

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
Just talking out of the side of my neck. But if I was Brazilian I’d be screaming flat earth conspiracy to high heaven.

The way qualification to get onto the Challenger Series is structured really favors So Cal pros. Hawaii/Tahiti is their own region so the North American pros don’t have to surf against them in smaller qualifiers. Remember Griff was the first CA men’s pro to win an event since Bobby Martinez. Well Kanoa. And no champ since Curren. Hawaii has had a few.

Brazil used to swamp the Primes/QS10,000’s. Now those spots are taken up by unknown surfers from the regional qualifiers. And a lot of So Cal great white hypes.

Granted the 2% ers surfed the Challenger, made top
10 got on the CT. I feel the competition was watered down. Diamonds form under pressure.

It’s only 2 events in so some of them can turn it around with 3 to go. Clocks ticking….
What is a “great white hype” exactly

follow up question: is there a form, or a waiting list? How’s a fella get on dat

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: teeroi

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

I don't think Brazil has much of a market - it's all futbol.

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc and teeroi

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Duu if a Brazzo loses a close or not even close heat check the comments on social. Thank AI God for translate post. Some classic sh*t. There’s 215 million Brazilians some of them care about surfing. Haha.
@brukuns said they mostly care about football. The money’s not really there either.

Reactions: Havoc

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
We’re on two different sides of the equation. Yes eyeballs watching not even a fraction of futbol.

I’m talking about the number of competitors from Brazil on the CS. Which used to be more when they just took top 64 world wide plus any CT wanting to surf Prime events and wildcards.

Still lots of high level talent from Brazil not on CS. Especially in the kinds of waves some of the CS events are held

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
We’re on two different sides of the equation. Yes eyeballs watching not even a fraction of futbol.

I’m talking about the number of competitors from Brazil on the CS. Which used to be more when they just took top 64 world wide plus any CT wanting to surf Prime events and wildcards.

Still lots of high level talent from Brazil not on CS. Especially in the kinds of waves some of the CS events are held
I’m not disagreeing - I just don’t think they want to spend money down there for more QS events. It’s low ROI

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
I’m not disagreeing - I just don’t think they want to spend money down there for more QS events. It’s low ROI
Have a look at the WSL event schedule. Brazil is part of the WSL South America region. There’s at least one or two events a month until November in Brazil, South or Central America and the Caribbean. A handful is QS 5000 meaning more points cause more prize money.

Guess how many qualifying events for the Hawaii region? Four. 1 in Tahiti, Bowls, Sunset and Haleiwa, all QS1000, the bare minimum to be able to be called a WSL contest. You gotta crack quarters price money just to cover your entrance fee. If you have to miss work to surf it you still lose money unless you win.

Yes. Money is always an issue. But Brazil/S America region got it better than most. Just not that many guaranteed spots on the CS which means less chances of moving up to the CT.

• Wow
Reactions: PRCD

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Yes, but when she was.

It's mean streetz in Oside. Hell, Caity said the f-word on camera.

Safety in numbers.
When she was it was Campgrounds. The worst wave with the best crew around. First time I saw BettyLou was there. Molly too.

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
Duu if a Brazzo loses a close or not even close heat check the comments on social. Thank AI God for translate post. Some classic sh*t. There’s 215 million Brazilians some of them care about surfing. Haha.
The fanatism of some Brazilian fans online is wild. I like to click the profile pics to check out who they are. So many are people who have zero surfing experience or one shot of them on a soft top riding white water. Despite the lack of any understanding of surfing they are 1000% sure its a conspiracy every time a Brazilian loses a heat. Nice to see level headed people like Brukins are out there though.

That being said IDK if any of the 2% are phenom level to really make a dent on tour. On the other hand I thought Kanoa was gonna be off tour immediately and he turned into one of the most consistent.

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Loads of rabid Brazilians online, it's really annoying. They complain the judges are robbing them even when they're winning their heats. It's really cringey.

• Haha
Reactions: teeroi