Filipe to retire?

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Yeah, we need our surfers to be tougher than this, like Sunny.
Being a champ is as much about having the mental toughness as the athletic talent. Snowflakes are definitely a trend among the latest crop of athletes. They blame their mental health every time they don't want to compete or do badly - an olympic gymnast takes a mental health break from competition letting down her team, prior to that a skater complains his aura was all white which is why he failed. Where's the grit? Why the narcissism?

Reactions: Havoc and Chocki

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
lol we have a thread on this bb that’s filled with men here discussing mental health, thoughts of suicide etc.

I guess top surfers are immune. Especially given the great history surfers have with alcohol/drug abuse, mental illness etc.

i don’t know anything about Filipe’s mental state other than what he’s said. If you think it’s appropriate to diagnose a guy you’ve never met because he surfs well, have at it.
You just did, didn't you??

None of the words you just posted, came from him.

He's a make believe champion, who can't run with the big dogs, or the women either for that matter, and he knows it.

He won by playing flipper on small/medium waves, on a tour designed for him.

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
So the guy doesnt charge dangerous waves...thats his business as far as Im concerned. He could easily win a few more titles in the current format. He has to be the best small wave surfer in the world right now hands down. Dont hate the player hate the game.

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
Being a champ is as much about having the mental toughness as the athletic talent. Snowflakes are definitely a trend among the latest crop of athletes. They blame their mental health every time they don't want to compete or do badly - an olympic gymnast takes a mental health break from competition letting down her team, prior to that a skater complains his aura was all white which is why he failed. Where's the grit? Why the narcissism?
Are you calling sunny a snowflake? thats pretty dark lol

• Dislike
Reactions: PRCD

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
It's his job to charge dangerous waves.

This is like a NFL quarterback faking injury for certain games when he decides the guys who might sack him are too big.
It his job to win world titles. Thats it. literally his job. If he does that without surfing waves of consequence more power to him as far as I am concerned. He won the world title last year...won it. Won it pretty convincingly. And chances are he probably would have won it again this year given the current tour. Whether he is deserving of respect as a surfer is up to you... out of all the pros who dont charge heavy waves I am impressed enough by his rail and air game that I tip the hat to the chap...good on ya flipperino...take all the time off you want..you earned it champ.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
His people failed him. He should’ve gone with a more ironclad reason for his departure. Something people would have a really hard time making fun of and instead be forced to see him as an inspiration. I’d have gone with substance abuse myself. It worked for Ben Gravy.

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
If I had a dime for every one of the people here that talked about how awful Pip's surfing is over the years - including his incredible surfing at Jbay, saying he would never amount to anything - that are now slobbing his nob like corn on the cob...I could quit work for good.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
i used to be a big fliipy fan - watched alot of his videos and interviews..didnt see anything from those that looked like depression. i knew one of the team managers at hurley (someone who used to travel with him) - im pretty sure he woulda brought it up at some point cause we used to talk about Hurleys surfers in the comps alot. nada.

these days people call being nervous, anxiety. a bad day - depression..no. if its not crippling, stops you from doing what you need to do or have been prescribed actual meds - youre just a human being with intricate feelings and senses like the rest of us.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
It his job to win world titles. Thats it. literally his job.
No.

The WSL is a spectator sport.

It is his job to surf WSL events for our entertainment.

That is his job.

Whether he wins a world title is irrelevant as long as he continues to entertain us with his surfing; in doing so he will continue on tour. A ratings system is used to ensure the surfers who are less entertaining fall off.

The battle for a world title exists but it is not the main draw; the main draw is to see the best surfers in the world doing the best surfing in some of the best waves on the planet.

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
No.

That is his job.

Whether he wins a world title is irrelevant as long as he continues to entertain us with his surfing; in doing so he will continue on tour. A ratings system is used to ensure the surfers who are less entertaining fall off.

The battle for a world title exists but it is not the main draw; the main draw is to see the best surfers in the world doing the best surfing in some of the best waves on the planet.
huh?

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
No.

That is his job.

I don't know anyone who wants to win with a big asterix behind it. That's basically admitting you don't win stuff and will take whatever you can get like a loser.

We want champs that charge, like this:

and this: