Filipe to retire?

Clayster

Phil Edwards status
Oct 26, 2005
I offered that pipe doesn't matter to the current wsl world tour. On the current sh!t tour trestles matters, a surfer can skip pipe and still win the world title at trestles..which we all agree is bullshit. I also offered that to professional contest surfers vying for a title - the title matters more to them professionally than anything else professionally. A win at real pipe is something to celebrate, but the only title I believe to be equal or better than world champ would be the Triple Crown, but seeing as it does not exist anymore tough titties , again that is my opinion. As far as some moral judgment on Felipe for being a coward I could care less..I enjoy watching him surf small waves...any issue I have is with the tour, not him.
I wasn't replying to you maninbras.

But, if you want to be respected as a world champ, you have to charge pipe. You don't have to win, but you have to compete. Period.

Hell, a passle of women charged it, along with 52 year old Slater.

I don't know what to say about a guy who gets all sorts of worms in his head about the horrible prospect of having to surf the best waves in the world with only two guys out, all the while getting paid to do it.

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Something occurred to me...

Don't they only give a wildcard for next year if you're the current world champ... I think I read that somewhere.

If that's the case (I'm not sure it is), and Filipe was contemplating a year off (God knows I would love a year off if I could afford it), it would make sense that he chooses now to do so. Do it later, he may not be a world champ, and the price for a year off would be battling the QS for a full year before getting back to the CT (which we all know he can do with ease).

I really hope he puts in the time and shuts us all up... such a shame to have all that talent go to waste.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California

Don't they only give a wildcard for next year if you're the current world champ... I think I read that somewhere.

If that's the case (I'm not sure it is), and Filipe was contemplating a year off (God knows I would love a year off if I could afford it), it would make sense that he chooses now to do so. Do it later, he may not be a world champ, and the price for a year off would be battling the QS for a full year before getting back to the CT (which we all know he can do with ease).

I really hope he puts in the time and shuts us all up... such a shame to have all that talent go to waste.
They gave one to Kelly this year and obviously he wasn't the defending world champ.

They might have a rulebook with some convoluted clauses but when it comes down to it there's no definitive rule(s) on who they give wildcards to. It really just comes down to whoever they feel like giving it to at the time.

What'll be interesting is Joao Chianca's situation next year. If he's ready to compete again, did Felipe just swipe his wildcard?

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
They gave one to Kelly this year and obviously he wasn't the defending world champ.

They might have a rulebook with some convoluted clauses but when it comes down to it there's no definitive rule(s) on who they give wildcards to. It really just comes down to whoever they feel like giving it to at the time.

What'll be interesting is Joao Chianca's situation next year. If he's ready to compete again, did Felipe just swipe his wildcard?
The WSL always bended the rules for Kelly. And they will continue to do so as long as Kelly is willing.

Reactions: jkb

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016

lol, 2x world champ, multiple X event winner from Sunset to J Bay, Bells, Haleiwa, and most places in between, Olympic qualifier, 10 year WCT career - what a waste.

And like Steph, this has already been negotiated with the WSL.

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
I wasn't replying to you maninbras.

But, if you want to be respected as a world champ, you have to charge pipe. You don't have to win, but you have to compete. Period.

Hell, a passle of women charged it, along with 52 year old Slater.

I don't know what to say about a guy who gets all sorts of worms in his head about the horrible prospect of having to surf the best waves in the world with only two guys out, all the while getting paid to do it.
It must be super weird when Filipe and Moana Jones-Wong run in to each other at Lei-Leis

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
It’s confusing but you still have to make a showing to qualify. First Olympics one of the CT surfers tried to flop first heat and bounce still advanced and had surf another round to flop.
This going they added an incentive. If your country wins overall mens or women’s team that country get a third athlete. Peer pressure to get an additional team mate on.

Reactions: menobrah and Aruka