Filipe to retire?

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
Did he say anything about the Olympics? My guess is this Pipe contest was a dose of reality he needed. Assume he’s gonna try to spend the next 6 months training for Chopes so he does’nt embarrass himself on the world stage.

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc and waxfoot

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Did he say anything about the Olympics? My guess is this Pipe contest was a dose of reality he needed. Assume he’s gonna try to spend the next 6 months training for Chopes so he does’nt embarrass himself on the world stage.
If he does this, then hats off to him - that's the way to shut everyone up. If I was a betting man, I'd bet against that though.

Reactions: SirKooksALot

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Toledo should just simply say, "I don't surf those type of conditions." EVERYONE on the tour, (and probably here) has their own limits. How focked would it be to be in a wheelchair, because people told you to do something and you thought better, but did it anyway.
If he's going to be on tour it's his job to surf waves like Pipe.

That's what he and everyone else signed up to do.

If the conditions were unreasonable it's one thing - but this was not, and has not been the case over the years when he has faked injury and avoided catching waves in heats.

The gig is now up since the women put on a performance at Pipe and he knows it.

Also - I think guy who is worried about injury woulda worn a helmet out there, Pip didn't, probably because he never planned to catch a wave in the first place.

Bailing on the tour will also allow him to bail on the Olympics, where he would have again faced embarrassment at Chopes.

I'm not surprised if he's done with the tour. This was a problem he should have solved almost a decade ago. By not facing it he allowed it to grow bigger, to the point where he's cowering at a wave he's previously had some handle on. TBH from reports over the years it doesn't seem like he put in the time, plain and simple.

I've been one if his biggest fans since very early and defended him plenty here over the years, but this really isn't defensible.

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
2nd paragraph references his mental health. He’s spoken about depression for several years:

Doesn't mention depression.

Also, nothing he's talking about there sounds like what clinical depression is like.

Says he called his coach, went surfing, and felt better.

That's not depression. That's feeling a little bit down.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019

Also, nothing he's talking about there sounds like what clinical depression is like.

the current crop of 20/30's are quik to the clinical depression card everytime their ego gets a little weepy

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
"Mental health issues" seems to be an easy ambiguous catchall these days.

Dare I say it's used much to elicit sympathy.

Just come out and say what you're dealing with. If you can't come up with specifics - anxiety, depression, etc - then you need to reevaluate or reword your claim.

One thing a lot of people don't know is BeachGrit had a well done video series started some years back where Pip took on his demons at Chopes...

"The burden to set the narrative fell upon him and his team. Derek Rielly, in fact, saw his Teahupoo terror early, recognized it and we attempted to solve, here, with a beautiful vid series about him learning from the best, there, and paddling into a bomb. He was completely on board at the start. His team deep-sixed near the finish line. All fingers pointing back to the puppies eating scraps from Filipe Toledo's table including his father."

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016

Ok. You know best. im sure he’d love your input.