Filipe to retire?

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Duu I worked on a house in front of Freddie/Vland. Sean Penn and his ex Robin Wright had a house 2 doors down. Saw him walking around and driving past and thought there’s Spicoli.

I surfed Vland almost every day for 3 months but never once saw Mr. Danger out there. But it was an El Niño year and Phantoms broke every week. Maybe he was out there. Haha.

Reactions: Havoc

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
To be fair, “wokeness” is what brought the women to pipe. And that was the highlight of the event.
Yeah but they didn't run it on a heavy contestable day for the men. Giving women more opportunities should not be a zero-sum game with the men.

Worthwhile trade for having to listen to Joel Turpel relearn how to say Teahupoo IMO.
This is fair.

Clayster

Phil Edwards status
Oct 26, 2005
Now how the fuck would I know that?
You have offered the opinion that Pipe doesn't really matter, and what a WSL surfer wants "above anything else" is a world title. This appeared to be some excuse for Flippy's wimp out.

Sure, pro surfers want to win a world title, but if you asked them which event they want to win the most, I bet most would say Pipe. A win there brings the most prestige, always has.

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
Yeah but they didn't run it on a heavy contestable day for the men. Giving women more opportunities should not be a zero-sum game with the men.
Do they have to run both men and women on the same day every time? If so, I didn’t know that.

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
You have offered the opinion that Pipe doesn't really matter, and what a WSL surfer wants "above anything else" is a world title. This appeared to be some excuse for Flippy's wimp out.

Sure, pro surfers want to win a world title, but if you asked them which event they want to win the most, I bet most would say Pipe. A win there brings the most prestige, always has.
I offered that pipe doesn't matter to the current wsl world tour. On the current sh!t tour trestles matters, a surfer can skip pipe and still win the world title at trestles..which we all agree is bullshit. I also offered that to professional contest surfers vying for a title - the title matters more to them professionally than anything else professionally. A win at real pipe is something to celebrate, but the only title I believe to be equal or better than world champ would be the Triple Crown, but seeing as it does not exist anymore tough titties , again that is my opinion. As far as some moral judgment on Felipe for being a coward I could care less..I enjoy watching him surf small waves...any issue I have is with the tour, not him.

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
It's really gotta be tweaking Pip's head seeing a teenage girl with more balls and courage than him win Pipe. If I was him, I would be removing that lion tat off his chest during his hiatus.

He's either gotta retire, or get a helmet and commit to chucking himself over ledges - hire a Hawaiian hell-man to tutor him if need be.

And yes, for the record, dude surfs circles around me - but I don't get paid to surf and I'm not a supposed "world champ."
Not trying to be a dick

Reactions: PRCD and Havoc

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I bet if you asked Bobby Martinez, he'd tell you this is all a setup for a Battle of the Sexes at Pipe with $$$$$ at stake.

Felipe Toledo vs. Carissa Moore.

Potential undercards:

Bethany Hamilton vs. Jimbo Pellegrini
Sasha Lowerson vs. Peter Drouyn

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
I bet if you asked Bobby Martinez, he'd tell you this is all a setup for a Battle of the Sexes at Pipe with $$$$$ at stake.

Potential undercards:

hamilton vs pellegrini … chefs kiss

Reactions: santacruzin

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019

Potential undercards:

To his credit, “mixed doubles” is the most tennis thing ever.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
A win at Pipe is highly respected world wide. Even people who don’t surf knows a little about Pipeline.

I think the most important win for most CT surfers and the one that stresses them out the most is winning at their home break.

Jordy at JBay not home break but home country.
Steph and Mick at Snapper.
Jeremy in France not his home break but country.
John at Pipe after how many seconds.

Michel barely won a heat at Teahupo’o.
Tiago Pires never won a heat in Portugal.

Of course Toledo’s adopted home break Trestles. Well he rules there.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
A win at Pipe is highly respected world wide. Even people who don’t surf knows a little about Pipeline.

I think the most important win for most CT surfers and the one that stresses them out the most is winning at their home break.

Jordy at JBay not home break but home country.
Steph and Mick at Snapper.
Jeremy in France not his home break but country.
John at Pipe after how many seconds.

Michel barely won a heat at Teahupo’o.
Tiago Pires never won a heat in Portugal.

Of course Toledo’s adopted home break Trestles. Well he rules there.
He has to go back.

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
In Filipe's defense, he's got a wife and kids now. That changes things in terms of risk taking in the water. You can't hesitate or second guess taking off backside in top to bottom barrels or you will get hurt.
Though I have been defending him throughout the thread - he was a pussy in waves of consequence before he had a wife and kids...its not like he is a reformed hellman or anything.

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil

No, you are the one who just said Pipe doesn't really matter. I have never written those words or anything close to it. But hey, keep doing what you're doing, having a fertile imagination is something very special.