Filipe to retire?

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
the current crop of 20/30's are quik to the clinical depression card everytime their ego gets a little weepy
lol we have a thread on this bb that’s filled with men here discussing mental health, thoughts of suicide etc.

I guess top surfers are immune. Especially given the great history surfers have with alcohol/drug abuse, mental illness etc.

i don’t know anything about Filipe’s mental state other than what he’s said. If you think it’s appropriate to diagnose a guy you’ve never met because he surfs well, have at it.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
No problem. I can speak from personal experience.
I can too, fortunately my stuff is mild. But I’ve got a bipolar kid as well, and even after going through years with it, I still don’t understand it.

I’m not inclined to speculate on a guy I’ve only spoken to a few times in passing. If you are, great.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
lol we have a thread on this bb that’s filled with men here discussing mental health, thoughts of suicide etc.

I guess top surfers are immune. Especially given the great history surfers have with alcohol/drug abuse, mental illness etc.

i don’t know anything about Filipe’s mental state other than what he’s said. If you think it’s appropriate to diagnose a guy you’ve never met because he surfs well, have at it.
All we know is what he said in the article you posted.

He was feeling glum. Then he called up his coach and went surfing, and then he felt the healing powers of the ocean and felt better again.

That's not depression, if anything it minimizes what depression is actually like.

Reactions: Havoc

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019

for the smartest guy in the room, you make a lot of assumptions

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
All we know is what he said in the article you posted.

He was feeling glum. Then he called up his coach and went surfing, and then he felt the healing powers of the ocean and felt better again.

That's not depression, if anything it minimizes what depression is actually like.
Depression hits everyone differently. Men are particularly bad at recognizing depression and even worse at discussing it. It’s why men are 4x more likely to commit suicide than women.

like I said, if you’re good diagnosing a guy based on the description he gave (not in his first language mind you) in a surf mag interview then that’s great.

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
I'd put 50 on this year off including Chopes.
That’d be career suicide. I don’t think he’s that down-and-out yet despite the monumental gap he needs to cross in the next few months.

I’ll bite. $50 on it. The only caveat, if he bails due to a proper injury, bet’s off.

Mar 7, 2018
I am not an avid watcher of wsl. But from what I’ve seen ft is very good on his forehand up to 2xOH if it isn’t a critical wave. Not a fan of his backhand style tbh.
The question is whether a world surfing champion can legitimately claim the title with a weakness in their game. Most would accommodate a weakness in small waves. But few seem willing to allow a player to be weak in big heavy waves. After all these conditions are what strikes fear into most average joes. thus, the hero should be able to conquer these conditions by default.
Fact is that he has not performed well in sh!t your pants conditions over the years. Currently people are calling him out on it. It is easy to ignore the keyboard warriors, but harder to ignore that just recently at least three women walked the walk with better grace, skill and determination than he could muster.
it must provoke some self reflection.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
In WSL’s effort to create a tour format that was friendly for the female competitors they inadvertently created a format where someone who isn’t comfortable in dangerous waves could become the world champ on the men’s side. It’s led to embarrassment both for the WSL and the two time champion last week with dubious stomach bugs and not running on a day they should have run. This led to open mockery of both WSL and the champ. Poorly handled posts on social media by WSL leadership and the champ’s camp only made things worse. This put the champ in an impossible situation going forward. Just my humble opinion.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
The WSL has put themselves in a position where they have to choose the venues and conditions where the women can compete side by side with the men. At the same time they can't risk any of the competitors getting severely injured or worse, particularly the female competitors, by sending them out into waves of consequence. The liability financially and in the media would be enormous. They can't come right out and admit this so they have to make lame excuses and alter the formats and tour schedule. The fans, particularly the fans who actually surf or are old enough to remember how things were run in the past, can see right through all of this. It boiled over at Pipeline and the Champ unfortunately took it right on the head like getting caught inside in the worst spot at Backdoor. There is no shame in having the female tour surf Honolua Bay in their own event instead of Pipe. Having the tour wrap up at Lowers instead of Hawaii has been a huge mistake and the chickens are coming home to roost. The current champ is not the first tour surfer nor the last to wilt facing big waves at Pipe. I just feel bad that he's been put in a position where he is the champ and was put into this position based on the flawed format and bad decisions that got things where they are today. More of my opinions. I'm going surfing now. Cheers.

Reactions: kawika and Havoc

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Doesn't mention depression.

Also, nothing he's talking about there sounds like what clinical depression is like.

Says he called his coach, went surfing, and felt better.

That's not depression. That's feeling a little bit down.
Well, failing to tackle problems in life will make you depressed - failing to live up to expectations or the standards set by men before you. :roflmao:

The WSL has put themselves in a position where they have to choose the venues and conditions where the women can compete side by side with the men. At the same time they can't risk any of the competitors getting severely injured or worse, particularly the female competitors, by sending them out into waves of consequence. The liability financially and in the media would be enormous. They can't come right out and admit this so they have to make lame excuses and alter the formats and tour schedule. The fans, particularly the fans who actually surf or are old enough to remember how things were run in the past, can see right through all of this. It boiled over at Pipeline and the Champ unfortunately took it right on the head like getting caught inside in the worst spot at Backdoor. There is no shame in having the female tour surf Honolua Bay in their own event instead of Pipe. Having the tour wrap up at Lowers instead of Hawaii has been a huge mistake and the chickens are coming home to roost. The current champ is not the first tour surfer nor the last to wilt facing big waves at Pipe. I just feel bad that he's been put in a position where he is the champ and was put into this position based on the flawed format and bad decisions that got things where they are today. More of my opinions. I'm going surfing now. Cheers.
It is completely unreasonable to expect the women to compete side-by-side with the men since women have 2-3 times less upper-body strength and other athletic disadvantages compared to men. If a woman gets seriously injured at Pipe - like you said - everyone feels bad for deliberately endangering a woman so the WSL has to maximize safetyism. The WSL's policy and format is just another form of transgenderism.

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc and Woke AF

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Due’s a world champ, he can retire whenever he wants…. And still have achieved more than 99.99999% of the posters here combined.
You're damning with faint praise, sir. This is a surfing forum. High-achievers do not post here. Instead we're debating his achievement relative to past champs.