*** Official 2024 Community Surf Journal ***

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
fun surfs to start 2024. bummer I’ll have to break the streak.

realized I’m super out of paddle shape but still have plenty of lift in the step. might have even had a 0.0001s toob this morning.

goal of the year is to get in more maintenance sessions. I’m creaky.

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
^ Yep, it's amazing how out of surf shape I can get in as little as a week, especially in the winter. It's been flat here since last Wednesday, but got a little KH-WH bump today. Rode the 27L Bullet and really wish I had brought the 30L Plasmic. Was huffing and puffing after the first couple waves, but managed to sneak in a few fun ones. Surfed for 1.5 hours.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
30 min solo sesh in marginal conditions at a disorganized reef. I know this wave and the rights always suck so as I was paddling out I was telling myself to stick to the lefts, dont go right, go left, left, left, left.

A right comes to me and of course I go and its a mushburger to closeout on shallow reef and im stuck in there duckdiving the rest of the set.

After much fussing and fighting I managed a red hot streak of two, that's right, two whole lefts in a row, one of which actually stood up and allowed for a couple smackaroos.

After that though it was all over. Couldnt buy a wave. Too far out, too far in, too wide, too deep. Spank me harder. A little onshore breeze perhaps?

Finally took a closeout in to the beach to hang up my QS jersey.

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
30 min solo sesh in marginal conditions at a disorganized reef. I know this wave and the rights always suck so as I was paddling out I was telling myself to stick to the lefts, dont go right, go left, left, left, left.

A right comes to me and of course I go and its a mushburger to closeout on shallow reef and im stuck in there duckdiving the rest of the set.
I think you is me! Here you are taking off on some rights in marginal conditions at a disorganized reef (name of spot= Frostie's)

Last edited:

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
After 2 days of snaking drains and opening up a wall to find the plumbing issue, I was feeling sore and stiff but paddled out on my Kenson 5 8 quad earlier and had a great session. Lots of bowly waves and a good crew, all competent and taking turns. Got one nice tube and nearly came out of another one backside. 456D0A7B-88DC-4150-91BA-4EB40F3E52B3.jpeg
now back to work.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Smallish but fun reef waves with just a couple other people. Last time i surfed this wave i was like 15 years old and i hit the reef and got urchin spines in my hands. This time went a bit better.

Guy on his CC longfish was making it look pretty fun. I had a to be a bit more selective on the bomdia but the set waves were plenty good enough to make speed and get some turns in. Wind turned and it was just me an an old guy for a while. Surfed for two hours after fishing all morning. Almost nodded off after lunch. Hopefully more of the same tomorrow.

Last edited:

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Had many fun sessions lately during these last few swells. It’s been a great winter so far with hopefully more to come.

Reactions: jkb and Havoc

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Morning session on the new board. It’s so fun. Sets were swinging wide so I sat wide and picked off a bunch. Realized you had to judiciously take off on big board riders who were not making sections, made for a super fun morning.

Got a ton of waves and everyone was having a good time. Campbell bros make good surfborts

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
After 2 days of snaking drains and opening up a wall to find the plumbing issue, I was feeling sore and stiff but paddled out on my Kenson 5 8 quad earlier and had a great session. Lots of bowly waves and a good crew, all competent and taking turns. Got one nice tube and nearly came out of another one backside. View attachment 169941
now back to work.
damn. what was the issue?

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
As for todays surf, another stellar day in socal, I broke my rule of not surfing saturdays but there was plenty of swell, but plenty of people, sat underneath on the kenson quad and got a ton of waves for 2 hours, now gonna walk the coast with my wife and spock out some spots for tomorrow's session.

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
Checked Donkeyland, 4-6' W semi walled with some very make-able shoulders if in the right spot. Watched a couple competent guys paddle out, after 15 minutes of duck diving and only 2/3 of the way out I decided to pass. 2-4' at the regular, much more shadowed, got a few fun rights. Air was cold water nice 6-2 twinzer :shaka:

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
Well, I guess I know how sandbars rearranged themselves after that swell. Solid overhead lefts on outer sandbars, hollow, grinding, for at least 100 yards and then another 100 yards of rippable Trestles-like inside section. Channel where it dumped out too.

All completely inaccessible due to the shorebreak sandbar moving about 100 feet offshore, relentless overhead dumpers every 6 seconds (many of which were spitting/barfing barrels) with an occasional 15 second lull, with a visibly massive sweep up the beach that you would have no hope of even getting to or staying in position on. Watched it vainly for an hour with another local.

Ended up at the alternative spot Gabriel Garcia Marquez would have called 363 Days of Dogshit. Needed to get wet but shouldn't have bothered, backwashy, dumpy, closeout crap.
If you're gonna live there and surf that spot you have to be willing and able to make that paddle. There's always a channel or a moment to punch out.

Sandbars down here are good. I've logged some tube time in 2024.

Reactions: Kento and Havoc

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Sunny 48F leaving the house. empty as fook and multi set waves. yeeee. bagged 2 good ones in the first 10 min.

thought floater when I should have tucked in or straightened out and got nailed by the board in the gut and dragged for a bit with my front foot tangled in the leash lol

love cold clean winter mornings. took a 2.5hr nap this afternoon. stocked.

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Sandbars definitely moved around a bit and somehow typically walled beachbreak was making sense of of the 19 second interval. Plenty of good waves out there today late morning into afternoon, a few fun easy tubes, very rippable top to bottom faces, crystal clear water. Minimal competition and no barneys so basically got any wave I wanted so I'm happy.